Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#228719 - 28/07/2004 16:15 Electronic voting. Sigh.
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US

#228720 - 28/07/2004 16:42 Re: Electronic voting. Sigh. [Re: wfaulk]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Florida... AGAIN?!?!

What is it with Florida??!?!

#228721 - 28/07/2004 16:47 Re: Electronic voting. Sigh. [Re: tfabris]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

Loc: Atlanta, GA
Apparently the don't know how to make backups. Or more correctly, NOW they know how to make backups. Why do people always wait until they need them to make them?

#228722 - 28/07/2004 17:45 Re: Electronic voting. Sigh. [Re: wfaulk]
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA, U.S.A.
Quote:
A computer crash erased detailed records....

I haven't read _Seven Days in May_ or seen the movie in quite some time, but why do I see the visage of William Rehnquist wearing a Burt Lancaster mask looming over November? Stories like this.....grrrrr. Crap, maybe I'll just go to Mexico a little early.

Or maybe there's a New Deal for elections: establish a consistent, technology-neutral standard for auditably. If a state can't pass that test in the wake of an ambiguous or contested result, then all of their members of the Electoral College get stood up against a wall and shot (oh, and coincidentally, that state's votes don't count, either).

'Tis the exceptional fellow who lies awake at night thinking of his successes.

#228723 - 28/07/2004 22:00 Re: Electronic voting. Sigh. [Re: tfabris]
Laura
pooh-bah

Loc: Greenhills, Ohio
It's all of those old retirees down there

MKI #017/90

whatever

#228724 - 29/07/2004 00:19 Re: Electronic voting. Sigh. [Re: Laura]
gbeer
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manteca, California
What bothers me most about even those machines that generate a paper record, is that they don't generate a paper ballot. The most I've ever heard of is that they generate some kind of reciept that the voter takes with them.

I want a system that generates an unabmigously marked ballot I can put in a ballot box. Which ballots and boxes can be watched by Mk 1 eyeballs.

I don't trust electronic record keeping where it comes to voting. You have to admit that while there was much debate about chads, mismarked ballots and who should or should not have voted. Nobody argued that any of the ballots themselves, had been replaced with fakes.

#228725 - 29/07/2004 04:53 Re: Electronic voting. Sigh. [Re: gbeer]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
For once, there was what seemed at first sight to be a sensible suggestion on Slashdot. Here's my slightly more expanded version. Shoot holes in it for me.

The whole point of the punched ballots or the electronic voting system is to make the counting more efficient, right? Manual counting is too slow.

Giving the user an electronic receipt opens the door to vote coercion.

The punched card systems didn't work because the butterfly ballots were confusing to those senile old biddies who still, for some reason, are considered able to vote, even though they're all probably too old to go to the bathroom unaided.

They also suffered from "hanging chads".

The electronic system doesn't work. There's no record kept.

The suggestion on Slashdot was this (expanded by me):

You have a touchscreen (or whatever) PC which the voter makes their choice on. With some UI design skills, and sufficiently large fonts -- even pictures of the candidates -- these should be easy to use and less confusing.

This then prints out a combined machine-/human-readable ticket, so that the user can confirm that their vote is correct. If it's wrong, they do whatever they would have done if they screw up a normal paper ballot (I don't know what happens here). If it's right, they put it in an electronic ballot box.

This is exactly like a normal ballot box: paper goes in, paper doesn't come out, except that it's got an electronic reader in it which reads the machine readable part of the card.

If the count screws up, you just put the box of cards back through the machine. So it's like the punched card thing, only it won't suffer from hanging chads ('cos it's not punched), it won't suffer from the confusion of the butterfly ballot ('cos you've got UI experts in).

Now, it's potentially still open to abuse by the e-voting machine manufacturer, because it could print different human-/machine-readable values on the one card, thus electronically stuffing the vote. It's still just as good as any other e-voting machine in this regard, though. You might be able to come up with a system that uses dummy ballot papers (that don't actually get counted in the final totals), and you can check that they got registered correctly. The guys in the booth just pop these in the machine at intervals through the day, and they can be checked against their known values.

Thoughts?

#228726 - 29/07/2004 09:31 Re: Electronic voting. Sigh. [Re: Roger]
mtempsch
pooh-bah

Loc: Gothenburg, Sweden
Read that /. posting too... Makes sense to me; if anyone/anything throws doubt on the machine count, one could use humans to read the humanreadable part and base the count on that. Slower, but hopefully checked for correctness by the voter (if not, tough luck...)

