Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#222991 - 29/03/2003 12:09 Player code running on the server?
pauljlucas
stranger

Loc: California
I was wondering if it's possible to write player code that actually runs on the server. Since the Rio's filesystem is NFS mounted, code running on the server machine could read/write directly to devices in /dev. If this were enough to control the player totally, then a small "stub" player could be compiled for the Rio replacing the original, and the real player could be running on the server. The advantage of this, of course, is that it's much easier to write and customize.

Anybody know if this is possible?

#222992 - 30/03/2003 08:32 Re: Player code running on the server? [Re: pauljlucas]
ZenShadow
stranger

Heya Paul

If you're talking about what I think you're talking about, it unfortunately isn't possible to do it quite that way; the major/minor information encoded in the device files will be interpereted locally at the NFS client.

For example, if your Rio /dev/audio happens to have the same major/minor as your sound card on the machine you're seeing the filesystem from, you'll open the sound card on that machine, not the Rio.

The only way to do it AFAIK would be to build some kind of proxy, but it would probably be a pretty evil project.

Now if you want to write a Windows sound driver that backends to a shoutcast stream instead of a sound card, I'd be really interested in that...

--ZS