Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#238833 - 31/10/2004 15:07 Re: Anyone see Ashlee Simpson on SNL last night? [Re: JeffS]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Quote:
playing acoustic parts two times in a row EXACTLY the same to give it a natural "chorus". It sounds very cool, and a lot more natural than just adding an electronic chorus, but it isn't easy making sure you play something the same twice in a row.

Better: Play the same part twice, but play the second part capoed at 5 or 7 (or some other high capo dictated by the particular chords in the part) thus requring you to use different chord inversions. You get a very interesting and lush fatness to the track.

For "extreme" acoustic double-tracking, play the part once on a regular acoustic, and double it exactly on a nashville-tuned acoustic. You get the same set of notes you'd get as with a 12-string, but you get them much fuller and clearer. It comes out sounding like the best 12-string ever recorded.

#238834 - 31/10/2004 18:32 Re: Anyone see Ashlee Simpson on SNL last night? [Re: tfabris]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

Loc: Atlanta, GA
I usually do capo stuff as well, and when miced the same you get a really big fat sound. Quite a few of our songs are played with songs capoed like that live, and even more are that way on the CD.

On one track we actually have two acoustics stacked with different capos, making for four acoustics at once. Adding the electric guitar in and there's actually 5 tracks of me playing all at once! The things is, the acoustics end up sounding like a single guitar, just very big and fat, so live it doesn't sound so different when there's only one acoutic and an electric.

As for nashville tuning, I haven't messed with it yet, but I've heard it used to great effect (of course, being that I'm a Rush fan and Alex has used it many times over the years).

#238835 - 01/11/2004 05:38 Re: Anyone see Ashlee Simpson on SNL last night? [Re: JeffS]
Daria
carpal tunnel

Loc: Providence, RI
Quote:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6322824/

FWIW, I do know that a lot of artists do use vocal tracks to "boost" their sound rather than simply lip sync. Don't know if that was what she was doing.

It seems like the first time she does the song, she's using a tape of herself for backing for about the first line or 2 of the song, and then it drops away; Listen to the difference between the first and the second playings.

#238836 - 01/11/2004 11:32 Re: Anyone see Ashlee Simpson on SNL last night? [Re: Daria]
Ezekiel
pooh-bah

Loc: NH USA
Anyone watch SNL on 10/30? They just skewered Ashley and her performance, and not just once either. I thought it was a)really funny and b)great damage control. It made it seem as if the SNL cast & crew had no idea that something like lipsyncing could possibly happen on SNL. I'm sure the gaff grated on the comedians as well - they really put it on the line live each week. I'm certain Loren Michaels was thrilled to let them do all the bits they wanted about it.

-Zeke

#238837 - 01/11/2004 17:35 Re: Anyone see Ashlee Simpson on SNL last night? [Re: Ezekiel]
music
addict

Quote:
Anyone watch SNL on 10/30? They just skewered Ashley and her performance, and not just once either.

Last night CBS's "60 Minutes" program had an interesting segment.

Since SNL is approaching 30 years old, "60 Minutes" had decided to do an investigative report into "how do they put together and pull off a live show every week?

Guess which week they just happened to choose?

Perfect.

So they had people filming backstage as Ashlee stormed off, pictures of angry cast members looking around going "what the hell is going on" and an interview with Lorne where he doesn't say nice things about Ms. Simpson.

Of course, to be fair, they also have footage of the dress rehearsal earlier in the day (also in front of a live audience) -- where Ashlee's group decides to cut it short because her voice is really hoarse, and they thought it would be better if she saved it for the live broadcast.

Fortunately, "60 Minutes" was still able to cover what they originally
went in to report on. Quite interesting.

Apparently the entire cast and the writers (including Lorne) pull an all-nighter every Tuesday night. Then they cut the skits down from 36 to 11 on Wednesday, work like crazy on sets and costumes for three days, and do the dress rehearsal in front of a live audience, after which, they do some final tuning depending on what does and doesn't work.
Then a few hours later they go live....

#238838 - 01/11/2004 17:47 Re: Anyone see Ashlee Simpson on SNL last night? [Re: music]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Did they also investigate why the show continues to suck in recent years?

#238839 - 01/11/2004 18:00 Re: Anyone see Ashlee Simpson on SNL last night? [Re: music]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
Quote:
Then they cut the skits down from 36 to 11

Good lord, I'd hate to see the other 25. They must be depressingly unfunny.

#238840 - 01/11/2004 18:05 Re: Anyone see Ashlee Simpson on SNL last night? [Re: tfabris]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
To be honest, the show sucks much less in the last year or so than it has for a long time. They've gotten rid of most of their terribly unfunny performers (Ana Gasteyer, Chris Kattan, Cheri Oteri, Colin Quinn, Molly Shannon, and Will Ferrell except the occasions where he was really funny) and the writing is a little more solid than it used to be. Gone seem the days where they'd have a 30 second joke and drag it out for seven minutes. Although they are still doing the Smigel cartoons, which are seldom funny.

Last week's show was not very good, and I missed the Ashlee Simpson episode, but I've seen a number of quality SNLs in the last year or so.

#238841 - 01/11/2004 18:25 Re: Anyone see Ashlee Simpson on SNL last night? [Re: tfabris]
music
addict

Quote:
Dignan: Good lord, I'd hate to see the other 25. They must be depressingly unfunny.

Yeah, Dignan, but if you ever thought, "man, that skit looks like it was written in about ten minutes" you now know that it probably was!

