Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#24320 - 08/01/2001 07:46 Displayserver Question
SteveVR4
new poster

I got the Displayserver 1.1 installed on my mark 1 Empeg easily, but am unsure of how to find out what the IP address of my Empeg is. I am running win98 (blah :P) and am trying to run the Displayserver over a serial connection. I lost all my MP3's backed up on my hard disk and am tring to use the Displayserver to send them from the Empeg back to my PC.
--Steve

#24321 - 08/01/2001 08:04 Re: Displayserver Question [Re: SteveVR4]
fvgestel
old hand

Loc: Netherlands
If you want to run over serial, you should install pppd on the empeg to setup a point-to-point connection to the win98 machine. I don't know how to setup a ppp-connection from win98 directly on the serial line ( without a modem ), but there should be some workaround for it.
when the connection is made, you can use the command ipconfig/all or winipcfg under win98 to get the remote IP-address...
It's simpler to use zmodem copy from hyperterm though : on the empeg, cd to /drive0/fids and give command "sz *"
hyperterm should come with a dialog where to store the files on your PC.

Frank van Gestel

#24322 - 08/01/2001 11:32 Re: Displayserver Question [Re: SteveVR4]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Empeg easily, but am unsure of how to find out what the IP address of my Empeg is.

I open Emplode, and in the first "discovery" dialog box I see "Tony's Empeg on 10.134.75.xxx" in the box. Then I just cancel out of Emplode and type that number into my web browser.

and am trying to run the Displayserver over a serial connection.

Um, Displayserver is supposed to be used over ethernet, not over serial. I guess Frank just posted a description of how to make it work over serial, but wouldn't it be easier to just use ethernet? For instance, spending 15 bucks on a network card?

I lost all my MP3's backed up on my hard disk and am tring to use the Displayserver to send them from the Empeg back to my PC.

Yikes, that could take weeks over a serial connection. Just buy a network card and do it right.

#24323 - 08/01/2001 12:08 Re: Displayserver Question [Re: tfabris]
SteveVR4
new poster

Tony,
I do have a network card, but I am trying to run the displayserver on a mark 1 Empeg. The only connection options I have are serial and USB. Is it possible to send them via USB? I am aware of long it will take over serial (eek!) and would much rather use USB if possible.
--Steve

#24324 - 08/01/2001 12:27 Re: Displayserver Question [Re: SteveVR4]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

The problem isn't getting PPP-over-USB to work on the Empeg (that's simply a question of compiling a new kernel for the Empeg with the proper features enabled), the problem is finding a driver for the Windows side of things. I don't think such an animal exists.

If you are going to be stuck with a serial connection, and your only goal is to recover files, then don't bother with Displayserver. Just use the zmodem file transfer protocol to send them via hyperterminal, like Frank said.

#24325 - 08/01/2001 12:28 Re: Displayserver Question [Re: SteveVR4]
fvgestel
old hand

I have experimented a little on USB, but had to rely a lot on second-party (demo)-dll's and vxd's.
There was a post some time ago that emptool was compiled under windows with USB-support. When I look in the source I find some files missing. Does anyone know if these are needed? when I try to open a USB connection the way it is done in emptool, I get nowhere... BTW I'm using delphi

Frank van Gestel

#24326 - 08/01/2001 12:36 Re: Displayserver Question [Re: tfabris]
SteveVR4
new poster

I'm sending them over via zmodem through hyperterminal now. I wasn't aware of the command to give the empeg to send them over, thanks Frank :)

Another question - I just noticed that they are being sent over without the artist and song title in the file name. The mp3 tags are still present, but the file name is numerical as opposed to my traditional "Artist - Song Title" file structure. Is there any software that could go through and rename my MP3's based upon the info stored in the "Artist" and "Song Title" MP3 tag fields?
Thanks again for all the help so far :)
--Steve

#24327 - 08/01/2001 12:44 Re: Displayserver Question [Re: SteveVR4]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

I knew that would be your next question. There are lots of software programs to rename files based on tags. Dozens and dozens of them. Have a poke around the software listings at MP3.COM and see what you can come up with.