#228727 - 29/07/2004 10:13 Re: Electronic voting. Sigh. [Re: Roger]
frog51
pooh-bah

Loc: Edinburgh, Scotland
Hanging Chads?

I think there is some only mildly-invasive surgery to correct the problem
MkII, 80Gb SSD in dock

#228728 - 29/07/2004 12:27 Re: Electronic voting. Sigh. [Re: frog51]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
Quote:
Hanging Chads?

That is: the punched cards suffered from hanging chads. The old biddies probably mostly didn't

#228729 - 29/07/2004 23:24 Re: Electronic voting. Sigh. [Re: Roger]
gbeer
carpal tunnel

I find no problem with the system Roger described. I'd have a rule that in the event of a discrepancy between man/machine readable values that the man readable values rule. Presumably they were vetted by the voter.

BTW, The last election here, San Joaquine County, Ca., we had this huge mark sense ballot. (Fill in the small box, don't go outside the big one.) These were fed directly into a reader/container that rejected ballots having more marks than allowed. Seemed to work just fine.

Quote:
You have a touchscreen (or whatever) PC which the voter makes their choice on. With some UI design skills, and sufficiently large fonts -- even pictures of the candidates -- these should be easy to use and less confusing.

This then prints out a combined machine-/human-readable ticket, so that the user can confirm that their vote is correct. If it's wrong, they do whatever they would have done if they screw up a normal paper ballot (I don't know what happens here). If it's right, they put it in an electronic ballot box.

This is exactly like a normal ballot box: paper goes in, paper doesn't come out, except that it's got an electronic reader in it which reads the machine readable part of the card.

#228730 - 30/07/2004 01:52 Re: Electronic voting. Sigh. [Re: gbeer]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
For years in NC, we've had this mark sense system where each option is next to the beginning and end of an arrow with a missing middle. To vote for one, you draw a line to "finish" the arrow. Pretty simple.

#228731 - 30/07/2004 02:37 Re: Electronic voting. Sigh. [Re: gbeer]
mtempsch
pooh-bah

Loc: Gothenburg, Sweden
Are the ballots checked for validity before being handed in? Problem with mark sense is [when the race is close enough to be argued...] people that cross-out drawn lines and draw new ones etc. While technically a faulty ballot that is to be rejected, it opens up for the "what was the intent of the voter" the same way the pregnant chads and multiple punched cards stuff we saw in Florida...

#228732 - 30/07/2004 04:06 Re: Electronic voting. Sigh. [Re: mtempsch]
canuckInOR
carpal tunnel

Loc: Portland, OR
Quote:
While technically a faulty ballot that is to be rejected, it opens up for the "what was the intent of the voter" the same way the pregnant chads and multiple punched cards stuff we saw in Florida...

Not really. I think there's a very clear distinction between pregnant chads, multiply punched cards, and hanging chads. The first two are operator error, but the last is crappy voting machinery. If there are too many marks on a mark-sensed ballot, that would be like a multiply punched card, and is clearly a spoiled ballot. The pregnant chad issue would go away -- there's either a mark in the box, or not. Hanging chads would be like discarding a marked ballot because the voter filled in the circle, instead of putting an X (even though the machine still detects the correct vote). Dismissing ballots solely because of a technicality like that is just stupid.

Having voted in both Canada, and the US, I can safely say that the American punch card system is downright asinine, and eVoting isn't going to fix it.

The only way I can think to amend the proposal is to make the machine readable and the human readable parts of the printed ballot the same thing. We already have mark-sensing technology, so print out a mark-sense style ballot that the user can verify. Stuff it back in the machine, and it reads the mark. There's no need to make this really hard and print out a UPC symbol for the machine readable part, is there?

Oh, well. I just noticed a story on Google News the other day that a couple more states (Ohio and New Jersey) have Senators calling for mandatory paper trails in voting machines for November.

#228733 - 31/07/2004 01:05 Re: Electronic voting. Sigh. [Re: canuckInOR]
gbeer
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Oh, well. I just noticed a story on Google News the other day that a couple more states (Ohio and New Jersey) have Senators calling for mandatory paper trails in voting machines for November.

Gotta be a voter reviewed ballot stuffed in the box. Regester tapes have problems of their own. That's the prime problem with punch cards. Pull it out of the machine, look at it, it's indeciferable without a template.