Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#239473 - 31/10/2004 21:25 Re: the Rove shocker.... [Re: genixia]
frog51
pooh-bah

Loc: Edinburgh, Scotland
Is it really bad that it took me more than 2 minutes to figure out what OBL meant? I even had to go through links to Ole Dirty Bast(i)(/i)ard before realising.

I guess it's just such an irrelevant acronym for me it wasn't even in secondary cache. All the Gulf stuff is just so many lies from all sides I just block it out now. Uninterested...aside from those friends of mine who have to go and fight in some nonsense war about oil.

Just can't be arsed really...blimming politics!
MkII, 80Gb SSD in dock

#239474 - 31/10/2004 21:54 Re: the Rove shocker.... [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
canuckInOR
carpal tunnel

Loc: Portland, OR
Quote:
Quote:
Presently, we have a sitting President who *may* have been wirelessly prompted through a Presidential debate, but the only journalists with the temerity to ask what that bulge was live within the confines of a comic strip. That's not good.

This is tin-foil hat stuff. Was he wearing earmuffs or something to cover his ears so that we couldn't see an IFB sitting in there? The reason that nobody is bringing it up, is because only the "Bush attacked Afghanistan for an oil line!" people are buying into this.

You know, I would have agreed with this, had you posted it a few weeks ago. However, since the Republican camp took the time to answer the charge, I'm now *more* inclined to believe that Bush was wired. Why? Look at the excuse they gave -- a badly tailored shirt. Whatever. A bulletproof jacket, I can see being at least semi-plausible, though I've seen enough cops in bulletproof vests to realize that, unless they have some fancy slim version, that would be a lot more bulky. They could have said "the suit jacket just puckered strangely", and I'd accept that. But, a badly tailored shirt? Shirts don't show through a suit jacket like that. It's not even a plausible excuse, which suggests that they're lying to cover something up.

#239475 - 31/10/2004 22:29 Re: the Rove shocker.... [Re: canuckInOR]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

Loc: Atlanta, GA
Quote:
However, since the Republican camp took the time to answer the charge, I'm now *more* inclined to believe that Bush was wired.
I dunno. If I'd say it's more likely they just didn't think anyone would really seriously consider this. I mean, the proof was right there in front of our eyes. If Bush had come up with some brilliant points and had been well spoken then it'd be one thing, but it doesn't take a voice in an earpiece to say "Ok, now THIS question you need to answer as if it were about Iraq, even though it really isn’t."
And seriously, if there were people feeding answers to him, SURELY someone would have said "ummm, Mr. President? You really shouldn't scowl like that." Or putting it another way, it's like accusing someone of cheating on a test that they've failed. Not that Bush "failed" the debate, but his performance hardly stood out.

#239476 - 01/11/2004 00:01 Re: the Rove shocker.... [Re: JeffS]
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA, U.S.A.
Quote:
SURELY someone would have said "ummm, Mr. President? You really shouldn't scowl like that."

Conspiracy Theory version 0.7: Maybe it was that little voice that made him scowl!

Quote:
Or putting it another way, it's like accusing someone of cheating on a test that they've failed. Not that Bush "failed" the debate, but his performance hardly stood out.

It is said that He was less erratic in #2 and #3, so maybe this was just a little experiemt that failed -- something that did more harm than good.

I have heard snips of Bush appearances from the last day or two, and he actually sounds more direct, more eloquent. I am guessing it must be some last-minute amphetamines. Just my guess!

My point wouid be that a) the "bad tailor" explanation really doesn't cut it and b) they wouldn't be above any of this.

'Tis the exceptional fellow who lies awake at night thinking of his successes.

#239477 - 01/11/2004 02:22 Re: the Rove shocker.... [Re: jimhogan]
Daria
carpal tunnel

Loc: Providence, RI
Quote:
Quote:
SURELY someone would have said "ummm, Mr. President? You really shouldn't scowl like that."

Conspiracy Theory version 0.7: Maybe it was that little voice that made him scowl!

<mom>If you keep that look on your face, it'll stick that way!</mom>

#239478 - 02/11/2004 05:35 Re: the Rove shocker.... [Re: JeffS]
canuckInOR
carpal tunnel

Loc: Portland, OR
Quote:
Quote:
However, since the Republican camp took the time to answer the charge, I'm now *more* inclined to believe that Bush was wired.
I dunno. If I'd say it's more likely they just didn't think anyone would really seriously consider this. I mean, the proof was right there in front of our eyes. If Bush had come up with some brilliant points and had been well spoken then it'd be one thing, but it doesn't take a voice in an earpiece to say "Ok, now THIS question you need to answer as if it were about Iraq, even though it really isn’t."
And seriously, if there were people feeding answers to him, SURELY someone would have said "ummm, Mr. President? You really shouldn't scowl like that." Or putting it another way, it's like accusing someone of cheating on a test that they've failed. Not that Bush "failed" the debate, but his performance hardly stood out.

Well, I mostly agree with that, but I should mention, though, that I have known people to cheat on tests that they ended up failing, anyway. Some dude from NASA that analyzes images for a living says Bush was wired. I think Bush was wired. I don't, ultimately, think it matters (beyond ethical consideration), since, as you point out, it didn't help him any.

#239479 - 02/11/2004 18:35 Re: the Rove shocker.... [Re: DLF]
peter
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge, England
Quote:
And here it is

CNN's web site, for some reason, only has a "partial" transcript. Aljazeera has the whole thing.

The many excisions include two paragraphs describing graphically the results of the alleged military action against Lebanese civilians, accusations against both Presidents Bush of causing children's deaths in Iraq (by means of sanctions and war respectively), a list of 1990s US media interviews in which he claims to have explained Al-Qaeda as acting in self-defence against "pilfering" and US-sponsored puppet governments, a claim that Al-Qaeda are operating a war of financial attrition (quoting $500K cost to Al-Qaeda of the war on terrorism, compared to $500B cost to the US), a call to US citizens to listen to those within the US who before the war said it would be a quagmire, and a long section where he quotes what he says are the final messages of September 11 victims as being critical of US foreign policy in the Middle-East.

Clearly at least some of his claims don't ring true, but IMO their redaction is more interesting than their content.

Peter

#239480 - 03/11/2004 02:10 Re: the Rove shocker.... [Re: lastdan]
CommOri
journeyman

Ya know, I *hate* both parties...but I will say this:

The liberals on this board seem to have a BUNCH of free time to type a LOT of stuff without backing it up at all (a la Michael Moore; much conjecture and shark jumping, much emotion, LONG, LONG, LOOOONG lines to connect the imaginary dots).

If you want, I can bash the RIght, too, but this'll prolly be enough to get me hammered out of the boards for a while...

#239481 - 03/11/2004 04:57 Re: the Rove shocker.... [Re: CommOri]
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA, U.S.A.
Quote:
the liberals on this board seem to have a BUNCH of free time to type a LOT of stuff without backing it up at all (a la Michael Moore; much conjecture and shark jumping, much emotion, LONG, LONG, LOOOONG lines to connect the imaginary dots).

Hey, CommOri, check it out. I think somebody hijacked your account.

'Tis the exceptional fellow who lies awake at night thinking of his successes.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2