Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#224692 - 06/03/2004 21:32 trio and jrec: who does what?
codaca
stranger

I suspect there is just something I am not getting wrt tRio and JRec. Is there a picture somewhere of the interactions between the Rio (riot), tRio and JRec?

Reading the install instructions it seems that tRio is/has a server. But so is/does JRec. I have to configure a "trio" JRec user so it seems there is some interaction. What are the two servers doing? What operations do I do in tRio and what in JRec?

The install instructions hint that tRio is best run on Windows. But JRec is running on Linux. Of course they dont have to be colocated but wouldn't it be natural to have the servers together? The talk about X11 etc when running on Linux implies that the tRio server and the GUI are integrated. Is that an accurate view?

What I really want is a music server running on a box in the closet (no GUI) that serves up FLAC files to 3 Rio devices which can play FLAC files. It would be cool if I could control the devices from random PCs around the house.

On the surface tRio looks like exactly what I am after but it seems I may be barking up the wrong tree?

Help/advice most appreciated...

#224693 - 28/03/2004 08:50 Re: trio and jrec: who does what? [Re: codaca]
wtarnette
stranger

Jrec is the music database/server. It maintains a searchable database of all the music it scans. It also streams the music to clients such as WinAmp and tRio.

tRio is the server for the RIO. The RIO device actually has no operating system on it. When it starts up it broadcasts to the network looking for a server that can provide its operating system. When it finds one, it boots the operating system from it. The tRio server provides an alternate client implementation to the one that ships with the RIO.

You configure tRio to tell it where the music server (Jrec)is. When it connects to the music server, the music server can stream the music to the tRio server which in turn streams it to the RIO.

HTH,
Bill

#224694 - 09/04/2004 23:38 Re: trio and jrec: who does what? [Re: codaca]
laynel
stranger

I may be beating a dead horse here, but here is my attempt at an explanation.

As stated in the other post, Jreceiver (and the original ARM software) acts as the music database and server, while Trio (and the original receiver.arf software) is the client.

The confusing/complicated part is that Trio has split the "client" into two pieces, part that runs on the Rio Receiver (riot), and part that runs on the PC as a Java App (tRio) trio/riot could be considered their own server/client
pair, but together, they're the client to the ARM/Jreceiver server.

So, Trio/riot is responsible for requesting and displaying the contents of the music database, letting the user request tunes from the server, and playing the music that is sent from the server, while Jreceiver keeps track of (and reports) what music is in the database, and sending the requested tunes to the receiver.