Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#223802 - 29/09/2003 23:13 Rio Receiver Boot Problem
jimS1
stranger

I use TRio/ARM. Yesterday, I was using two of my 3 Receivers, with one in Listen mode. At the end of the Playlist, the receiver in Listen mode froze up, with the display showing the last song played, and was unresponsive either via the front panel or via the TRio web interface. I did a 'hard reset' removing the mains power and re-applying it. Now the receiver won't power up -- the internal green LED will light and that's it. There is no activity on the LCD panel and the backlight does not come up. The main board is a RevG one. I have checked the power supply and the on-board voltages at the AVCC, VDD3 and VCORE test points and they match those of my still functional receiver. I checked and found activity on pin2 of the JP5 header when I attempt to power the unit up, but have not yet built a level-shifting serial interface to see exactly what is being spewed. Obviously, the Ethernet interface does not come up, so the receiver can't be pinged.

Any suggestions for getting this thing running again?

Thanks.

Jim

#223803 - 16/10/2003 15:41 Re: Rio Receiver Boot Problem [Re: jimS1]
dcattley
stranger

Loc: Massachusetts, USA.
I have a similarly behaving unit and a very dissapointed daughter. I don't suggest you contact Rio/DigitalNetworks. They took about 2 weeks to finally respond to me and the response was predictable. We *will not* fix it since it is out of warranty. (I have only had this unit for 4 months but is was a referb).

Anyway, this one is to become the hardware experiment (I have another still functioning uinit in my son's room - lucky him).

I suspect that the flash may have gone south on mine. I have seen posts in here that suggest the units can be 'reflashed'. It would useful if someone in the know could explain better what all is involved in that. For instance, does one of those shorting-block headers on the PCB put the Cirrus ARM into 'internal boot' mode where it will load a bootstrap from the serial port? Any details on how to flash the Intel chip (like how is it wired to the CPU). I saw a post here suggesting that the boot loader in flash has a 're-flash' capability. Is the source of the boot loader available anywhere?

Perhaps this thing is too far gone and really dead. That would be ashame as I was expecting to have some fun with it. Any help appreciated!
-dave