By the way, you'll find that some of those files you're downloading aren't MP3s, of course. Some of them are database files. Only about half of them are MP3s.

Also note that, if you did any edits to the song information of any of those files in emplode, then those changes won't be reflected in the tags. Emplode doesn't write the track information changes to the MP3 tags, it only stores that information in its database. So the files you're getting back will be in the same state they were when you sent them to the Empeg in the first place.

#24328 - 08/01/2001 12:58 Re: Displayserver Question [Re: tfabris]
SteveVR4
new poster

Found a program that will do what I want, now I just have to wait a bit for my MP3's to transfer over. Any problems with keeping the Empeg on for so long? Anyway, thanks again for all the help Tony and Frank. I don't know what I would have done without my MP3 collection :)
--Steve

#24329 - 08/01/2001 13:04 Re: Displayserver Question [Re: SteveVR4]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

There should be no problems leaving it on for a long time unless it's sitting somewhere that's exposed to unnatural amounts of heat or magnetic fields (such as atop your monitor or something). Just make sure it's ventilated and isn't sitting too near anything that generates magnetic fields such as speakers or high power amplifiers.

Your real fear should be: How long can Windows run without crashing? It'd be a shame to get 90 percent done overnight, only to see a BSOD waiting for you when you get up in the morning.

And by the way, do you know where hyperterminal is downloading these files to, and is there enough disk space in that location?

#24330 - 08/01/2001 14:09 Re: Displayserver Question [Re: tfabris]
Smoker_Man

Loc: Calgary, CANADA
In reply to:

Your real fear should be: How long can Windows run without crashing?

Dont scare the poor guy!
Just because you have little faith in the only true desktop gaming os, doesnt mean he isnt running something better like NT or 2K.

Now your gonna reply with a link to his direct quote of which os he is running, and I am gonna have to take my statement back and eat it.

Or, take the drive's out and drop them in your desktop.... you will need ide adaptors, but any shop should have those

Smoker_Man
#080000449 MkII - 36Gb Blue

#24331 - 09/01/2001 00:38 Re: Displayserver Question [Re: Smoker_Man]
mtempsch
pooh-bah

Loc: Gothenburg, Sweden
Since Tony hasn't replied yet (I'm surprised!) I will ;-)

Look at the very first post in this thread: "I am running win98 (blah :P) "

/Michael

#24332 - 09/01/2001 07:01 Re: Displayserver Question [Re: mtempsch]
SteveVR4
new poster

Its been about 24 hours and no BSOD yet.
*fingers crossed*
--Steve

#24333 - 09/01/2001 08:31 Re: Displayserver Question [Re: SteveVR4]
fvgestel
old hand

How Many Gb's are you copying?

Frank van Gestel

#24334 - 09/01/2001 11:23 Re: Displayserver Question [Re: fvgestel]
SteveVR4
new poster

About 8 Gigs, give or take a little
--Steve

#24335 - 09/01/2001 17:26 Re: Displayserver Question [Re: tfabris]
bonzi
pooh-bah

Loc: Croatia
In reply to:

By the way, you'll find that some of those files you're downloading aren't MP3s, of course. Some of them are database files. Only about half of them are MP3s.

Also note that, if you did any edits to the song information of any of those files in emplode, then those changes won't be reflected in the tags. Emplode doesn't write the track information changes to the MP3 tags, it only stores that information in its database. So the files you're getting back will be in the same state they were when you sent them to the Empeg in the first place.

But if you did a lot of emptool tag editing, it is easy to write a Perl (or VB or whatever you are familiar with) script that will take tags from *1 files and use them to rename *0 ones. You could even change your ID3 tags accordingly, when you are at it, if you have a command-line tagging utility or a library callable from your script.

Dragi "Bonzi" Raos
Zagreb, Croatia
Q#5196, MkII#80000376, 18GB green
Dragi "Bonzi" Raos Q#5196 MkII #080000376, 18GB green MkIIa #040103247, 60GB blue