Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#230376 - 11/08/2004 10:54 Re: Empeg unsafe by design??? [Re: canuckInOR]
boxer
pooh-bah

Loc: Yorkshire UK
Quote:
That may be because it's an apocryphal legend.

I knew that, hence the "Somebody, other than I" preface, I run a motorhome and it's been in the mags. frequently.
Cris, you would have hated me when I was a pipe smoker, but you can light a pipe effectively without taking your eyes off the road, which is hard with fags. However, since I've given up, it's academic.
Who is that bird in the red Golf who drives up on the Adel/ Eccup road each morning, a cat's cock hair from your rear bumper, putting make up on, preening herself and talking on a hand held mobile?
She needs a better than good slap!!

#230377 - 11/08/2004 11:52 Re: Empeg unsafe by design??? [Re: edsmiata]
edsmiata
addict

Loc: New Jersey
Well...it seems as i have taken your minds off all of the bugs in the alpha release for the time being...and now i know who my audience is as well

#230378 - 11/08/2004 12:47 Re: Empeg unsafe by design??? [Re: peter]
genixia
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
I once saw a cyclist happily going along no-handed while making a roll-up -- ten out of ten for cool, but minus several million for road safety.

I didn't tell you to watch, and I wasn't doing it to distract you from your driving - I really did want a smoke. I've quit now anyway, so it won't happen again. Too my knowledge, no cars crashed as a result of my smoking on my bicycle, so no harm done.

#230379 - 12/08/2004 01:55 Re: Empeg unsafe by design??? [Re: webroach]
BinaryC
journeyman

I think the smoking thing has more to do with lighting up than the actual smoking... especially with those child-proof lighters.

#230380 - 12/08/2004 10:26 Re: Empeg unsafe by design??? [Re: BinaryC]
webroach
old hand

Loc: Colorado
Quote:
I think the smoking thing has more to do with lighting up than the actual smoking... especially with those child-proof lighters.

What strikes me as odd is that it seems as if the people talking about the dangers of driving and smoking seem to not be current or former smokers....

Any smoker I know (including myself until I quit) can light their cigarette without looking. This includes using a childproof lighter.

What people seem to be forgetting is that smoking becomes almost a reflex. You don't need to pay attention to it to do it successfully. Which is also one of it's nastiest little tricks.

Unless I am misreading this and the people commenting are current or former smokers who are implying "Well, when I smoked, it was dangerous while driving because...", I think their explanations of the dangers involved are about as accurate as if I were to explain why getting your period would make you crash your car.

#230381 - 12/08/2004 12:50 Re: Empeg unsafe by design??? [Re: webroach]
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA, U.S.A.
Quote:
What people seem to be forgetting is that smoking becomes almost a reflex. You don't need to pay attention to it to do it successfully. Which is also one of it's nastiest little tricks.

Isn't it, though?

I won't say that *nobody* has ever cracked up a car while lighting up, but, based on my 14 years of smoking (that overlapped about 12 years of driving), I must agree with you. My right hand knew *exactly* where that cigarette lighter was, and I didn't have to take my eyes off the road to light up. No more dangerous (vehicularly, anyway!) than drinking a can of soda. Probably less.

Congratulations, by the way!

'Tis the exceptional fellow who lies awake at night thinking of his successes.

#230382 - 12/08/2004 16:04 Re: Empeg unsafe by design??? [Re: jimhogan]
webroach
old hand

Quote:
Congratulations, by the way!

Thanks, Jim! I really appreciate that. I didn't think I would, but I really do feeal a ton better since quitting.

Which is cool, because I didn't think I felt un-good when I was smoking.

BTW, after re-reading your post, I take it you quit as well?

Edited by webroach (12/08/2004 16:06)

#230383 - 12/08/2004 16:15 Re: Empeg unsafe by design??? [Re: boxer]
belezeebub
addict

Naaa its fine. I spend hours searching for that one song while, talking on the cell phone, reading war and peace, and eating a big mac extra value meal. never have any issues here, Sure a few people honk at me or give me the symbol for yes they love the way I am driving, but there always behind me or in a ditch so I don't care or even give them a thought.

I love my Empeg I don't bother with making sissy play lists I lump all 14000 + mp3's in one huge diectory so I can have the pleasure of endless butto pushing while I drive down the road at 85+

So I am living proof the Empeg is 100% safe.

