Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#238973 - 25/10/2004 19:27 Building music databases and v3alpha8
Bagpuss

Loc: UK
Tried searching for this on the forum, but couldn't find any mention of it.

I've just upgraded to v3alpha8, and am finding that every time I boot the player, it spends about 3 minutes building music databases. Is this normal?

Also, when I try and connect with jEmplode, it starts building music databases within the application, and then it just stalls, and never lets me get to the main UI. Is this also a known problem.

Thanks,

Andy.

#238974 - 25/10/2004 19:29 Re: Building music databases and v3alpha8 [Re: Bagpuss]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Yes, it is normal for the player to try to build music databases when you switch to the alpha since it uses a different database file. Please see this FAQ entry, as it applies exactly in your case.

#238975 - 25/10/2004 21:16 Re: Building music databases and v3alpha8 [Re: tfabris]
Bagpuss

Hi Tony,

Thanks for the quick reply, but I'm not sure that this is the problem that I am seeing.

If I look into /drive0/var, the only file here is config.ini.
There doesn't appear to be any database, tags or anything else for that matter.

I'm currently running an fsck, as I did get a warning here, so will repeat the procedure for deleting the databases etc. once this is done.

I'm only running on a single drive at the moment, so the /drive1 stuff doesn't apply.

Andy.

#238976 - 25/10/2004 21:36 Re: Building music databases and v3alpha8 [Re: Bagpuss]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

You must have skipped the part of the FAQ that says you need to synch once with emplode, and that the delete/rebuild procedure is only needed if that fails.

Note also that it's very specific about saying "Emplode".

#238977 - 25/10/2004 21:42 Re: Building music databases and v3alpha8 [Re: tfabris]
Bagpuss

Nope. Didn't miss it.

Whenever I try and sync with either emplode or jemplode, then it gets about a third of the way through, and then hangs.

I think this could be down to my hard drive cable, which has been causing some interesting symptoms of late. I'm only using the end connector, which has been stable up until now, but I guess it could be causing problems.

In any event, I've got a new one on order from Stuart, so will wait until it arrives before I come to any definite conclusions.

Thanks again for your help Tony.

Andy.

#238978 - 25/10/2004 21:53 Re: Building music databases and v3alpha8 [Re: Bagpuss]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Whenever I try and sync with either emplode or jemplode, then it gets about a third of the way through, and then hangs.

Okay, before you said Jemplode only. Just making sure.

Quote:
I think this could be down to my hard drive cable, which has been causing some interesting symptoms of late.

That could be part of it. Again, the FAQ clearly says to solve all your hardware problems first before messing with the file system...

While you wait for the cable from Stu, then go ahead and perform the steps listed. I know that you don't see any files there, go ahead and do exactly what the steps say. It even tells you you'll get error messages for some of the steps, that's OK.

#238979 - 01/10/2005 10:54 Re: Building music databases and v3alpha8 [Re: tfabris]
gasturbine
new poster

Hy there... just tried out the alpha 11... i have a empeg car(not labbeled with riocar) player with 120GB space, and got the same problem, i cant with jemplode or emplode not "rebuliding databases" i got the following error message with jemplode..:

Failed to download the music database from the device. caused by:
Communication with the device failed or was rejected. caused by:
Unable to open connection to device. caused by:
org.jempeg.protocol.ConnectionException: Failed to connect to the specified device. Please verify the device's IP address.
at org.jempeg.protocol.SocketConnection.open(SocketConnection.java:149)
at org.jempeg.empeg.protocol.EmpegProtocolClient.open(EmpegProtocolClient.java:359)
at org.jempeg.empeg.protocol.EmpegSynchronizeClient.download0(EmpegSynchronizeClient.java:154)
at org.jempeg.empeg.protocol.EmpegSynchronizeClient.rebuildOnFailure(EmpegSynchronizeClient.java:559)
at org.jempeg.empeg.protocol.EmpegSynchronizeClient.download0(EmpegSynchronizeClient.java:201)
at org.jempeg.protocol.AbstractSynchronizeClient.download(AbstractSynchronizeClient.java:170)
at org.jempeg.manager.SynchronizeUI.download(SynchronizeUI.java:177)
at org.jempeg.manager.SynchronizeUI$2.run(SynchronizeUI.java:155)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

Ist there a problem with less memory for the new playlist structure? what can i do? i heard, that some players (especcially the empeg MKIIa players have less memory then the riocars) not can manage the alpha soft..

thnaks for help..
greets

#238980 - 01/10/2005 11:07 Re: Building music databases and v3alpha8 [Re: Bagpuss]
Daria
carpal tunnel

Loc: Providence, RI
I had this problem due to my reservecache setting. I know I posted about it when I had the problem.