Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#221601 - 09/06/2002 22:23 Linux drivers for the HPNA card?
silicon
stranger

Does anyone know if there are Linux drivers available for the HPNA card and/or what chipset it may be using?

Thanks

#221602 - 10/06/2002 04:25 Re: Linux drivers for the HPNA card? [Re: silicon]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
There are Linux drivers available for the HPNA card. Whether they're available or not is another thing entirely. The chip is a Broadcom BCM4210.

Ah, try here.

I don't think that these are the official Broadcom drivers, but they're worth a try. Let us know how you get on.

#221603 - 10/06/2002 12:38 Re: Linux drivers for the HPNA card? [Re: Roger]
silicon
stranger

Thank you so much. I have compiled and installed the drivers. Will test them when I get home from work after I put the HPNA card in my Linux box. Where I have moved to, there is no easy way to run CAT5 from my JReceiver server to the RIO and HPNA would be a great solution.

I'll keep you posted as to whether or not it works for me.

Thanks again!!!

#221604 - 11/06/2002 03:02 Re: Linux drivers for the HPNA card? [Re: silicon]
Roger
carpal tunnel

there is no easy way to run CAT5

There are few problems that can't be handled with a large enough drill bit .

#221605 - 11/06/2002 11:00 Re: Linux drivers for the HPNA card? [Re: Roger]
mtempsch
pooh-bah

Loc: Gothenburg, Sweden
... and those can be handled by a suitable application of high explosives.

/Michael

#221606 - 11/06/2002 15:06 Re: Linux drivers for the HPNA card? [Re: Roger]
silicon
stranger

Well, I can bring the card up as eth2 (running IP tables and using my Linux box as my router), but I am unable to get a link light on the HPNA card. This may be due to the fact that I do not currently have telephone service. I have free VoIP telophony from my job. Unlimited calls/long distance and a real telephone number for full intergration with the POTS, therefore I don't really plan on hooking up a regular phone.

Can anyone confirm for me as to whether or not you need the telephone hooked up (i.e. to get the power that normally flows across the telephone lines) in order for the HPNA setup to work. If so...then I think everything is great as I can ifconfig eth2 and it then shows up with the parameters I passed to it. I do see the activity light on the HPNA card flicker occasionally though. Pretty easy to get up on Linux.....

Compile the package by untarring and then typing 'gmake' in the untarred dir. Copy the driver files (the ones with .o as the extension) into /lib/modules/'kernelversion'/kernel/drivers/net/

modprobe il
then configure using: ifconfig ethX XXXXXXXXXX

Of course...this is the manual way. After you have everything setup...you could simply add this to your startup scripts.

Thanks,

SJ

#221607 - 11/06/2002 15:09 Re: Linux drivers for the HPNA card? [Re: silicon]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
I do not believe an actual telephone needs to be hooked up.

If I recall correctly, it will function via an ordinary telephone wire plugged from the card directly into the receiver.

If the two things are in separate rooms (server and receiver) try temporarily moving the receiver to the same room and using a short piece of telephone wire directly connecting the server and the receiver. If that works, then you know the problem is in the premises wiring somewhere.

#221608 - 12/06/2002 01:58 Re: Linux drivers for the HPNA card? [Re: tfabris]
Roger
carpal tunnel

You don't need a telephone hooked up for HPNA to work.

#221609 - 17/06/2002 17:14 Re: Linux drivers for the HPNA card? [Re: Roger]
altman
carpal tunnel

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
There were official broadcom linux drivers (no source, x86 only) somewhere on linksys' ftp site, ISTR in a beta directory or something. Worth a try.

Hugo

#221610 - 18/06/2002 18:46 Re: Linux drivers for the HPNA card? [Re: altman]
silicon
stranger

Well, I can get a link light...however..it does not appear that the RIO sees my JReceiver server. While loading the drivers, there are several things that will not load (crc.o) and one other. They give the error "could not detect kernel version driver was compiled for"...or something to that effect. I compiled with the LINUXVER=2.4.18 switch, no go, compiled after editing the Makefile...no go. il loads from a modprobe, but il_linux will not modprobe. If I insmod il_linux...it loads but fails on loading it's dependencies.

Running Slackware 8.0 headless, no X windows, custom 2.4.18 kernel, GCC 3.03, IPtables routing and firewalling, and pretty much all other server daemons available. Looks like I'll have to attempt running CAT5 through a villa with cathedral ceilings....ack!!

Thanks for all the help locating the drivers. I may have to attempt it on a system that is more "Red Hat'esq"...AcK!!! I'll have to learn something other than BSD style (Slackware) init scripts.

Thanks Again,

S.J.