Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#223702 - 18/09/2003 11:19 tRio - Web Interface Question
pjeffris
stranger

Loc: Chicago
Maybe this has been covered or is just stupid and impossible - sorry if so, but I'm askin' anyway - I was just wondering if trio could use the nic addresses of the rio units to identify them (at least for the purposes of the web interface) instead of the current ip's so the list of recievers could stay sort of constant through rebootings of the server etc.... ??

#223703 - 18/09/2003 11:55 Re: tRio - Web Interface Question [Re: pjeffris]
Jerz
addict

Loc: Jesusland
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I believe you should use static ip addresses in lieu of the dynamic. I had problems with the different receivers picking up different ip's as well.

#223704 - 18/09/2003 12:21 Re: tRio - Web Interface Question [Re: Jerz]
pjeffris
stranger

I guess it would then come down to the abilities of the thing doing the dhcp... Is there a way to do static ip in the rio? Or are people just using a dhcp server that keeps track of the nic addresses and always maps to the same ip? I'm unfortunately using a simple little router that has no such ability (I don't think).

#223705 - 18/09/2003 12:28 Re: tRio - Web Interface Question [Re: pjeffris]
Jerz
addict

I'm using a dhcp server on my win2k server box and mapping as you said. I was using the linksys cable/dsl router for dhcp but unfortunately was having the same ploblems as you so had to go an alternate route. There is no way to do a static ip in the rio.

#223706 - 18/09/2003 13:55 Re: tRio - Web Interface Question [Re: pjeffris]
pauln
enthusiast

Loc: UK
In tech-speak, what you need to do is to create a reservation on the dhcp server. In this you tell it which ip-address to assign to a given receiver's mac address. What's the make and model of your router and I'll have a quick look at what it's capable of?

Cheers
Paul

#223707 - 18/09/2003 15:15 Re: tRio - Web Interface Question [Re: pauln]
hipped1
journeyman

I've got the same issue with the receivers changing IP addresses every time I need to reboot the server. (The negative is that the rio named basement before reboot is now actually main level and I need to change names in the trio web app.) I have a 2wire router, but as far as I can tell no reservation process/procedure exists. Would it be technicallyhard to use the MAC address to link to the player name, it would seem to fix the problem if the router can't handle mapping the MAC to an IP address? My current workaround is not to reboot the server, but with all the windows critical updates that are coming out, thats only good for a week or so at best.

#223708 - 18/09/2003 16:03 Re: tRio - Web Interface Question [Re: pjeffris]
Jerz
addict

This is what the dhcp server looks like with the reservations set up so far.

In case you were interested.

Attachments
3912-dhcp.JPG (135 downloads)

#223709 - 18/09/2003 18:21 Re: tRio - Web Interface Question [Re: pauln]
pjeffris
stranger

>>> In tech-speak, what you need to do is to create a reservation on the dhcp server. In this you tell it which ip-address to assign to a given receiver's mac address. What's the make and model of your router and I'll have a quick look at what it's capable of?

Cheers
Paul
<<<
Thats ok - I know it won't do the hardware leasing its the linksys wrt54g (unless there is a new firmware I don't know about). I just got the magik dhcp shareware thingie which I'll probably just buy if i don't find something free...

I was just looking at it backwards assed - if the dhcp software can handle the problem why bother writing code to handle it somewhere else - heh - i just didn't wanna mess with figuring out all my mac addresses.....

Anyway Paul - thanks for a great product - this is really top notch stuff - I started with 1 rio coudple years back - I'm at 6 now and there's no way that woulda happened without tRio - Again Thanks a bunch.

And thanks for the other responses to this....

BTW - magik DHCP server seems to be a decent product....

#223710 - 19/09/2003 00:46 Re: tRio - Web Interface Question [Re: pjeffris]
pauln
enthusiast

Loc: UK
What is your "Client Lease Time" set to? Setting this to a very large value should lengthen the time between address changes. Maybe a value of all 9s will make in permanent.

Cheers
Paul

#223711 - 19/09/2003 08:26 Re: tRio - Web Interface Question [Re: pauln]
pjeffris
stranger

Well - it's in minutes with a max of 9999 - so like 6-7 days...