Quote:
Tony: Did they also investigate why the show continues to suck in recent years?

Actually, Tony, here's a little-known secret. The show has always sucked. But at first you were too young to notice, and after that selective memory has made you forget some of the dreck of the past.

Actually, in my opinion, the show is better now than it was a few years ago. In fact, around the 23rd-24th season it was so damn lousy that I thought they were just holding on so they could do a 25th anniversary show and then kill it off.
It's not as good now as it was in the mid-late-80's or as it was in the late 70's.
But it's certainly much better now than it was in the early 80's. It stank so bad at that point I have no idea how they ever made it to the 10th season. (Case in point: if you ever catch a re-run from that era, notice how many cast members justly remained unknowns. Also note how every single skit from that era is based on the (flawed) premise "if I say something three times, that makes it funny; and saying it five times is a laugh riot.")

Today, Tina Fey is funny, and they've managed to pare off some of their more annoying cast members over the last few seasons.

#238842 - 01/11/2004 18:28 Re: Anyone see Ashlee Simpson on SNL last night? [Re: wfaulk]
music
addict

Quote:
To be honest, the show sucks much less in the last year or so than it has for a long time. They've gotten rid of most of their terribly unfunny performers

Hmmm, while I was composing my post, you were busy posting almost the same thing. Perhaps one of us has psychic powers and, like, stuff, you know?

#238843 - 01/11/2004 18:34 Re: Anyone see Ashlee Simpson on SNL last night? [Re: music]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Yeah. Too bad last week's show was just not very good at all. For one, they used their guest host about three times total. Although we did get to see Ms. Winslet jump up and down during the openeing monologue. (Speaking of which, it'd have been much funnier if they'd made her exhortations that she was actually live untrue. Missed opportunity, that.) In fact, the only thing I can remember as being funny was Kenan Thompson as the musical director on the rap talk show. Even then, the rest of that sketch wasn't funny.

#238844 - 01/11/2004 19:15 Re: Anyone see Ashlee Simpson on SNL last night? [Re: wfaulk]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Quote:
To be honest, the show sucks much less in the last year or so than it has for a long time. They've gotten rid of most of their terribly unfunny performers (Ana Gasteyer, Chris Kattan, Cheri Oteri, Colin Quinn, Molly Shannon, and Will Ferrell except the occasions where he was really funny) and the writing is a little more solid than it used to be. Gone seem the days where they'd have a 30 second joke and drag it out for seven minutes.

That's all very true. I couldn't stand Molly Shannon and her "characters." I think that the cast members you mentioned could have been funnier, but I think they took their skit-long characters and turned them into repeat appearances. I felt as if they were going after a type of comedy that had the single purpose of actively annoying me. Cheri Oteri had the knack of doing exactly that.

I know it's all subjective, but I think Amy Poehler was the best addition to the show. She's hilarious (at least on UCB), but I don't know how she's been on SNL since I don't watch the show anymore. Too bad Comedy Central has even stopped showing the old shows these days.

#238845 - 01/11/2004 19:28 Re: Anyone see Ashlee Simpson on SNL last night? [Re: Dignan]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

This is her third year, I think. So far she's also doing an excellent job on WU since Jimmy Fallon left.

#238846 - 01/11/2004 19:37 Re: Anyone see Ashlee Simpson on SNL last night? [Re: wfaulk]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Woah! She's doing Weekend Update? That's great!

#238847 - 01/11/2004 19:43 Re: Anyone see Ashlee Simpson on SNL last night? [Re: music]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Quote:
The show has always sucked. But at first you were too young to notice, and after that selective memory has made you forget some of the dreck of the past.

Not at all. I remember that once upon a time, the show varied widely between 25% and 75% good material on any given week. That's when it was good.

#238848 - 01/11/2004 19:47 Re: Anyone see Ashlee Simpson on SNL last night? [Re: tfabris]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Quote:
The show has always sucked. But at first you were too young to notice, and after that selective memory has made you forget some of the dreck of the past.

Not at all. I remember that once upon a time, the show varied widely between 25% and 75% good material on any given week. That's when it was good.

I didn't start watching until the mid 90's, and while Myers, Carvey, Hartman and those folk were great, I also loved going back and watching the episodes from the early years as well. I remember for the 25th aniversary, Comedy Central played every episode for an entire week.

I also did what a lot of people seemed to do, which was watch the show through Weekend Update, then go to bed. The skits afterward never seemed very good.

#238849 - 02/11/2004 01:25 Re: Anyone see Ashlee Simpson on SNL last night? [Re: tfabris]
Ezekiel
pooh-bah

Loc: NH USA
Aah yes, the episode right after Theodore 'Dr. Suess' Geisel died...Rev. Jesse Jackson reading Green Eggs and Ham "Ah wihl noht eat them ohn a boaht! I WILL noht eaht theahm with a goat!". Michael Jordan was the guest star and he just about died laughing doing Stuart Smalley, saying "I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and people _like_ me!"

Aah those were the days. Of course my memory is aided by the sweet sweet aura of the frat house room and that crappy old orange recliner that was perhaps the most comforable chair ever and the wonderful haze of being 20. Aaah.

[now]Actually I think this week's show was rather amusing. Not the funniest thing ever, but it made me chuckle a few times. I guess I'm easy to please these days.

-Zeke

#238850 - 03/11/2004 00:49 Re: Anyone see Ashlee Simpson on SNL last night? [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
gbeer
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manteca, California

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3