Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#240758 - 10/11/2004 03:34 Re: LONG Road Trip!!! Suggestions?? [Re: loren]
TigerJimmy
old hand

Sounds like a great trip. I've travelled all over by motorcycle and here are my thoughts, for what they're worth:

1. Don't drive on the freeway. Yes its fast, but its boring. Take US highways or state highways. Better driving and you run in to the coolest people and things.

2. Get a National Parks Pass for $50 and visit all of the National Parks and other US Department of Interior sites that are along the way. The annual pass has a list of all of the parks, which also include things you've never heard of before (had you heard of the National Maritime Museum in San Francisco? Maybe, but there is a *ton* of stuff like that. Little Bighorn National Battlefield was one of the high points on a recent trip of mine). I promise you this is well worth while. You can even get a National Parks "Passport", which is a little book that has places for you to make a rubber stamp imprint at each park you visit. There are stamps at all of the visitor centers. The stamps have a date and it is cool to flip through it and see when you were there.

3. US50 is a great way east through northern CA if you *enjoy* driving. Drive around Lake Tahoe while you're at it -- but I'm sure you've done that. It might be too far north for you, but US12 through the Clearwater National Forest in Idaho is a religious experience. The best roads are road that go through National Forests. These often have a green dotted line next to them on the map. Always drive theses "scenic roads" when you have the option.

4. Bring a fork, knife and spoon, and keep them handy.

5. The coffee idea mentioned by someone else is a MUST. There is simply no good coffee outside of a major city.

6. Take pictures of everyone you meet, preferably with you in the picture. Ask them about cool roads and out of the way areas. A cool guy once told me about the "Lost Coast Road", which was another high point. I'm really bummed that I don't have his picture. Remember, you won't get to meet cool people if all you do is fly along "the Slab" (which is what motorcyclists call the freeway). Drive through lots of small towns. People on a freeway are eager to get somewhere. They are harried and tired and unfriendly. You want to travel the roads that nobody travels on and meet those folks.

7. "Eat Your Way Across the USA" is a cool book.

8. Keep a journal.

9. GPS is fun, but it can be a lot more fun to get lost.

10. You want to eat in small town cafes, especially in the midwest. You can get yourself a home-cooked breakfast any time of day that will keep you going all day long for about $4. Here is how you find them (you should be at least 10 miles away from the nearest freeway when you attempt this technique): Pull in to town and drive around until you find the cafe with all the pickups parked in front of it. That's where the locals eat. You should eat there too.

11. You need to drink lots of water (that probably doesn't apply so much if you're in a car).

12. If you haven't done it yet, drive through Death Valley on the way back (a National Park, again).

13. Don't drive at night and don't drive tired. Don't drive at night because you don't get to see anything. Seeing the country is supposed to be what its all about! Don't drive tired because it is dangerous and everything you're looking for is already right there. There just isn't any need to hurry!

14. If you take my advice and drive on the squggily blue roads (the secondary roads that are blue on the maps), you are going to need a good map. Rand McNally has a good set of 3 maps: Eastern USA, Central USA, Western USA. They save you a lot of money if you just get those three. You probably don't need maps for each state. If you take the freeways you probably won't ever need a map. Just look at the map posted near the restroom at gas stations to see your next interchange.

There is so much to see! I feel stupid giving specific ideas on where to stop. My best advice is to stay off the freeways (did I mention that??? ) as soon as you are 3 hours from home and to not make any reservations or time commitments.
Make some BBS posts along the way so we can hear about your adventures!

Have a great trip!

Jim

#240759 - 10/11/2004 14:06 Re: LONG Road Trip!!! Suggestions?? [Re: ithoughti]
DLF
addict

Loc: Colorado, N.A.
The scary thing is not the trip (I've been to those places on separate occasions over the years), but that your WRX looks almost exactly like mine. (Mine was special ordered w/o the spoiler.) Those are ProDrive wheels in anthracite, right, not just with massive brake dust?

#240760 - 10/11/2004 22:56 Re: LONG Road Trip!!! Suggestions?? [Re: TigerJimmy]
FireFox31
pooh-bah

Loc: East Coast, USA
TigerJimmy, that's some awesome advice. Now I've got this thread bookmarked.

Cris:
Quote:
any one want a Smart with 10,000 miles on the clock at the end of next summer

To park it in the trunk of my potential "no I'm not compensating" massive Buick, if the price is right, and US EPA regulations allow it; you've got my consideration. And if you need a place (or three) to crash in the NYC/NJ/Philly area, don't hesitate to PM me.

#240761 - 10/11/2004 23:20 Re: LONG Road Trip!!! Suggestions?? [Re: FireFox31]
Daria
carpal tunnel

Loc: Providence, RI
The EPA is much less likely to care than DOT/NHTSA; They certify safety, and emission mandates are going to be in favor of, not against, a SMART.

#240762 - 11/11/2004 01:09 Re: LONG Road Trip!!! Suggestions?? [Re: DLF]
ithoughti
old hand

Loc: Boston, MA USA
Quote:
The scary thing is not the trip (I've been to those places on separate occasions over the years), but that your WRX looks almost exactly like mine. (Mine was special ordered w/o the spoiler.) Those are ProDrive wheels in anthracite, right, not just with massive brake dust?

