Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#224548 - 04/02/2004 07:40 Newbie (don't shoot) needs help on wireless
mduran
stranger

Hya,

I just got a second hand Rio Central; just have it since yesterday and I'm delighted. I would be much obliged if someone could explain me in very simple terms (sorry I am not an expert on this) or point me to a tutorial on how I can connect wirelessly to my telephone line, which happens to be at the other side of the room) so that I get access to the CDDB and later on my Central can serve a Rio Receiver. I would like to know:

- what hardware (ethernet adapters, gateways or whatever) is compatible with the Central and can be purchased now (anno 2004)
- how they should be connected to the Central.
- Any other thing I should mind.

PLease have mercy; I acknowledge my ignorance... ;-)

#224549 - 04/02/2004 11:26 Re: Newbie (don't shoot) needs help on wireless [Re: mduran]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
My goodness, the telephone line seems like it would be such a waste for wireless. Ethernet, now that's a noble cause!

To use ethernet with the Rio Central, you need one of the supported USB-to-ethernet adapters. A couple of supported models are listed in the "About" menu on the Central, or you can search for "USB Ethernet Adapter" on this BBS and hopefully find one or two others that were successful. After that, it's a question of setting up wireless bridges and such, and that's downright tricky to get working right.

Personally, I'd go to whatever trouble it takes run real wires anyway. So much simpler and easier in terms of configuration, and much more reliable.

Anyway, before you worry about *any* of that, please make sure to get the latest software for the Central. It fixes a bug with reboots during multiple-CD-record mode. It's at the rioaudio.com site. Make sure to get the smaller of the two downloads (the one without the updated CDDB) because others have reported file corruption with the larger one.

(By the way, you'll need to burn that as an ISO image onto a CD-R in order for it to work with the Central.)

#224550 - 16/03/2004 23:41 Re: Newbie (don't shoot) needs help on wireless [Re: tfabris]
lockuplever
enthusiast

Loc: Tucson, AZ
By the way, you'll need to burn that as an ISO image onto a CD-R in order for it to work with the Central.

Any advice on how to do this. I've made a few attempts, and the junk cd-r pile is starting to grow.

#224551 - 17/03/2004 10:53 Re: Newbie (don't shoot) needs help on wireless [Re: lockuplever]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

First of all, there are two files available, make sure to use the smaller of the two, the one without the updated CDDB. The larger is corrupted. Second, remember that you're burning the ISO *image itself* instead of burining your own CD with a large ISO file in the root directory. Those are two different procedures in the burner software, you need to know the difference.

#224552 - 17/03/2004 14:35 Re: Newbie (don't shoot) needs help on wireless [Re: tfabris]
lockuplever
enthusiast

I hate to turn this into a "step by step manual for the complete idiot" but for some reason, too much sugar or something, this one has lost me.

I have downloaded the "Rio Central Updated Firmware Version 1.10 Beta Image - No CDDB Database Included" to my desktop. Opened it and then used the "extract all" from the file menu, which created "jupiter-consumer-v1.10-rc1-nodb.iso". Then I burned a CD with Easy CD Creator using ISO9660 option in the cd project propeties.

When I load the CD in the RioCentral, it it gives me 2 options, back and record.

What did I do wrong?
Thanks,
Steve

#224553 - 17/03/2004 19:23 Re: Newbie (don't shoot) needs help on wireless [Re: lockuplever]
msaeger
carpal tunnel

Loc: Minnetonka, MN
I couldn't get it to work either so your not alone

Matt

#224554 - 18/03/2004 10:28 Re: Newbie (don't shoot) needs help on wireless [Re: msaeger]
Micman2b
addict

Loc: Central, NC, USA
Me neither... No upgrades for me...

Sean in NC
80gb MK2a empeg spare

#224555 - 18/03/2004 11:23 Re: Newbie (don't shoot) needs help on wireless [Re: lockuplever]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Then I burned a CD with Easy CD Creator using ISO9660 option in the cd project propeties.

Did you create a new CD of type "ISO9660", then drag that file onto the CD, then burn it? If so, that's the problem.

You need to burn a CD from the ISO image file, not burn an ISO cd with the image file on it. There's a huge difference.

Unfortunately, I don't know for sure what the menu option is in EZ CD Creator for you, because I've got a very old version of the program. On my version, the option is "File/Create CD from disc image". I don't know if it would be the same on your version.

#224556 - 18/03/2004 14:03 Re: Newbie (don't shoot) needs help on wireless [Re: tfabris]
lockuplever
enthusiast

You need to burn a CD from the ISO image file, not burn an ISO cd with the image file on it. There's a huge difference.

Yes there is, as I have just found out.
This time I selected "create CD from CD image" from the file menu, then selected the image from the desktop and recorded.

Then I dropped the CD in the Central, and there it was....."Do you want to upgrade?" YEA BABY!!

I am just about finished with the wiring in my house, and I have 6 "Dell" Receivers. I was starting to panic about this upgrade.

If I ever attend an empeg meeting, all of your drinks will be covered. (for this and the numerous other items you've helped me on)

Steve

#224557 - 19/03/2004 10:56 Re: Newbie (don't shoot) needs help on wireless [Re: lockuplever]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Ah, cool. Glad it's sorted.

Thanks for the drink offer, I'll take you up on that.