P.S. I am just joking I have hot keyed play lists, and my POS car couldn't do 85 downhilkl mt. everrest.
______________________________________ Do not meddle in the affairs of Network Administrators, for they are subtle and quick to anger. ______________________________________ Worlds Lamest Wb Site (mine) http://home.comcast.net/~jlipchitz/

#230384 - 12/08/2004 16:20 Re: Empeg unsafe by design??? [Re: belezeebub]
webroach
old hand

Quote:
I lump all 14000 + mp3's in one huge diectory so I can have the pleasure of endless butto pushing while I drive down the road at 85+

<dreamy nostalgia>
I should put all my music in one huge directory. I miss the carefree days of youth, the endless butto pushing.....
</dreamy nostalgia>

#230385 - 12/08/2004 16:43 Re: Empeg unsafe by design??? [Re: webroach]
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA, U.S.A.
Quote:
BTW, after re-reading your post, I take it you quit as well?

November 13th, 1979, 3:30 PM in the 6 South conference room, Beth Israel Hospital, Boston, MA.

The next month was probably the most difficult of my life. Finally around the 4 month mark the nightmares stopped and after about 6 months I never looked back.

Quote:
Which is cool, because I didn't think I felt un-good when I was smoking.

Then double congratulations! Me, I had a chronic sinusitis and, since I could no longer breath reliably through my nose, was only managing 2-3 hours of uninterrupted sleep each night. I used to have colds all the time back then. I can't remember my last one now ('course I tend to avoid small children!)

'Tis the exceptional fellow who lies awake at night thinking of his successes.

#230386 - 12/08/2004 21:37 Re: Empeg unsafe by design??? [Re: jimhogan]
FireFox31
pooh-bah

Loc: East Coast, USA
Quote:
Finally around the 4 month mark the nightmares stopped

Lordy, cigarettes are frightening. Good work kicking the stick, guys.

My 2¢: while at home, prepare playlists that you're likely to want to hear. Then, when driving, the majority of button presses needed to find the playlist can be done with eyes on the road, provided you know your way around the system. Been working for me for almost 2 years, though I do not use the advanced features in car, which seems to have been the original point anyway.

Solution? Plantir + palm + passenger = playlists! I have to get that running before my road trip... next year.

#230387 - 12/08/2004 23:14 Re: Empeg unsafe by design??? [Re: jimhogan]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
The next month was probably the most difficult of my life.

While I have no first-hand experience with tobacco (or the quitting thereof) I do have an anecdote to relate that is relevant.

A friend of mine used to live in Florida, the cocaine capital of the country. He described himself as being a heavy cocaine user, much more so than the people he hung with.

One morning he woke up in a motel room, more dead than alive, no idea how he'd gotten there or what he had been doing the last couple of days. He said to himself "This stuff's gonna kill me. I gotta quit." And he did. Never touched it again.

Fast forward a couple years. He's now in Alaska, has just met the woman of his dreams, asks her to go out with him, she says, "I'd like to... but I just couldn't date a man who smokes." "No problem," he says. "I just quit." He wadded up his cigarettes, tossed them in the trash, and never smoked again.

But... (and here's the kicker): He told me that "...quitting the cocaine was a piece of cake compared to quitting tobacco."

Bad, bad stuff that tobacco.

ps: He ended up marrying the woman...

tanstaafl.

#230388 - 12/08/2004 23:28 Re: Empeg unsafe by design??? [Re: tanstaafl.]
tman
carpal tunnel

Wow. He must have some serious willpower to manage both of those.

#230389 - 13/08/2004 10:44 Re: Empeg unsafe by design??? [Re: tanstaafl.]
webroach
old hand

Quote:
He wadded up his cigarettes, tossed them in the trash, and never smoked again.

Good for your friend! Actually, that's pretty much how I ended up quitting; my girlfriend and I decided that it was time, and we set a date of Oct. 26th (of last year). Both of us had tried quitting a number of times before, but turned INSANE after just a few minutes.

Somehow, though, this time it was easy. And I had even gotten myself worked up for a good fight against it! But I honestly haven't had much of a craving since I finished my last cigarette last October.

We both actually signed up for the Colorado QuitNet , but I've never really done anything on it. Not to seem rude, but the people on it seem really kinda sorry, and don't appear to have done anything but trade one addiction for another. But at least they aren't gonna get lung cancer, ya? On the other hand, it DOES keep track of some stats for you, based on what you told it about your smoking habits.... Pretty scary:

Your Quit Date is: 10/26/2003
Time Smoke-Free: 292 days, 6 hours, 38 minutes and 22 seconds
Cigarettes NOT smoked: 7307
Lifetime Saved: 1 month, 25 days, 19 hours
Money Saved: $1,277.50

Almost enough for two roundtrip tix to Tokyo! Woo! I'm gonna have to treat myself come spring!

#230390 - 13/08/2004 18:54 Re: Empeg unsafe by design??? [Re: webroach]
Tim
veteran

Loc: Arizona
Quote:
What strikes me as odd is that it seems as if the people talking about the dangers of driving and smoking seem to not be current or former smokers....

