Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#22736 - 10/12/2000 08:06 Re: New displayserver 1.1 [Re: kazama]
fvgestel
old hand

Loc: Netherlands
I haven't really downloaded the entire tar myself. ( I don't have enough disk space ).
the 4 Gb filesize is probably choking tar...
I will break it up into smaller pieces. 10 or 20 seperate tar files or so...

Frank van Gestel

#22737 - 10/12/2000 17:22 Re: New displayserver 1.1 [Re: fvgestel]
kazama
enthusiast

Loc: Boston, MA
I guess I spoke too soon. After rebooting I found I had the standard 'no mounting of drive 1' problem I had before. So I have gotten really good at fixing this problem even though it keeps corrupting my database oh well. :-)

Here is the upside. I flashed the system and installed the installhdb.sh which went in fine. I selected the option to NOT have displayserver start up automatically which doesn't mess with the init scripts. Rebooted and ran displayserver and it seems to be kicking over now with full link-through downloading. I am going to try and re-do the tar download because I think the reason it stopped at 3.99 before is because I have about 8 Gig on the system split between the two disks so far and 4 Gig would be what is on /drive0. I will let you know the progress of this in a couple of hours.

Some things I noticed during this whole process and some questions I had:

installhdc.sh: Can you check and make sure that once you set /drive1 to hdc that the boot script mounts it at hdc? A quick look at the init script after install suggested that it was trying to be mounted as hdb which would be inconsistant with the script function.

Both installs: Check the init file you lay down for autostart because it doesn't seem to be mounting /drive1 automatically which causes the problems. If I run into probs again, I will find the error code to send to you.

Question: Is there a better way for us to post bugs like this to you or do you not mind that we are posting them to the BBS?

Thanks for all your work!!!!

Greg

#22738 - 10/12/2000 19:28 Re: New displayserver 1.1 [Re: kazama]
kazama
enthusiast

Follow-up: The tar file stopped at 3.99 Gig again so I would say that 4 Gig is the limit for the transfer.

Greg

#22739 - 11/12/2000 00:01 Re: New displayserver 1.1 [Re: kazama]
fvgestel
old hand

You can allways email me : [email protected]

Frank van Gestel

#22740 - 14/12/2000 13:50 Re: New displayserver 1.1 [Re: fvgestel]
JOEBLO
new poster

Loc: Québec, Canada
hi fvgestel,
first i would like to say that what you did is great !!
I looked at your code and i am not of your level :)

But unfortunely not every options work on my mk 2:

-- I get the message " class empegApplet not found " in ie 5 and an ERROR in Netscape (in the status bar at the bottom).

-- when i encue the M3U, the password and user are not in the shortcut :
http:/123.123.123.123/name/song.mp3
and not
http://ttt:[email protected]/name/song.mp3

I have to edit manualy the *.mu3 generated to add ttt:ttt and then it work.

So what have i done ?

installed developper image with empegTool then the install.sh (using hyperterminal) then the zImage (529 888 bytes created 5 november 2000) with the logo editor.

i tried in windows NT4
iexplorer 5.00.3105 ...
netscape 4.76
emplode 1.01
displayserver 1.1

Thank again for the super addon
Jean-Christophe

#22741 - 14/12/2000 14:25 Re: New displayserver 1.1 [Re: JOEBLO]
phaigh
addict

Loc: Reading, UK
Jean-Christophe

To remove the authentication you can run displayserver with the 'noauth' command line parameter. - Just edit the /bin/init to do this.

This works for me and stops Winamp chucking a fit.

HTH.

Paul.

Paul Haigh, Reg. 4120
(mk1) 6GB, Blue, 00254
(mk2) 12GB, Red, 00357

#22742 - 14/12/2000 15:57 Re: New displayserver 1.1 [Re: JOEBLO]
fvgestel
old hand

I looked at your code and i am not of your level :)
It's funny you said that...
When I got my empeg back in august 2000, I was planning on doing funny stuff on the empeg.
My first project was writing an LDAP-server on the empeg. The openldap-sources crosscompiled well and it had an interface for external modules as backend.
I was thinking of using perl-scripts as backend for openldap on the empeg, but what a disappointment : an average perl-script uses more memory on the empeg than it can handle, so I went off with plan B : compile a small perl-executable with just the bare essentials. Plan B went into the wastebasket; crosscompiling perl wasn't possible.
Plan C : install gpc (GNU Pascal Compiler) and dig up my TP7/Delphi experience. This wasn't an option either, executables still grew quite large, and string handling in GPC was tough... At this point I threw away the crosscompiler on my linux PC and went on compiling on the empeg itself; small programs compile rather swift on the empeg.
There was one other option : use the native backend for openldap, which required me to code in C.
I did some C-programming before, of course I had the basic C-programming courses at school, but I never did get the hang of it. I studied mathematics and the main programming-language used by mathemagicians is pascal.
After spending hours looking and modifying the examples supplied by openLDAP, browsing through manual pages and searching for C-primers on the internet, I finally had a working LDAP-server.
The further I got into C the more I liked it... Strange, I had the same with perl; I did quite some shell-scripting before and couldn't make the leap to perl because of it's awkward syntax, but once I got the hang of it, I didn't want to code in anything else.

