Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#221195 - 13/03/2002 11:28 Oh dear, the Rio Central is on Slashdot
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK
http://slashdot.org/features/02/03/13/1613225.shtml?tid=137

with all the usual "why would I want one of those when my PC does more than that already" replies...

#221196 - 13/03/2002 23:49 Re: Oh dear, the Rio Central is on Slashdot [Re: andy]
drakino
carpal tunnel

I agree to some extent with the whole PC argument. Most people there have MP3 ripping down to a very quick process that they can easially do over and over again. For them, a Rio Reciever is perfect. Now their parents/non tech friends, the Rio Central is great. If the price drops a fair amount by the end of the year, I may grab one for my mother. Though at least it's not as bad as the price on the CES winner, the Fireball. For some reason they liked that it could network with another Fireball in the house but forgot the Rio Central serves the much cheaper Rio Reciever with no problems.

#221197 - 14/03/2002 04:26 Re: Oh dear, the Rio Central is on Slashdot [Re: drakino]
peter
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge, England
Fireball

Interesting that it speaks to CD changers. Before I joined empeg, I was thinking of building myself an MP3-thin-client-plus-CD-changer-controller PC, but then (especially after getting a receiver to play with) realised that it was less work and more scalable just to rip everything and have it all on MP3.

Peter

#221198 - 14/03/2002 06:03 Re: Oh dear, the Rio Central is on Slashdot [Re: drakino]
Fiddy
new poster

Loc: Indianapolis, IN, USA
One thing I definitely have to agree with is that the Fireball is overpriced... but then again so is its near-identical twin the Kenwood's Sovereign Entre... their little brother (Compaq's Ipaq Digital Music Center) is a little more reasonable, but a few less features...

One thing they do have that's nice is their on-screen interface... but I guess I'm a little biased.

#221199 - 14/03/2002 08:42 Re: Oh dear, the Rio Central is on Slashdot [Re: peter]
dschuetz
new poster

I was thinking of building myself an MP3-thin-client-plus-CD-changer-controller PC

Has anyone been able to hook up a CDR-Jukebox to a computer to do mass ripping? I've gone through about four different encoders on my collection, and some are showing their lack of quality. I'd like to be able to stick in 50-100 CDs, hit "go", and come back in a day or so to find a fully re-ripped set of music.

'course, I'd then have to go through and re-tag everything, but them's the breaks. I'd hold on to the jukebox for future projects, too....

My biggest problem so far: Finding a cheap 100-CD jukebox, preferably one with multiple engines so I can have a couple readers and a writer....

#221200 - 14/03/2002 09:42 Re: Oh dear, the Rio Central is on Slashdot [Re: dschuetz]
peter
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge, England
Has anyone been able to hook up a CDR-Jukebox to a computer to do mass ripping?

It should certainly be possible. In the olden days, jukeboxes with PC interfaces used to be much more expensive than audio-only ones (£18K vs £400) but the gap seems to have narrowed: http://www.dvdjukebox.com seems to have a Firewire changer for only $1000.

Peter