Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#223789 - 02/01/2004 22:27 Re: Rio Central Features [Re: tfabris]
geeknerd

thank you
thank you
thank you
thank you
thank you

#223790 - 02/01/2004 22:37 Re: Rio Central Features [Re: geeknerd]
The Central Guy
enthusiast

Loc: San Diego, California USA
I was able to download, upzip, and install the upgrade without the cddb database files successfully.

However, I am not able to unzip the larger file that does contain the cddb database files. It fails the unzip operation at abour 1/3 of the way in and says that there is invalid data. I even tried to run the PKZIPFIX DOS program and it doesn't fix the file either.....

I'd really like to get the new cddb files installed to help save lookup time...Of course, I'm assuming that the cddb files are updated. If they're the same as the ones originally released, then I guess it's a moot point....

If anyone from Rio sees this post, would it be possible to re-zip the .iso file and repost it on the website? Or perhaps post it unzipped (it's not that much larger)....

Any help would be appreciated....Thanks, Randy

#223791 - 02/01/2004 22:57 Re: Rio Central Features [Re: The Central Guy]
geeknerd

Yup, I ran into the same issue with the bigger file.

That said, the cddb probably wasn't updated. If it was updated, it was likely updated at the time when the "new" software was actually created, i.e., not recently.

#223792 - 25/03/2004 00:29 Re: Rio Central Features [Re: geeknerd]
downtownbrown
stranger

Loc: So Cal
I'm even newer to this than Newbie.
I have a significant collection on vinyl that I want to transfer. I've been looking at various machines on web and this looks exciting, but it doesn;t seem to have any possibility to input from analog.
I just recently have seen writeups on this machine, and it sounds really cool, but it appears to be on its way to the cemetery.
At $499 it sounds much more realistic than $1499, but when the price goes down like that...
Is it a viable machine?
Is there something much better coming?
Is there a way to get analog vinyl into it? I see no mention of analog input?
Thank you all for help and suggestions.
Mike Brown

#223793 - 25/03/2004 09:22 Re: Rio Central Features [Re: downtownbrown]
The Central Guy
enthusiast

Hi Mike,
I've had a Central since they first came out and have been enjoying it for about two years now...It was expensive at the time of release at $1,499, but it was the first of its kind in the market place. I bought it because I wanted a solution to fit in my stereo cabinet that was self-contained (hard drive, could play on the stereo, or stream over the network). With my very large CD collection, the Central has made it so much easier to access and listen to my music collection. I used to have to hunt for particular CDs, and now I can play the music from the Central. It's as easy as playing all music by an artist, playing an album separately, or playing a pre-generated playlist with favorite songs...

Now that Overstock is selling the units for $499, the price is a little bit more reasonable for the Central. What I find very interesting is that in the two years since the Central came out, the industry seems to have gone in a different direction. Consumer-priced players for the most part are now made to attach to a PC or some sort of file share where the music is stored. So these players just stream the music from the PC to their outputs (the Central actually stores the music).

You can get one of these "Streamer" players for about $2-300 or so. No problem, if you have a PC running most of the time that you can store the tunes on. I wanted to get away from that, and get a self-contained solution. So when I saw the Rio Central at the Consumer Electronics show, I ordered one right away. My serial number ends in "019", so maybe I have one of the first ones... While it was pricy, I use it everyday. If something else comes out that can match the Central's features and improve on them, then maybe I'll consider making a change. But the Central is doing the job for me right now...I'm listening to Pat Benatar streaming from the Central right now as I type this...(!)

The machine isn't supported any more, so the features it has are the features you'll get. A software update was released a few months ago that fixed a bug or two, so that's nice.

It doesn't have any analog inputs, so getting your record collection into the central would not be a turnkey operation. You'd have to copy the album songs onto a standalone CD burner to transfer to the Central or you'd have to copy your album tracks onto a computer with the right soundcard to digitize and then you could copy them up to the Central via the LAN connection...

There's always something better coming, but whether it will do what you want is a different matter...I have never regretted my Central purchase, as it does exactly what I want. I have a larger removable hard drive in it and can store large amounts of music on different drives. I even have a small drive filled up with Christmas music and a few other favorites to play around the holidays...

Let me know if you have any questions, as you can see I am a cheerleader for the Central....Thanks, Randy

#223794 - 25/03/2004 10:27 Re: Rio Central Features [Re: The Central Guy]
downtownbrown
stranger

Loc: So Cal
Hi Randy,
Thanks for the info.
I think I'm goiung to end up buying one...
I'll let you know.
Thanks,
Mike

#223795 - 15/04/2004 20:17 Re: Rio Central Features [Re: The Central Guy]
AMorgan
stranger

Hey, Randy, thanks for pointing me to Overstock.. I'm ripping all of my Alan Parsons Project albums right now .. my Rio Central arrived three hours ago

#223796 - 16/04/2004 08:03 Re: Rio Central Features [Re: AMorgan]
The Central Guy
enthusiast

Great, no problem....Did you already upgrade the hard drive? That's a decision you may want to make now before you get too many songs copied over the 40 GB drive.....

Enjoy the Central,

Randy

#223797 - 18/04/2004 06:14 Re: Rio Central Features [Re: The Central Guy]
AMorgan
stranger

120GB Maxtor drive arrives tomorrow.. as for copying over the songs.. I'll just rip them over. Is the zipped CDDB ISO file of 1.10 ever going to be replaced with a copy that can be sucessfully unzipped? (just a question....)

#223798 - 18/04/2004 17:05 Re: Rio Central Features [Re: AMorgan]
The Central Guy
enthusiast

Please see my thread about this right below this one. The file has been replaced and now does upzip. An error message comes up at the end for me, but the file does burn to CD okay. The CDDB files are not updated, so there's little value in this file. One of my Central's updated fine, and the other one won't update...Not sure what that is about, but you should try it and see if it works for you...Worst case you'd have to initialize the new drive with the original CD and then apply the upgrade separately...

Let us know how it works...

Thanks, Randy

#223799 - 20/04/2004 20:11 Re: Rio Central Features [Re: The Central Guy]
AMorgan
stranger

I installed 1.10 on the orginal drive, got a Rio Receiver in the kitchen playing off of the Rio Central. The 1.10 CDDB didn't work out, and I ended up, just as you said installing the 1.10 NON-CDDB.. It is sweet, however, some time is spent waiting on "lookups". Tomorrow the new drive goes in and I waste some more of my valueless time, relaxing to music.

#223800 - 21/04/2004 18:25 Re: Rio Central Features [Re: AMorgan]
AMorgan
stranger

Installed Maxtor 4R120L0 120GB hard drive, add this drive to the list, using your outline on Hard Drive Upgrades made everything so easy. Thanks, again, Randy.

#223801 - 08/05/2004 14:13 Re: Rio Central Features [Re: AMorgan]
newriouser
stranger

I am also thinking of upgrading my hard drive. Is the outline on Hard Drive Upgrades that you used posted anywhere on this BBS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2