Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#224195 - 24/11/2003 20:37 Another Trio Application
lockeness
stranger

This email is primarily for pauln.

First, Trio is awesome.

Second, check out a new product called Roku (www.rokulabs.com). There is a nice discussion group for the product at the avsforum (http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=304831&highlight=roku).

Roku is a multimedia networking device intended to play movies, music and photos over a ntwork. The catches are (1) it is built from the ground up for hi-def and (2) the company is from the same guy that invented the ReplayTV. One interesting aspect of the device is that (forgive me as I am mot a programmer-type), it runs on an open-linux system and the company encourages development. The product is brand new (first few went out last week).

It appears that one of the features that is lacking is a robust MP3/music playing ability. Now I'm no expert, but I would guess that the Trio code may be pretty portable and could be used to connect the Roku to jreceiver to offer the same functionality as under the rio: (1) on screen selection of tunes and (2) web-based control of the uit for music purposes.

Paul, I think you should look into it. Heck, you could charge for the trio functionality I would guess. I'd buy it.

Hope this is useful.

CJL

#224196 - 26/11/2003 16:37 Re: Another Trio Application [Re: lockeness]
pauln
enthusiast

Loc: UK
Yes, it all looks quite tempting. Looks like just the thing to show all my digital photies on.

But for now I'm afraid I'll have to resist. The spirit is willing, but the free time is, alas, all too limited.

Cheers
Paul