The code in displayserver may seem out of your reach because it's one big mess at the moment. I started with a simple TCP-server to handle HTTP-requests and before I knew, I had added a thousand lines of code around this skeleton. I think I'm going to implement some minor changes to the existing code and then start writing some new stuff from scratch.
I've got the current version also running as a multi-threaded application, but this causes other problems : memory usage increases and when one thread crashes, the complete application crashes.
Well, I think I'm dwelling off in this thread and most people are probably bored to death by developer-talk, which brings me to another point : Why am I posting in the general forum? I should be posting in Projects or Programming.
One thing for other starting developers : look at the links section of Aouali's homepage for usable resources... Neat scrapbook applet BTW...

-- I get the message " class empegApplet not found " in ie 5 and an ERROR in Netscape (in the status bar at the bottom).
Strange, I've tested in IE4, IE5, NS4.5, NS4.7 on win9[58]/win2k/NT4 and linux.
the empegApplet.class file should be automatically downloaded from the same URL the HTML-file is from.
A cause of this could be the fact you've configured IE to use a proxy-server or something similar.
I also know of some win98 installations with light-versions of the java-VM, which doesn't allow you to make any TCP-connections from java.
this brings me to some other strange things in IE :
I cannot log into the BBS anymore from win98/IE5
when I click login, it waits endlessly to fail in a timeout. This problem started this morning and continued through the day. Everything is fine from linux/netscape...
I guess I've got to use the microsoft way of solving problems : REBOOT
Well I did and started win2k...

-- when i encue the M3U, the password and user are not in the shortcut :
http:/123.123.123.123/name/song.mp3
and not
http://ttt:[email protected]/name/song.mp3

That's a good point; I tested with media player 7, realplayer and earjam, which all come up with a login dialog to supply username and password when the m3u file is processed. I had noticed winamp's behavior though, so I added an option to disable authentication completely. start displayserver like :

# ./displayserver noauth

to disable authentication
I'm going to implement your solution also, as it seems it would solve all problems.

Wow, I spent more than an hour writing this stuff, I guess I need a vacation...

Frank van Gestel

#22743 - 15/12/2000 15:43 Re: New displayserver 1.1 [Re: fvgestel]
JOEBLO
new poster

Loc: Québec, Canada
Tks for ansewring so quick M Gestel and Paul.
In order to try the "./displayserver noauth" i used the hyperterminal :
reboot empeg and then:

q
ps -A
kill # corresponding to displayserver
cd /usr/local/displayserver
./displayserver unauth
exit

exit hyperterminal

Now i can encue the m3u by a singleclic in the browser (the type m3u is define for Winamp on my NT4), and, i don't know why, the Java applet work !!!

It Rock's :-) (But how do you change the volume ?)

The only thing is: i wasn't able to edit the init file :-(
Is there an editor in the Empeg ? no vi, ted or anything i know for sure ....
That would be the best : edit directly on the empeg ...

So i "mv init init.old"
then i uploaded a new init with the hyperterminal using zmodem protocol and when i reboot the player didn't even start ...

I suspect i have to : ln -s /bin/init /sbin/init ...
But i don't know what i'm doing at this point :-)

So i think the best solution for me is to find or install an editor on the empeg.

Bye

Jean-Christophe

#22744 - 15/12/2000 20:59 Re: New displayserver 1.1 [Re: fvgestel]
dionysus
veteran

Loc: San Francisco, CA
In reply to:

I will break it up into smaller pieces. 10 or 20 seperate tar files or so...

Hey frank - I think a really cool option would be to enable tar to work from the playlist you're in.. For instance, if you're in the root playlist, it'd tar everything - whereas if you're under a playlist, it'd tar just those songs...

-mark

...proud to have owned an Empeg since 00287

#22745 - 16/12/2000 04:21 Re: New displayserver 1.1 [Re: JOEBLO]
phaigh
addict

Loc: Reading, UK
I didn't find an editor on the empeg by default, although this should be available via the toolchains.

I believe that /bin and /sbin are symlinked anyway, so you don't need to link them together by hand.

