Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#225451 - 30/06/2004 08:56 Help - Major jEmplode problem!
zexpe
journeyman

Loc: Edinburgh, UK
As a Linux user I only ever use jEmplode to alter my empeg's playlists, which has been working fine for months. However, now whenever I connect to my empeg with jEmplode it hangs when "updating interface", and so I can't access the player at all! I've tried every version of jEmplode that I've got from the latest v55 back down to v44, and they all have the same problem - I'm stuck as to what to do. The hang is accompanied by the java process taking up 100% cpu time before I kill jEmplode - I assume it's stuck in an infinite loop or else a very, very, very long loop!

On the previous synchronisation that worked before this updating interface hanging problem arose, I had simply moved a few nested playlists around and created a few new playlists (no music uploads), and I hadn't altered my one and only soup on the player.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Ross

#225452 - 30/06/2004 17:27 Re: Help - Major jEmplode problem! [Re: zexpe]
mschrag
pooh-bah

Loc: Richmond, VA
A couple people have reported this problem but I've never been able to reproduce it. Can you run java -jar jemplode.jar from the console (on v55) and when it's in this state, switch to the console and hit ctrl-break and send me all the output that dumps out?

#225453 - 02/07/2004 17:51 Re: Help - Major jEmplode problem! [Re: mschrag]
zexpe
journeyman

OK, running jemplode with java - jar jemplode.jar at the console doesn't produce any console output up to the point of the "updating interface" hang. Pressing ctrl-break at the console prompt has no effect, ctrl-c of course kills the program as expected - this may just be because I've never used the break key on my laptop and just don't know how to use it properly! In fact I'm not entirely sure whether Linux even recognises my laptop's break key!

Is there an alternative key I could use? If not, I'll have a try with my desktop PC next week which should have a working break key!

BTW, I had a go synchronising with emplode on a friend's windows PC and that worked fine. The empeg and playlists on it are all working fine.

Also jEmplode in the transfer tab window is saying there's modification to two of my paylists pending whilst it's hanged. I suspect this may be related. They can't be cancelled.

Cheers for the help so far,
Ross

#225454 - 02/07/2004 17:58 Re: Help - Major jEmplode problem! [Re: zexpe]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Quote:
Also jEmplode in the transfer tab window is saying there's modification to two of my paylists pending whilst it's hanged. I suspect this may be related. They can't be cancelled.

On a working system (such as you're friend's Windows PC), dig through those playlists and look for tracks or tags that are somehow unusual. For example, tags which contain non-english characters, tags which contain huge amounts of data in the fields (such as lyrics in the comment field or some such), or songs which were recently downloaded from the internet as opposed to ripped yourself.

#225455 - 02/07/2004 18:06 Re: Help - Major jEmplode problem! [Re: zexpe]
mschrag
pooh-bah

I must have email responses turned off right now, so I just noticed you responded ... Try Ctrl Backslash on Linux. I always mix up which OS uses which key. Assuming you're on a 1.4+ VM, it should print out a ton of data.

ms

#225456 - 03/07/2004 10:30 Re: Help - Major jEmplode problem! [Re: mschrag]
zexpe
journeyman

The Ctrl-\ worked. I've attached the dump to the post as it's not too large.

Attachments
224902-jemplode.txt (229 downloads)

#225457 - 03/07/2004 10:35 Re: Help - Major jEmplode problem! [Re: tfabris]
zexpe
journeyman

I'd be surprised if it was a tag problem, as I'm pretty sure that all I've done is to move around a couple of playlists and manually create a couple of new ones; I certainly haven't uploaded any new music.

I might have a go deleting the playlist that jEmplode is trying to update in emplode and see if that helps. For the record, jEmplode is trying to update that manually created playlist and the root Playlist playlist.

Ross

#225458 - 03/07/2004 10:44 Re: Help - Major jEmplode problem! [Re: mschrag]
tman
carpal tunnel

Email responses don't seem to work or exist in this version of the BBS. Bit annoying

#225459 - 03/07/2004 15:13 Re: Help - Major jEmplode problem! [Re: zexpe]
mschrag
pooh-bah

http://www.jempeg.org/jemplode-debug.jar

Run this and send me the output ... I suspect it's in an infinite loop, so it's going to produce infinite output, so be prepared to Ctrl-C this thing.