Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#223809 - 01/10/2003 16:42 Link disappears after a reboot
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
I think I've got some kind of hardware problem with my Receiver. Sometimes, when starting up, it refuses to bring up Link on the Ethernet. This is getting a little annoying, since I'm trying to write some replacement server software, which requires a lot of reboots.

Has anyone else seen this? Is it my switch (a Netgear FS108) -- I've not had this problem before. Is something in my Receiver on its way out?

#223810 - 02/10/2003 10:47 Re: Link disappears after a reboot [Re: Roger]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
I think I've heard other people report similar. Don't recall if there were any resolutions or not.

#223811 - 07/10/2003 15:16 Re: Link disappears after a reboot [Re: Roger]
farbin
stranger

I recently bought three RIOs and have the same problem with all of them. I tested this with three different wireless routers. All have the same problem. I suspect that it is related to the routers 10/100Mb autosensing ports. I am going to try pluging the RIOs into a 10Mb only hub/switch to see if this solves the problem.

#223812 - 07/10/2003 15:31 Re: Link disappears after a reboot [Re: farbin]
Micman2b
addict

Loc: Central, NC, USA
Same thing happened to me and I never resolved the issue. I would get it to function then after a reboot of the Receiver it the ARM software could not find the unit.

The unit works great with the Rio Central however... I even just bought another Rio Receiver as the one I have works so good now...

Sean in NC
80gb MK2a empeg spare

#223813 - 09/10/2003 13:49 Re: Link disappears after a reboot [Re: Roger]
iceweazel
journeyman

Loc: the states
It is most likely your Netgear. I have found that most of the Netgear products will NOT allow a reboot. And that I must have the receiver powered up before the Netgears are powered on, or they will not allow the receiver to use the hub/switch at all. Netgear support just sends the same old "reboot with the game console/etc already on when you power on the router/hub/switch" email when I inquire about it.

It is due to the 10mb discovery. Older Netgear 10mb hubs do not appear to have this issue. I have not been able to find an old netgear 10mb switch to test though.

Tested with cable/dsl routers, wireless routers(a,b AND g 1st gen), and their 4 port hub and 4 port switch.

ticks me off, but easily repeatably tested.

I have not yet tried plugging one into a bridgable remote wireless unit like a linksys wet11 or the new wga11 or 54 gaming appliances and trying that to get around these issues.

Ed

Edited by iceweazel (09/10/2003 13:50)