Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#234109 - 20/09/2004 14:20 Multiple users in WinXP Pro
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
So WinXP has "Remote Desktop" built into it -- think VNC. It also has a feature by which users can leave their programs running while someone else is logged in. It would seem logical, then, that you could use Remote Desktop to control that backgrounded session. But this is Microsoft, so logic is thrown out the window. You can't do it. It tells you that in order to control another session, the person currenylt logged in has to log out (or background their session).

In reality, I'm sure that it's not a technical issue, but a licensing one. And, as such, I bet that it's fixable with a registry tweak or something similar. Does anyone know of a way I can have someone logged in at the console and via Remote Desktop at the same time not sharing the same desktop, without installing a Server-licensed Windows?

#234110 - 20/09/2004 14:36 Re: Multiple users in WinXP Pro [Re: wfaulk]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
I wonder if it also might be a security precaution?

Doesn't mean there isn't a registry tweak to get around it, just suggesting a possible alternate explanation for the limitation.

#234111 - 22/09/2004 18:15 Re: Multiple users in WinXP Pro [Re: tfabris]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
Quote:
I wonder if it also might be a security precaution?

Nah, it's a licensing issue. If you want multiple users on the PC at once, you need to run Windows 2003 instead.