Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#24058 - 23/01/2001 01:31 Re: bbs bug? (Fix?) [Re: PaulH]
borislav
addict

Loc: Sunnyvale, CA, USA
Okay the software author has done some tests with the site and can't find any problems!?

Apparently the bug doesn't affect everybody and it doesn't always occur. I needed a full day before I was sure it was still here.

Can people that are still seeing this problem after clearing their cookies please report their browser type/versions.

Netscape 4.75 on Linux.

Borislav

#24059 - 23/01/2001 14:22 Re: bbs bug? (Fix?) [Re: borislav]
gbeer
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manteca, California
Some questions intended to help. Please feel free to ignore them.

Would this bug manafest itself if a member were to login in from several machines and never logout from any of them?

I guess I'm asking if the bbs needs the user to logout of a session on one computer before logging in on another?

Does the logout cause the server to read the final state of the cookies, so that information is available to be dumped into the next browser session?

I ask these questions because earlier it was said that the server stores some state information in cookies on the local machine.

Also would the borwser preference about checking the copy that is in cache, against the network version, have an impact on what the user sees happening?
-- Glenn

#24060 - 24/01/2001 03:46 Re: bbs bug? (Fix?) [Re: gbeer]
peter
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge, England
Would this bug manafest itself if a member were to login in from several machines and never logout from any of them?

I sporadically see this bug and I only ever log in from one browser on one account on one machine (IE 5.0, Windows 2000).

Peter

#24061 - 24/01/2001 08:29 Re: bbs bug? (Fix?) [Re: peter]
schofiel
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wareham, Dorset, UK
I still seem to be seeing the last read post from each forum, and my lasts posts from the previous session, marked as unread in my next session. I never log out, and connect from two machines, one with IE 5, and the other with Netscape 4.7. The observed behaviour is on IE, I can't remember how NS behaves.

One of the few remaining Mk1 owners... #00015
One of the few remaining Mk1 owners... #00015

#24062 - 24/01/2001 16:47 Re: bbs bug? (Fix?) [Re: schofiel]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
I still seem to be seeing the last read post from each forum, and my lasts posts from the previous session, marked as unread in my next session.

Uhhhh, yeah, what Rob said. Netscape 4.61.

tanstaafl.

"There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch"

#24063 - 15/02/2001 02:50 Re: bbs bug? (Fix?) [Re: PaulH]
borislav
addict

Loc: Sunnyvale, CA, USA
I've applied a bug fix to the bbs which may hopefully fix the problem with read/unread posts.

It gets really bad sometimes - all posts for the last day can become unread at the same time. Interestingly, this only happens soon after midnight (PST). Luckily, at this point I only have a few really unread messages, so I read them from the "Past 24 hours" page, then logout and back in to reset everything. Oh well, it's not really unbearable but it'll be nice if it gets resolved at some point...

Thanks,
Borislav

#24064 - 07/09/2001 17:53 Re: bbs bug? (Fix?) [Re: PaulH]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Any new updates on this? Long ago I wasn't seeing it that much, but it seems to be nailing me almost every visit now. The one thing that has changed is I have moved from my mix of using Netscape 4.x and IE, to just IE. I'm also trying to watch it and see if it's also a possibility that a proxy here is affecting it.

I browsed through the thread about it on the wwwthreads board, and it seemed to be cookie related somehow. What effect would switching to session based tracking have on it?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3