OK, I'm a former smoker who will talk about the dangers of smoking while driving One think to note is that I didn't smoke while driving (didn't allow it in my car), but I am a former smoker

Quote:

One of my friends was a smoker, and training to be a pilot. He would smoke while driving, but was so uncoordinated that he held the cigarette in his right hand. Every time he went to ash out the window, the whole car would swerve 1/2 a lane to the left. On a side note, he was actively scanning the dashboard as practice for his instrument rating. Every time he did (about once every 45secs or so), he would hit his brakes...

Of course, another friend of mine drove a standard, and it had a crushed subframe. When he engaged the clutch or disengaged the clutch, the car would try to leap one way or the other. He could drive that car without missing a beat while smoking, and the passenger wouldn't even feel it. He would just do some crazy countersteering like it was second nature... getting him in a normal car was scary as hell though. He'd try to counteract something that wasn't there and go leaping off into another lane anyway

The point of this rambling post is that smoking can be dangerous, depending on the driver. Then again, there are people out there who don't need any distractions while driving, they create their own.

#230391 - 13/08/2004 22:34 Re: Empeg unsafe by design??? [Re: webroach]
cushman
veteran

Loc: Erie, CO
Quote:
Light up a cigarette and set it on a pair of jeans or a car seat. You'll notice a distinct lack of leaping flames. It smoulders. On the FEW occasions I ever dropped a cigarete while driving, I simply pulled off the road and recovered calmly. I think the worst damage ever done was a tiny burn on a fave pair of jeans.

Obviously, you've never seen the Big Lebowski, man.

I condone smoking in the car, as long as you have an open beer to put it out with in case you drop it.

#230392 - 13/08/2004 22:36 Re: Empeg unsafe by design??? [Re: FireFox31]
cushman
veteran

Loc: Erie, CO
Quote:
Solution? Plantir + palm + passenger = playlists! I have to get that running before my road trip... next year.

My wife is my own personal DJ now. We've taken 2 48-hour trips this year (Maine and Colorado), and one 20-hour trip (Ocean City, MD). The Empeg and Palantir haven't disappointed.

Although I have to get her to stop inserting Barbara Striesand in between Led Zeppelin and Urge Overkill...

#230393 - 14/08/2004 00:05 Re: Empeg unsafe by design??? [Re: Tim]
AndrewT
old hand

Loc: Oxford, UK
Quote:
One of my friends was a smoker, and training to be a pilot. He would smoke while driving, but was so uncoordinated that he held the cigarette in his right hand. Every time he went to ash out the window, the whole car would swerve 1/2 a lane to the left.

My take on this is that he was probably right-handed and he was simply driving a LHD car, with his cigarette in his left hand (awkward).

Perhaps all right-handed smokers should be made to drive RHD cars?

#230394 - 14/08/2004 00:50 Re: Empeg unsafe by design??? [Re: cushman]
genixia
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
Although I have to get her to stop inserting Barbara Striesand in between Led Zeppelin and Urge Overkill...

You need a steering wheel remote using ir_translate so that one of the buttons becomes equivalent to a long pressed "2", ie "Hate Artist"!

"Sorry Hon, I don't know why that always happens to your Barbara Streisland tracks. Maybe the mp3s are corrupted."

#230395 - 14/08/2004 01:29 Re: Empeg unsafe by design??? [Re: genixia]
canuckInOR
carpal tunnel

Loc: Portland, OR
Quote:
Quote:

You need a steering wheel remote using ir_translate so that one of the buttons becomes equivalent to a long pressed "2", ie "Hate Artist"!

What he really needs to do is take Barbara Striesand off his empeg!

The foot has spoken.

#230396 - 14/08/2004 01:49 Re: Empeg unsafe by design??? [Re: canuckInOR]
genixia
Carpal Tunnel

Yeah, but that could get political. An unfixable and unexplainable 'glitch' on the other hand is safer.

#230397 - 14/08/2004 03:36 Re: Empeg unsafe by design??? [Re: Tim]
webroach
old hand

Quote:
On a side note, he was actively scanning the dashboard as practice for his instrument rating. Every time he did (about once every 45secs or so), he would hit his brakes...

I, personally, would say this is perfect eveidence that smoking had nothing to do with your friend's inability to successfully drive a car. And I think I'd decline if I were offered a ride in his plane.

#230398 - 14/08/2004 03:37 Re: Empeg unsafe by design??? [Re: cushman]
webroach
old hand

Quote:
I condone smoking in the car, as long as you have an open beer to put it out with in case you drop it.

But I don't need an open beer, because "I'm the DUDE."

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2