Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#233603 - 16/09/2004 11:53 Wireless home networking help needed (no computer knowledge)
petteri
addict

Loc: Helsinki, Finland
Hi, I'm having problems with my wireless internet connection at home. I've got two computers at home. I am connected to the internet via DSL service from EarthLink. The computer with the DSL modem (living room, HTPC) always seems to work fine (except that it cannot reliably send files or print to the second computer). This computer is directly connected to the router, via the DSL modem. The problem is that although I always have a connection to the net is VERY slow or just seems to stop on the second computer. Hitting the "repair connection" seems to sometimes help, but more often that not it doesn’t do anything at all. Can anyone here provide of clues at to where to start looking to solve this problem? I’m using a Linksys wireless B broadband router to connect the computers. The second computer (office) is connected to the router via a USB connected (hmm don’t know the term for this thing… antenna?) Thanks for any help!

Peter
Miami, FL USA

#233604 - 16/09/2004 12:27 Re: Wireless home networking help needed (no computer knowledge) [Re: petteri]
peter
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge, England
Quote:
This computer is directly connected to the router, via the DSL modem.

Um, what you want is for it to be connected to the DSL modem via the router, not vice versa. How is your DSL modem connected to your computer -- Ethernet or USB?

Peter

#233605 - 16/09/2004 12:44 Re: Wireless home networking help needed (no computer knowledge) [Re: peter]
petteri
addict

Um, what you want is for it to be connected to the DSL modem via the router, not vice versa. How is your DSL modem connected to your computer -- Ethernet or USB?

Peter

My mistake, it is connected via the router. It is a Ethernet connection, from the PC to the router. This all applies to the HTPC which is having no problems other than connecting to the office computer which is having the internet connection problems. Thanks again.

Peter

#233606 - 16/09/2004 12:53 Re: Wireless home networking help needed (no computer knowledge) [Re: petteri]
JBjorgen
carpal tunnel

Loc: Columbus, OH
Is your wireless signal strenght good? Do you have 2.4 ghz phones or other equipment that could interfere? I once saw an alarm system that put out so much interference, we couldn't run 802.11b more than about 10 feet from the WAP.

#233607 - 16/09/2004 13:06 Re: Wireless home networking help needed (no computer knowledge) [Re: JBjorgen]
petteri
addict

Quote:
Is your wireless signal strenght good? Do you have 2.4 ghz phones or other equipment that could interfere? I once saw an alarm system that put out so much interference, we couldn't run 802.11b more than about 10 feet from the WAP.

I do have a 2.4 ghx phone and my apartment building has a wireless system to read the water meters. But I do get "very good" to "excellent" on the signal strength meter. Would the interfernece show up as a "weak" signal strenght or not? Thanks.

Peter

#233608 - 16/09/2004 14:39 Re: Wireless home networking help needed (no computer knowledge) [Re: petteri]
JBjorgen
carpal tunnel

Loc: Columbus, OH
Many times it does. But I've only installed a few wireless networks. I can concieve that there may be occasions that it doesn't.