Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#237999 - 19/10/2004 12:13 Re: New Home Ideas [Re: tman]
mdavey
enthusiast

Loc: Wellingborough, UK
I think you mean Hoover.
Ex-owner of stolen empeg #030102741

#238000 - 19/10/2004 12:54 Re: New Home Ideas [Re: canuckInOR]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
Quote:
I hate it when you have a lightswitch that operates the overhead light, plus the socket, so you can only use the socket if the light's on. Right now, for example, I can't use the socket by the door for charging batteries, even though it's the handiest location, because I'd have to leave the front door light burning all night.

That, at least, is simple enough to fix. You could open up the existing duplex outlet (with all appropriate precautions etc.. don't sue my ass off etc..) and "split" it, so that half remains swtiched, and the other half always live. A 10-minute job usually.

Cheers

#238001 - 19/10/2004 14:27 Re: New Home Ideas [Re: tman]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
Quote:
"George says that every American should have a vacuum cleaner in their basement."

Heh. Day of the Tentacle. Great game.

#238002 - 19/10/2004 17:03 Re: New Home Ideas [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
DWallach
carpal tunnel

A handful of ideas, partly from my own wish list, and partly responding to other posts:

- High ceilings are fantastic. My house has 10-foot ceilings, and I love 'em. I've seen older houses with 12-foot ceilings and they're beyond fantastic.

- Ceiling fans are great. You can feel cooler without needing to blast your A/C. Ceiling fans also work better with high ceilings. You don't need to restrict yourself to the, umm, low-profile models, to avoid any unpleasant collisions.

- Wood floors are good, but make sure they're flat and they're *hard* woods. My house's developer thought he'd be trendy and used some polyeurethane sealed pine 2x6 longboards. They're nice because they don't require any kind of subfloor. They suck because they're easily scratched and they have wide grooves between the boards that accumulate crap.

- Lots of wiring is obviously good, but a wiring closet would be fantastic. Make sure it's got enough power for whatever gear you want to put in there and, most important, make sure it's got an air conditioning duct. You don't want all of your gear cooking itself.

- Wherever you plan on having your media center, think in advance about where everything will go. In-wall speaker cable can make surround speakers much easier. If you want to do a front-projector, then you could hang it from the ceilng and have the video cables in the ceiling as well. Big win.

- I agree with the comments about kitchen storage. If you're half-way serious about cooking, you need just heaping tons of space. A gas stove is also a big win, as is a big, deep sink. Think about having a split sink with a big side and a small side, such that the big side can fit your biggest, deepest pot.

- Think about your shower. You'll probably spend more time there than in the tub. Make sure you've got a shelf of some kind. Make sure two people can fit. Ponder having two separate shower heads so you and she can have different water temperatures.

- Think about the house's exterior surface. My house has this trendy new "HardyPlank". It looks like wood, but it's actually 80% concrete and 20% wood pulp. You can put a nail through it, but it won't burn or rot. You paint it and the paint lasts longer as well.

- Think about where you're going to store your crap. If you can have a basement, that's fantastic. In Houston, where any hole you dig would just fill up with water, storage is a much bigger issue. Many of the newer houses come with "unfinished" rooms, where you might just dump boxes. And, if you later need it, you can always finish the room into another bedroom or something.

- Think about closet space. My house had plenty for me, but when my girlfriend (now wife) moved in, suddenly we didn't have nearly enough.

- Think about built-in storage. Other folks have mentioned bookshelves. If you're into hosting dinner parties, think about a buffet table or something else that can hold all your formal dishes, placemats, and assorted things to take pressure off the kitchen. Likewise, think about satellite bookshelves in the kitchen for cookbooks.

- Think about how people "flow" during a party. The classic problem is that everybody ends up crammed into the kitchen. I like the new trend to have an "open" kitchen where the cooking area is part of a bigger "great room". On the other hand, this means that people can see the mess of dishes piled up in your sink.

- Don't forget artistic touches. Older houses might have stained glass windows, wild-colored tiles in the bathroom, glass brick windows, or heaven knows what else. Newer suburban homes tend to be far too bland in this regard. Don't be afraid of more interesting colors or architectural elements. But, if you're going to go that way, make sure you've got a good architect helping you make the decisions.

