Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#221112 - 26/02/2002 14:43 Supported USB Ethernet devices
douglsmith
stranger

I'm trying to get a Rio Central up on ethernet with no luck so far. I have an SMC 2202USB ethernet adapter. The manual says it's supported, but it's not listed in the About screen. Anyone know which is correct?

#221113 - 26/02/2002 15:39 Re: Supported USB Ethernet devices [Re: douglsmith]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Do you get a link-light on the USB adapter? Are you using the right kind of cable?

Have you set up ethernet in your house before? If this is your first stab at any kind of an ethernet connection at all, it might be a common "this is my first network" mistake like using the wrong cable, setting the wrong settings, etc. Check out general ethernet troubleshooting tips (for the car player, but most of them apply to this as well) here. Go through those first and then get back to us...

#221114 - 27/02/2002 13:34 Re: Supported USB Ethernet devices [Re: tfabris]
douglsmith
stranger

I did a little more playing around and have verified that the USB ethernet adapter is not the problem. I can ping the central okay. In fact, I was able to hit it with my web browser and download files or stream music from it.

However, the Emplode softare just won't find it, even on the same computer that I used to reach it with a web browser. I suspect it's a problem with the computer. I'll have to dig a little deeper there.

#221115 - 27/02/2002 18:51 Re: Supported USB Ethernet devices [Re: douglsmith]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Loc: Detroit, MI USA
Perhaps, but I've noticed that with my empeg, emplode is more sensitive to network settings. For example, I can ping an empeg all day long that is connected via a crossover cable, but emplode won't see it if the last number in the IP is more than a few numbers away from the IP on the PC. Differant subnet? Forget it!

I only have experience with peer-to-peer, but make sure the IP's are very close.

#221116 - 28/02/2002 02:33 Re: Supported USB Ethernet devices [Re: douglsmith]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
Did you enable emplode connectivity in the Central's settings dialog? Also, try a unicast address in emplode, rather than a broadcast.

#221117 - 28/02/2002 11:03 Re: Supported USB Ethernet devices [Re: Roger]
douglsmith
stranger

That was all it was. I didn't realize that emplode had to be enabled on the Central. It took me a little while to find it hiding in the emplode password screen.

Thanks for your help!

#221118 - 28/02/2002 12:52 Re: Supported USB Ethernet devices [Re: douglsmith]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
I didn't realize it needed to be enabled, either. But now that I think about it, it makes sense. Because if something like that is plugged into a network, it needs to default to a "Secure" mode first, and if someone enables network connectivity, they need to be in the password-entry screen at the same time they enable it.

Very sensible design decision.