Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#230192 - 09/08/2004 03:28 emplode doesn't recognize player
mcsimuss
new poster

So I downloaded the v.2 of the consumer soft off the site, upgraded the drivers and now when I run the program it does find the player connected to the PC but it says "unknown player on USB" and doesn't go anywhere from there.
What do I do now?

#230193 - 09/08/2004 08:38 Re: emplode doesn't recognize player [Re: mcsimuss]
pgrzelak
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Okay. A few things we need to check here...

You need to make sure you are running matching code on the player and the PC. If you are running v2, you need to have emplode v2 as well.

I would not recommend consumer. If possible, upgrade your player with the v2 developer version. The main difference is that the developer version gives you access to a shell (command line interface) on the player that is essential for troubleshooting.

What OS are you running, and did you load the proper USB drivers?

#230194 - 09/08/2004 09:11 Re: emplode doesn't recognize player [Re: pgrzelak]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
Quote:
and did you load the proper USB drivers?

Assuming that you did, you should also check that the empeg was correctly recognised by your OS. For example, on Windows XP, go to Control Panel / System (if you're not in Classic View, it's under Performance and Maintenance).

On the Hardware tab, click on Device Manager. Scroll down to the bottom and open the Universal Serial Bus controllers item. There should be an entry labelled "SONICblue Rio Car". If not, you don't have the USB driver installed correctly.

You'll need to have the empeg plugged in and turned on for this first.

#230195 - 09/08/2004 12:11 Re: emplode doesn't recognize player [Re: Roger]
mcsimuss
new poster

Quote:

Assuming that you did, you should also check that the empeg was correctly recognised by your OS. For example, on Windows XP, go to Control Panel / System (if you're not in Classic View, it's under Performance and Maintenance).

On the Hardware tab, click on Device Manager. Scroll down to the bottom and open the Universal Serial Bus controllers item. There should be an entry labelled "SONICblue Rio Car". If not, you don't have the USB driver installed correctly.

You'll need to have the empeg plugged in and turned on for this first.

It does have SONICblue rio car in the USB controller. So the drivers I got MUST be fresh. Still the freakin' software won't recognize the player, and that's some frustrating crap to take...Are there any bypasses? Is there any way I could just crack open the damn box, extract the harddrive, connect a wire to it and get all of the files out of it???

Edited by mcsimuss (09/08/2004 12:14)

#230196 - 09/08/2004 13:04 Re: emplode doesn't recognize player [Re: mcsimuss]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Loc: Detroit, MI USA
Give us some more info here. What version of windows are you using? Are you using 2.00 of both emplode and the player software found here: http://www.empeg.com/cgi-bin/display.cgi?section=downloads&id=3

Regarding USB, this is from the release notes (at the link above):
Quote:
We recommend completely de-installing the previous emplode before
installing the new one.

The USB driver has been moved out of the emplode setup program since just
placing it in the drivers directory wasn't advisable on modern operating
systems. In order to improve reliability on Windows XP there is now a new
USB driver specifically for Windows XP called RIOXDRV.SYS. Users of
earlier operating systems (Windows 98, Windows 98SE, Windows ME and
Windows 2000) should continue to use the RIOHD.SYS driver. Anyone who is
still using the EMPEGCAR.SYS driver should consider switching to the
RIOHD.SYS driver.

Driver installation varies among various versions of Windows so these
instructions are deliberately a little vague...

In order to install the driver on a machine which already has the old
driver you will need to run Device Manager (accessible by right clicking
on My Computer and selecting Properties). You should select the properties
for the "Rio Car" or "empeg-car" device and choose to Update Driver.
Choose to install the driver from a specific location and point it at
wherever you've unzipped the emplode installer.

To install the driver on a machine that has not seen the device before you
should choose to specify the location and point it at wherever you've
unzipped the emplode installer.

Once the driver is installed you should be able to check the driver details.
On Windows XP it should show that you are using RIOXDRV.SYS and on older
operating systems it should show that you are using RIOHD.SYS.

Although the RIOXDRV.SYS driver has been through WHQL testing it has not yet
been signed by Microsoft. On Windows XP you will be presented with a scary
dialog box that warns you that the driver is unsigned; you should choose to
continue installation.

Now proceed with installation of the firmware.

Click on "Driver Details" or Properties to get the actual name of the driver file..

Have you done a reboot?

Have you tried removing the USB cable and plugging it back in while emplode is looking for the player?

You're giving us very little information here while at the same time being very impatient.

#230197 - 09/08/2004 13:55 Re: emplode doesn't recognize player [Re: mcsimuss]
RobotCaleb
pooh-bah

Loc: Austin
perhaps try ethernet?

#230198 - 15/08/2004 19:40 Re: emplode doesn't recognize player [Re: mcsimuss]
schofiel
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wareham, Dorset, UK
I can see this is going to be difficult. I can see as yet you have not developed a huge amount of patience, which you will need for this product.

Also, why do you need to get "files out of it" rather than put music on? You wouldn't be up to something naughty, would you?

As yet, I still have not got a clue what the problem is as you have managed to avoid giving a description that provides any info.

It seems:

- you have the correct USB drivers in place for the RIO, but are they the correct ones for your OS? There is one driver for XP, and another for the rest.

- can you actually run emplode, the upgrader wizard, etc. on you Windows machine? If so, then they are properly installed. Make sure you have the 2.0 or later version of the software for the PC installed. Have you attempted to make a serial connection with terminal software to the machine with something like HyperTerm (at the correct settings)? The settings are 115k 8N1 no handshake.

- if emplode runs, have you checked under the options box on the Connect dialogue box that comes up when the program starts and searches for players that you want it to look on USB? If this is not selected, it won't do it.

Try and put down here what PC set up you have: which version of host PC software you have installed: the version and type of player software you have on the player unit: and the type and serial number of the player. Also, see if you can identify the installed USB drivers on your PC, so we can check if they are the right ones for the OS you are using.

All of this is in the FAQ, which is as close as a user manual as you are going to get for something as complicated as this. This means a little patience on your part - RTFM, I'm afraid.
One of the few remaining Mk1 owners... #00015

#230199 - 15/08/2004 19:42 Re: emplode doesn't recognize player [Re: mcsimuss]
schofiel
carpal tunnel

This sounds like emplode has actually found a player with no name (hence unknown) on some connection, and is waiting for you to select the player icon and then open the connection. It will sit in this screen indefinitely until you tell it to do something. Have you tried this? Does it remain hanging even if you get it started? Does the progress dialogue open and start showing you progress gauges while it downloads the player database?

#230200 - 15/08/2004 21:18 Re: emplode doesn't recognize player [Re: schofiel]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Loc: Detroit, MI USA
I think it is greyed out when it shows that. Usually happens when the USB connection is lost during the search for players.

#230201 - 16/08/2004 11:57 Re: emplode doesn't recognize player [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
schofiel
carpal tunnel

...implying he is using the wrong RIO USB driver for his OS.

#230202 - 16/08/2004 15:10 Re: emplode doesn't recognize player [Re: schofiel]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Yeah, Brad quoted him the thing about the using the correct USB driver earlier in the thread.

#230203 - 16/08/2004 21:59 Re: emplode doesn't recognize player [Re: tfabris]
schofiel
carpal tunnel

RTFM, as always.