Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#232954 - 08/09/2004 22:16 Off to see Rush at Wembley tomorrow night, a few questions..
AndrewT
old hand

Loc: Oxford, UK
Well, I'm off to see Rush play at Wembley Arena, London on Thursday night - woohoo!

I was contemplating going to see them in Birmingham, based on a remark the band once made about a previous gig at Wembley Arena during the Moving Pictures tour; they said that they didn't perform as they might have because of the atmosphere at Wembley venue. On the particular night I was there they gave an amazing performance IMHO. I don't know if it was the audience on the night in question or the venue (or something else) but since I'm not a performing musician nor have I seen them at any other venue, who am I to argue? Anyhow, I have since paid a good chunk of money at eBay for my ticket (singular - my regular Rush-fan friends can't afford to go, their loss (and mine too although I did offer to lend them the money )

In any event I'm really excited at the prospect of seeing them perform again - I really thought that they'd never play London again after such a long absence. It must be at least 11+ years (Roll The Bones?) since they've played here (If I've missed a concert then please don't point that out, I'd rather not know!:) ).

Anyhow, I have two questions before I head off to Wembley tomorrow night; one aimed at anyone who has seen them on this tour and the other aimed more at people familiar with getting to Wembley:

Is there anything in particular that I should look out for? I don't mind spoilers etc. For example: Is Aimee Mann(?) likely to appear singing live on Time Stand Still or something?!

I'm going to drive to Wembley from Reading rather than use public transport. Setting off at 4PM for the 7.30PM kickoff - If anyone in the "know" here wants to tell me that the North Circular Road (from the A40) is a "NoNo" please go ahead now before I head off!

Now my second question: A few days ago I could have booked VIP parking at the Arena for £15. I dithered until tonight when I found out that the booking website no longer offers pre-booked parking, I suspect that I left it too late. Four days ago, none of the spaces had been taken. I've submitted this request via a web form to the company that manages this (CS Parking) but does anybody know of a number I can call to pre-book a parking place? I've even tried tampering with the querystring paramaters to try and get the Rush venue's booking details to show up to no avail. From memory, the VIP parking will save me some good time getting into the Arena and considering London traffic, that might just be crucial!

Edit: And a third question and how could I forget; am I likely to encounter any 'security' problems taking my empeg in there? I sure as hell don't want to leave it in the car?

Edited by AndrewT (08/09/2004 22:46)

#232955 - 09/09/2004 03:28 Re: Off to see Rush at Wembley tomorrow night, a few questions.. [Re: AndrewT]
genixia
Carpal Tunnel

North Circular during rush hour??

Admittedly you'll be going against most of the traffic. You will want to cut up the A404 to Wycombe and get on the M40 - you should be able to get there by 4.30 before that snarls up. Alternatively, cut up the M25 instead (shorter...but it's the M25. ) Either way, you want to avoid approaching the Hanger Lane Gyratory from the North Circular itself, and in my experience the NC can be bad south of the HLG. North of the HLG shouldn't be too bad as you don't actually have to travel far on it, and the next major jam point is a bit further north. (Admittedly, this is based on experience about 8 years ago, I suppose things could have changed.)

#232956 - 09/09/2004 15:17 Re: Off to see Rush at Wembley tomorrow night, a few questions.. [Re: AndrewT]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Quote:
Is there anything in particular that I should look out for? I don't mind spoilers etc. For example: Is Aimee Mann(?) likely to appear singing live on Time Stand Still or something?!

Aimee never performed live with them. Whenever they played that song live, they put up the video from the MTV music video of her singing the chorus parts, and a digital playback of her voice was synched with the music. Anyway, I don't believe that song is in the set list this year.

What to look out for... Hmmmm....

A lot of the inside jokes that they're doing in the intro movies to the first and second set are geared towards people who've been attending their concerts for the last 30 years and may just go right over your head. There's enough fun stuff in there that should keep anyone happy though.

Their opening medley (assuming they're still doing it the same way they did when I saw them recently) is a montage of early-period songs. But they're purely instrumental versions. I think they did it that way because they were hoping the audience would sing them, but no one seemed to catch on to that when I saw them. Perhaps the Rush-starved Londonites will be enthusastic enough to start singing, who knows?

Sometimes they'll do little sound effects and such during and between songs. Favorite moment for me was at the end of "The Trees", if I recall correctly, there's a sample of Homer Simpson going "MMMmmmm... Forbidden doughnut....". That sort of thing.

Don't dilly dally too long during the intermission, the intro movie coming back from the intermission is very funny and not to be missed, so hurry up at the concession stands and get back to your seat. They'll start playing the sound of crickets chirping a couple of minutes before the intermission is over, as sort of a hint to get back to your seat.

Oh, one big deal: BRING EARPLUGS for you and your guests, just in case. Their sound is very inconsistent from year to year and from venue to venue. Indoor venues especially have been (unfortunately) way WAY too loud in recent years.

Another big deal: BUY THE PROGRAM. If you've got limited cash and can only afford a T-shirt *or* a program, definitely the program is much more enjoyable than a T-shirt. Me, I make sure to bring enough for both. Now, what I didn't expect was the bobblehead dolls at the concession stands. That was an extra 60 bucks (US), and I'm still kicking myself for deciding "nah, they're too expensive" and not getting a set. So, basically, what I'm saying is... BRING LOTS OF EXTRA CASH for buying goodies at the concession stands.

If the reference to bobbleheads has confused you, all will become clear as soon as you've watched the intro movie to the second set. No spoilers.

Mainly, just relax and enjoy yourself. If they want you to really see or hear something, it'll be big. Don't obsess to much over details, just get there and enjoy yourself.

Quote:
am I likely to encounter any 'security' problems taking my empeg in there?

I don't know what things are like in London, but I never have any trouble at all bringing my empeg into a concert. The security people want to look inside the bag of course, so I unzip it, show it to them, say "It's my car stereo", they say "Oh, ok" and wave me on.

I did see the security people get on someone for trying to use a camera-enabled cell phone. But since it clearly said "no cameras" on the ticket stub...

#232957 - 09/09/2004 15:18 Re: Off to see Rush at Wembley tomorrow night, a few questions.. [Re: genixia]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Quote:
North Circular during rush hour??

Ba-DUM. "Thank you, I'm here all week."

#232958 - 10/09/2004 12:48 Re: Off to see Rush at Wembley tomorrow night, a few questions.. [Re: AndrewT]
g_attrill
old hand

Loc: Hants, UK
Heard a report on another forum that they were excellent and apologised for the 12 year gap and played for 3hrs+ or summat.

Gareth

#232959 - 10/09/2004 14:19 Re: Off to see Rush at Wembley tomorrow night, a few questions.. [Re: g_attrill]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Yeah, the set list for their current tour is about 3 hours. I was pretty happy with the song selection.