Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#224197 - 24/11/2003 23:28 Rio Receiver Wireless Linksys Solution That Works!
The Central Guy
enthusiast

Loc: San Diego, California USA
I have just finished testing a sucessful wireless Linksys solution to go between my wired home network that contains a Rio Central and an older Rio Receiver that I wanted to locate in a part of my house without LAN cabling. It would be difficult to get the cable where it needs to go, so I wanted to try a wireless solution.

The gist of the solution that I read about over on the AVS Forum regarding Replay TV Digital Video Recorders consists of two Linksys WAP54G (G-speed Wireless Access Point) boxes running in bridge mode. One of the WAP54G's is connected to a router on my wired portion of the network, and the second WAP54G is connected directly to the Rio Receiver.

The two WAP54G's are running firmware version 1.08, use the same SSID, same channel (11), and are running WEP encryption at 128 bits with the same Key. The bridge mode requires that you set up each unit with the other's LAN Mac address, then they can see each other and communicate successfully. It worked the first time I tried it after configuration...

The bandwidth is much higher than needed for MP3, so you could probably also use two B-speed Linksys WAPs (I think that model is WAP11). I think I'll be adding more to the remote end (one PC at least), so I wanted the extra G-speed bandwidth...

The connection has been working all evening with no dropouts, etc. Over on the AVS Forum, folks are using these same two boxes to stream Replay TV video/audio signals with no problem as well, with a bandwidth requirement of approximately 850 KB/sec....

I hope this helps folks that have been having trouble getting receivers to work correctly in a wireless environment...

Randy

#224198 - 25/11/2003 10:25 Re: Rio Receiver Wireless Linksys Solution That Works! [Re: The Central Guy]
markb
new poster

Randy,

I have installed several Rio setups wirelessly, but using the little WET-11 ethernet bridge. They are about the same price as an access point, but much smaller (much liked by the girlfriends/wives!), but are only currently available as 802.11b devices.

I think the problems that folks have been having here have been when running tRio rather than the stock ARM solution.

M

#224199 - 14/12/2003 00:07 Re: Rio Receiver Wireless Linksys Solution That Works! [Re: markb]
fronhas
stranger

Are you guys using tRio on the wireless network? I am about to get a WET-11 and would like ot know for sure.

cheers,
Fron Has

#224200 - 14/12/2003 03:42 Re: Rio Receiver Wireless Linksys Solution That Works! [Re: fronhas]
markb
new poster

Short answer is I don't know. I installed both of these WET-11 set ups for friends using the stock ARM software. After reading some of the problems encountered by others I was reluctant to try tRio in someone else's house.
All that said, having seen my set-up (wired ethernet) they want to try tRio. So in the next week or so I will give it a whirr. Incidentally, I got the best range on the WET11s using channel 1. The default is channel 11 which was hopeless in one of the installs. Cheapest place I found for WET11s was Ebuyer: £58.74 inc vat

Hope that helps. Cheape