Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#237008 - 08/10/2004 15:29 Problems deleting playlists and maybe mp3s from karma
jmullan
new poster

I've been having a strange problem that I couldn't quite put my finger on. I think that deleting playlists or files from my karma causes it to hang during the transfer process.

When a playlist is deleted, are the songs associated with it also deleted? SHould they be? Pretty much all of the mp3s on my karma were added by dragging in the m3u playlists (generated from iTunes smart playlists - long story).

I'm way past the support window, and I think that this behavior is why I have had trouble with jEmplode.

In a possibly related note, my karma never saves the EQ choice that I make. I think that the custom EQ settings are saved, but it likes to forget that I was using custom eq 3 when I shut it off. Perhaps this has something to do with switching to flat and back while it is on (for when I plug in to the car) or maybe there's a problem with replacing the saved information.

Or maybe I'm just grasping at straws.

#237009 - 08/10/2004 17:47 Re: Problems deleting playlists and maybe mp3s from karma [Re: jmullan]
mschrag
pooh-bah

Loc: Richmond, VA
I've had several people report that deleting playlists causes intermittent hanging on the Karma. I emailed this in to the Rio Team to see if they've seen this also. I don't know if this is only an RMML/jEmplode issue or if RMM over Ethernet has similar problems. It seems to be made worse if you try to do things on the Karma while deleting playlists, but it sometimes hangs even when nothing is going on. This could definitely be something I'm doing wrong, but even if it is, there shouldn't be a way to hang the Karma.

#237010 - 08/10/2004 18:17 Re: Problems deleting playlists and maybe mp3s from karma [Re: jmullan]
mschrag
pooh-bah

Loc: Richmond, VA
Quote:
When a playlist is deleted, are the songs associated with it also deleted?

I don't remember how the UI works ... As far as behind the scenes, there's no requirement that they be removed. I suspect the UI has a checkbox like "remove completely" or something like that that delete the children too.

#237011 - 08/10/2004 18:18 Re: Problems deleting playlists and maybe mp3s from karma [Re: mschrag]
jmullan
new poster

This happened first in jEmplode, but I didn't figure it out until I tried to delete this in RMM. (not lite)

I think that jEmplode would hang when trying to replace a playlist because doing so requires a deletion. RMM just makes a new copy of the playlist and leaves the old one behind - it wasn't until I tried to clean up the old copies that my karma decided to ignore my wishes.

#237012 - 08/10/2004 18:21 Re: Problems deleting playlists and maybe mp3s from karma [Re: mschrag]
jmullan
new poster

I don't remember ever seeing a checkbox like that. That would be a good idea - I think.

I suppose that I could test this by adding a playlist with only a few items on it that weren't previously on the player and then deleting it. If those tracks are deleted too, then maybe that's the culprit (it appears to hang when really it is resolving which files are orphaned and which are associated with other playlists).

Or maybe this is just a random bug.

#237013 - 08/10/2004 18:29 Re: Problems deleting playlists and maybe mp3s from karma [Re: jmullan]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Quote:
I don't remember ever seeing a checkbox like that. That would be a good idea - I think.

I seem to recall that in the Karma and RMM UI, playlists were just playlists- deleting them did not delete the tunes themselves, and you weren't even given the option to do so.

Since the Karma was built around self-organization by artist and album, that kind of makes more sense. In that situation, playlists are something that you add on after-the-fact to get custom song groups.