Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#244418 - 20/12/2004 17:54 Trying to partition and setup a disk by hand
shadow45

Loc: Florida, USA
Ok.. had a nonbootable disk last night so I opened up the empeg to yank the drive for inspection. fsck'd it, it was fine and I put it back in. I think when I put it back in I screwed the cable up because now the first plug on the IDE cable doesn't detect squat, but the second adapter is fine. I can also take that first disk and it gets detected on the second adapter. So, it looks like that first adapter is bad.

I wanted to partition my secondary HD (40gb) as the primary so I can use the Empeg while I wait for a replacement cable. I used the upgrade wizard to flash the Builder upgrade onto the player, but when it rebooted I didn't see anything that made me think that it would setup drives, it wanted to mount them like normal. then it got a no-root panic..

I then found a link to differentpla.net and how to setup the partition tables by hand. I did that, rebooted and ran the 2.00beta13 upgrade (to install the player app) and now it boots but I have no FIDs. I tried to sync (also a rebuild from within jemplode) and it failed on not finding FID 0.

How can I create reserved fids, or is there another way to do a fresh setup by hand? thanks for any help.

#244419 - 20/12/2004 19:50 Re: Trying to partition and setup a disk by hand [Re: shadow45]
mtempsch
pooh-bah

Loc: Gothenburg, Sweden
If you want to wipe the drives of all music etc loaded previously, the you should first apply the disk builder image((url=http://www.empeg.com/cgi-bin/display.cgi?section=downloads&id=5)found here[/url]), then an image with the playersoftware version of your choice (and then optionally a Hijack kernel)

#244420 - 20/12/2004 19:54 Re: Trying to partition and setup a disk by hand [Re: shadow45]
mtempsch
pooh-bah

Also, you could try giving that unhappy vonnector on the IDE-cable a firm (dont over do it) squeeze in a vice or wit parallell jaw pliers) Depends on exact what the error is, but mine has now worked close to 2 years after the vice treatment....

#244421 - 20/12/2004 21:18 Re: Trying to partition and setup a disk by hand [Re: mtempsch]
shadow45

I had installed the builder .upgrade and it appeared to be successfull (in the wizard)- but the reboot showed a normal looking bootup that then panicked when it couldn't mount a root.

Can I flash .upgrade files with the download(.c) app? I've been using emplode on W2K vmware to put .upgrades onto it as upgclient won't talk to my empeg over serial.

i'll try the builder again, thanks

#244422 - 20/12/2004 21:33 Re: Trying to partition and setup a disk by hand [Re: mtempsch]
shadow45

yeah, i saw that on a web page.

at first hda was spewing garbage. the kernel would read the vendor string and would return FU)IT\U .. at one point it was giving me high ascii. clamping the cable made it worse! oh well *awaits eutronix replacement*

#244423 - 21/12/2004 07:46 Re: Trying to partition and setup a disk by hand [Re: shadow45]
mtempsch
pooh-bah

Quote:
yeah, i saw that on a web page.

... clamping the cable made it worse! oh well ent*

Yeah... it's hit'n'miss, depending probablyon exactly how itd failed in the first place and how it closes up when squeezed... still worth a shot as it didn't work in the first place

#244424 - 21/12/2004 07:51 Re: Trying to partition and setup a disk by hand [Re: shadow45]
mtempsch
pooh-bah

Quote:
I had installed the builder .upgrade and it appeared to be successfull (in the wizard)- but the reboot showed a normal looking bootup that then panicked when it couldn't mount a root.

Can I flash .upgrade files with the download(.c) app? I've been using emplode on W2K vmware to put .upgrades onto it as upgclient won't talk to my empeg over serial.

i'll try the builder again, thanks

IIIRC. thr builder sometimes fails (quietly?) on making some partition... seems to be more frequent on large drives(?) Advice seems to be to run the builder repeatedly, 2-3 times...

#244425 - 21/12/2004 10:29 Re: Trying to partition and setup a disk by hand [Re: mtempsch]
shadow45

woohoo, applying Builder and then Developer once more when I got home did the trick. Now i have a happy empeg even if its limping with one drive

The empeg people should open up the hd setup process to us if they're not able to get better builder images out the door. i had to be almost there..

thanks for the help!

#244426 - 21/12/2004 10:56 Re: Trying to partition and setup a disk by hand [Re: shadow45]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
Quote:
The empeg people should open up the hd setup process to us if they're not able to get better builder images out the door.

I did. It's on my web page.