Those wheels are Rota Tarmacs in anthracite, they look just like the Prodrive ones. I only wish I had the bank for those!

#240763 - 11/11/2004 16:36 Re: LONG Road Trip!!! Suggestions?? [Re: ithoughti]
loren
carpal tunnel

Loc: SLC, UT, USA
I just took my Prodrive's OFF for the trip. I'll be passing through plenty of snow and the summer tires would make it a little too much fun. Back to the stockers for me.

Thank everyone for the awesome tips, I'll post a longer reply when i'm done packing. I was supposed to leave this morning but the snow storm going through Truckee/Reno right now has me held back a day.

#240764 - 11/11/2004 16:41 Re: LONG Road Trip!!! Suggestions?? [Re: loren]
Tim
veteran

Loc: Arizona
The biggest piece of advice I can give is to enjoy yourself. Take your time to see things and just take in the environment.

Bryce Canyon is awesome and Zion is probably one of the coolest places on earth. Valley of the Gods is phenomenal and probably still one of my favorite places to go camping/hiking (we actually stay on the shore by Lake Powell). Arches is also awe-inspiring.

Don't rush yourself and enjoy it. Don't be afraid to leave the interstate and go toolin around in whatever state you find yourself in. Well, unless it is Nebraska or Kansas... you can skip those

- Tim

#240765 - 11/11/2004 16:44 Re: LONG Road Trip!!! Suggestions?? [Re: loren]
eliceo
enthusiast

Are you going to be using the stock RE92s? I ask because I have been reading conflicting info on the subaru boards about how good/bad these tires are on snow and ice. I was thinking about getting another set of stock rims with snow tires for winter areas. If they are half decent I may not need to buy another set though.

#240766 - 11/11/2004 16:46 Re: LONG Road Trip!!! Suggestions?? [Re: eliceo]
pgrzelak
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
One final recommendation: though it sounds silly, you probably should keep some kind of journal or diary of your trip. Who knows - you might want to look back at it some time in the future.

#240767 - 11/11/2004 16:56 Re: LONG Road Trip!!! Suggestions?? [Re: eliceo]
loren
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Are you going to be using the stock RE92s?

Yeap. I too have read many conflicting reports on them in the snow. I think it comes down to if you know how to drive in those conditions or not. But either way... they'll be 100 times better than my summer tires.

#240768 - 12/11/2004 03:21 Re: LONG Road Trip!!! Suggestions?? [Re: loren]
loren
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Have you seen Bryce and Zion, especially with snow?

No, and I'm actually now starting to be pissed that I didn't plan the start of the trip better so I could make it through there. Hm. Mayb e on the way back...

Quote:
COFFEE

Luckily, I'm not a coffee junkie, so I don't have that to worry about =]

Quote:
Switch to Verizon Wireless. I have Cingular and my friend Jen has Verizon and she had far more consistant service than I did

Hrm. I'm hoping that with the ATT and Cingular merger I'll have decent coverage, but we'll see. Not paying that contract breakage fee just for the trip!

Quote:
Get AAA

I have roadside assistance with my insurance, which I just learned I've had for years while I've been paying for AAA all this time. Doh.

Quote:
I loved having my laptop with a wireless connection. / get GPRS for a month

Covered. I can dial up to SBC via bluetooth through my phone, at a whopping 9600 baud!

Quote:
The laptop was also good to bring just in case you need to do something with the Empeg

Ooooo... that reminded me to pack a crossover cable to use with my mac. Wait.... Mac's have autosensing ports don't they... n/m short cable will work.

Quote:
Don't know if bugs will be a problem this time of year or not, but in hind sight I would get one of those stoneguard clear bra things. I scraped so many bugs off my car

I'm hoping it'll be too cold to have to worry about it. That and my bumper is so hosed just from the bumper car parkers in the city that it won't do much more damage than is already done.

Quote:
Buy a Valentine 1

Did that shortly after getting the WRX =]

Quote:
Drakino: You could take a trip down I-25 to Colorado Springs and I can show you around a bit. Depending on the weather, Pikes Peak may still be open (bring winter clothes for that)

I might just take you up on that. It'll give me something to do after Boulder. We'll see how long I end up hanging around there. Thanks!

Quote:
Febreze

Good idea!

Quote:
Read about where you'll be

Done!

Quote:
1. Don't drive on the freeway

You know... I had the whole trip planned for freeway driving, but I think that after I leave Boulder I'm going to take your advice. That's what I really wanted to do anyhow... and I lost sight of that. Thanks for the reminder!

Quote:
Bring a fork, knife and spoon, and keep them handy.

Hadn't thought of that. Done.

Quote:
Take pictures of everyone you meet, preferably with you in the picture

Great Idea. I always take tons of pictures of people... but i'm usually sneaky about it which prevents me from actually talking to people... i'm sorta shy that way. I'll try and make a habit of your suggestion.

Quote:
Pull in to town and drive around until you find the cafe with all the pickups parked in front of it.

Brilliant.

Thanks to everyone. I'll be leaving early in the AM. I'll try and check in here, but if i don't i'll more than likely be posting a few updates on http://underachievers.com if you wanna click on through. See ya!

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2