#238003 - 19/10/2004 17:58 Re: New Home Ideas [Re: boxer]
Daria
carpal tunnel

Loc: Providence, RI
Not just that, it's easy to get leaks in the system and lose suction.

#238004 - 19/10/2004 22:33 Re: New Home Ideas [Re: DWallach]
g_attrill
old hand

Loc: Hants, UK
Quote:

- Think about your shower. You'll probably spend more time there than in the tub. Make sure you've got a shelf of some kind. Make sure two people can fit. Ponder having two separate shower heads so you and she can have different water temperatures.

My cousin has just overhauled their bathroom. They knocked a wall down and made another room smaller to extend it. They fitted a massage/spa type bath in a standard shape (jealous #1). Then they bought a huge shower cubicle unit with a curved glass door, halogen lights, top and side jets and a standard head. And it's got a built in radio! It's massive but so is their house (over 30 rooms, half is their pre-school nursery, half their house)

Gareth

#238005 - 19/10/2004 23:28 Re: New Home Ideas [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Loc: Detroit, MI USA
Wow, you guys really have some great ideas! Keep 'em coming! I'm writing a lot of these down and sharing them with my wife.

It looks like I'll have to put more thought into pre-wiring than I thought...

I'm getting pretty decent at doing tile (with my brother-in-law) so lots of areas will have tile as well. I can't belive how much people charge for labor doing tile! I'll be saving a lot doing it myself.

#238006 - 20/10/2004 05:13 Re: New Home Ideas [Re: DWallach]
canuckInOR
carpal tunnel

Loc: Portland, OR
Quote:
- Think about your shower. You'll probably spend more time there than in the tub.

Oooh, that reminds me... make sure your shower head is at a useful height. I can't tell you how many showers I've been in where the shower head is non-adjustable, and pointing at the middle of my chest.

(Oh, and one of those showerhead-on-a-hose type things can be useful, too.)

#238007 - 20/10/2004 05:14 Re: New Home Ideas [Re: mlord]
canuckInOR
carpal tunnel

Loc: Portland, OR
Quote:
Quote:
I hate it when you have a lightswitch that operates the overhead light, plus the socket, so you can only use the socket if the light's on. Right now, for example, I can't use the socket by the door for charging batteries, even though it's the handiest location, because I'd have to leave the front door light burning all night.

That, at least, is simple enough to fix.

Hmm... tempting, but I think I'll just move, instead. It'll be easier, really.

#238008 - 20/10/2004 06:32 Re: New Home Ideas [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
Quote:
I'm getting pretty decent at doing tile (with my brother-in-law) so lots of areas will have tile as well. I can't belive how much people charge for labor doing tile! I'll be saving a lot doing it myself.

As long as you are getting pretty competent at it. I can tile, but it takes me a while. I worked out that it'd be better value for me to work from home for the day, while I paid a professional to do our kitchen...

#238009 - 20/10/2004 06:58 Re: New Home Ideas [Re: canuckInOR]
andym
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manchester UK
Quote:
Oooh, that reminds me... make sure your shower head is at a useful height. I can't tell you how many showers I've been in where the shower head is non-adjustable, and pointing at the middle of my chest.

Just like Bill Murray in Lost In Translation?

Andy M

#238010 - 20/10/2004 07:49 Re: New Home Ideas [Re: Roger]
mtempsch
pooh-bah

Loc: Gothenburg, Sweden
Quote:
As long as you are getting pretty competent at it.

and know how to get the moisture barrier correct - critical in bathrooms. Water damages, mildew, fungus etc aren't fun...

#238011 - 20/10/2004 09:31 Re: New Home Ideas [Re: Roger]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Loc: Detroit, MI USA
Quote:
I worked out that it'd be better value for me to work from home for the day, while I paid a professional to do our kitchen...

That explains me trying to drywall! Actually, it'd be cheaper for me to pay someone to do it and then pay his buddy to keep him company!

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2