Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#223230 - 02/06/2003 11:25 Rio Receiver and SpeedStream PowerPlug network?
visualmark
stranger

Hi,

Trying to get my Rio Receiver to work over a PowerPlug network.

The two SpeedStreams are communicating fine. I have a hub plugged into one speedstream which is plugged into my Cable Modem and my computer (the one with the server software running). The other speedstream is plugged directly into the Rio. The rio get's it's IP address ok, but it does not "see" the server when it performs it's search. The rio icon does get inserted correctly into the Audio Manager software.

When I unplug the rio from the speedstream and plug it directly into the hub, it works fine. It only seems to have an issue while working through the speedstream.

If I plug my laptop into the other speedstream, I get an internet connection, so I know the link between the two speedstreams is good.

Any ideas?

#223231 - 03/06/2003 10:39 Solved... [Re: visualmark]
visualmark
stranger

The NIC in the Rio seems to be very picky on the connection quality with the Speedstream.

Even though I can get internet through my laptop and my ReplayTV, the Rio will not get a "link" light.

If I take the speedstream upstairs, plug it into an outlet right next to the other speedstream, then the "link" light comes on, and it finds the server ok.

Since the room I want the Rio in is an addition, I started checking all of the outlets. I found one outlet that was part of the original house. When I plugged in the speedstream and the Rio, I finally got the link light.

So, the only thing I did was move around the speedstream to another outlet until I found one to work. I don't have to drop a cable to my living room now (phew!), but I still have to run a rather long ethernet cable from my one outlet to my entertainment center. Oh well, can't have your cake and eat it too!

Sounds like (from other people's experience) the WET11 and going wireless would be less of a headache (at least for the Rio).

Again, the strange part is that my other internet connections work fine - it's just the Rio that seems to be flaky.

#223232 - 04/06/2003 09:27 Re: Solved... [Re: visualmark]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Just for the heck of it, try this arrangement on the remote end of the connection:

Wall socket->Powerplug adapter->An Extra Hub->Rio Receiver

#223233 - 05/06/2003 06:48 Re: Solved... [Re: visualmark]
djc
enthusiast

Loc: chicago
interesting. if powerline networking is anything like X10 (oy!), it may be sensitive to how your home's power lines are laid out. i'm guessing each end of the connection is on a different circuit. my first question would be if these two circuits are on the same phase leg of your power panel. if you look in your breaker panel, are the breakers for these two circuits on the same side, or on opposite sides? you may have problems with connections across phases.

also, powerline networking might be sensitive to noise on the powerlines, from refrigerator motors, halogen lights, or even power strips. be glad that you found an outlet in the room that worked.

--dan.