When I changed the file I used "echo "text to go in file" >> /sbin/init

It's a pain, but it does work!

Paul.

Paul Haigh, Reg. 4120
(mk1) 6GB, Blue, 00254
(mk2) 12GB, Red, 00357

#22746 - 17/12/2000 17:18 Re: New displayserver 1.1 [Re: fvgestel]
steveb
journeyman

Loc: Sugar Land, Texas, USA
I.m having a little trouble getting the display server installed.

1. I flashed the new kernel, no problems.
2. I unzipped and copied the install.sh file to the empeg using the empload trick, copied the file and renamed it to /empeg/var/temp/install.sh
3. When i run it (. ./install.sh) if goes thru and makes everything RW and asks where I would like to install. I just answer with the default (/usr/local/displayserver). Then I get:

where do you want to install? : [/usr/local/displayserver]
dd: -bash: No such file or directory
dd: -bash: No such file or directory
Do you want displayserver to startup automatically? : [Y/N] n
Mounting all filesystems readonly...
Installation completed...
now open your browser and connect to the empeg: userid: ttt password: ttt
To use the buttons in the java-applet, you must also install a custom
kernel or a kernel-patch; both can be found at
http://empeg.dyndns.org/empeg/
Have fun...
Shell exit
Starting player
empeg-car 1.01-rc2.

I poked around a little and all I can figure is that $0 is retruning '-bash' instead of 'install.sh'.

I know I'm probably just doing something stupid, any idea what it might be?

Steve Bates

#22747 - 17/12/2000 22:52 Re: New displayserver 1.1 [Re: steveb]
fvgestel
old hand

It's probably because you start it with :

# . ./install.sh

try :

# chmod +x install.sh
# ./install.sh

Frank van Gestel

#22748 - 20/04/2001 09:57 Re: New displayserver 1.1 [Re: fvgestel]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Loc: Detroit, MI USA
Ok! I got the streaming to work by killing the displayserver (I have it set to autoload) and restarting it with the noauth command. How do I turn off the autoload? (Or get it to autoload with unauth...)

32GB (JUST UPGRADED!) Mk. II BLUE
Detroit, MI USA
www.PfeifferBeer.com

#22749 - 20/04/2001 10:15 Re: New displayserver 1.1 [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
How do I turn off the autoload? (Or get it to autoload with unauth...)

Frank's "install.sh" has replaced your empeg's "init". The init is kind of like the linux equivalent of AUTOEXEC.BAT. It is located in /bin, and you can edit the file to add the "-noauth" parameter yourself.

If you are using a Windows program to edit the file, remember that it is a Linux file and needs to be formatted differently than most Windows programs provide. Here is some information from my picker-for-dummies readme that explains:
IMPORTANT NOTE: If you are editing these files on a Windows system, you must use an editor that's capable of going into "binary" mode so that you can fix a compatibility problem with carriage returns and line feed characters. Linux shell scripts must have each line terminated only by a linefeed (hexadecimal 0A), but Windows programs always put a carriage-return/linefeed pair at the end of each line (hexadecimal 0D 0A). I recommend UltraEdit (www.ultraedit.com) to do the fixing. If you edit the "pick_list" file or the "testinit.sh" file, you must perform a global binary replace of 0D OA -> 0A as the very last step before saving the file.

Something else to remember: This "init", as well as displayserver itself, will be erased every time you upgrade your empeg. Any changes you do will have to be re-done when you re-install displayserver after an upgrade.

#22750 - 20/04/2001 15:13 Re: New displayserver 1.1 [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
fvgestel
old hand

on the empeg, first mount the disk read-write with the command:
# rw
then issue the following commands to switch off authentication in autostart:
# cd /etc
# cp init init.auth
# cat init.auth | sed 's#./displayserver#./displayserver noauth#' > init
# cp init init.noauth

Now you can change it quite easily:

auth on:
# cp init.auth init

auth off
# cp init.noauth init

Frank van Gestel

#22751 - 10/07/2001 19:32 Re: New displayserver 1.1 [Re: fvgestel]
kazama
enthusiast

Just when you thought the topic was dead . . .

I know there is a -noauth flag but is there also a -port xx flag in case I want to run displayserver on a non standard port? Due to my home network, I would like to run displayserver on port 8080 and not 80. Is there a way or is that a 2.0 feature?

Greg

#22752 - 11/07/2001 05:58 Re: New displayserver 1.1 [Re: kazama]
fvgestel
old hand

There is a way and that's recompiling. There's a #define in the first lines of code which can be changed.
Displayserver 2.0 uses a config file which stores all settings. I haven't spent much time on it since the last alpha though.

Frank van Gestel

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3