Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#244534 - 22/12/2004 14:18 XML/Web interface in car to replace broken display
TedP

Loc: South Bay, CA: USA
Hello,

So, I'm still without a display (umm.. any spares out there?) and I'm trying to set up CharcoalGray's XML interface to work in my car so I can at least look at a virtual display.

I'm using a basic wireless router and hard-lining the EMPEG into one of the ports, and using the computer wireless as the client.

I tested the setup at home first and it worked great. However, when I'm in the car, it tells me that I need to set [output]notify=1 in config.ini. I have already done this though! I read some posts about serial port incompatibility between AC and DC modes, but I presumed that should be N/A for me since I'm using the network interface. Am I correct? Luckily, I was at least able to use the playlist browser to queue up music. Speaking of which, is there a way to easily add an enqueue function to the playlist function of the XML I/F?

It sucks having no display

Thanks in advance.
Cheers
-Ted

#244535 - 22/12/2004 14:27 Re: XML/Web interface in car to replace broken display [Re: TedP]
Jemmi

Make sure you have dc_servers=1 in your config.ini... I think that's the command. I had the same issue when using my car computer...

BTW, Tony's Empegface is a much better thing for using as a display in car. I have a 7" touchscreen (with broken touchscreen) and I resized one of his examples using the instructions and have it fit width wise across my screen and it's in direct sight when driving as opposed to looking down. The only drawback is the immense CPU usage of Empegface... I'm running a VIA 1GHz motherboard with 256MB ram in a super small case (DIN size... 10" deep and has DVD player) and it sometimes overwhelms the PC.

#244536 - 22/12/2004 14:40 Re: XML/Web interface in car to replace broken display [Re: Jemmi]
TedP

Loc: South Bay, CA: USA
Quote:
Make sure you have dc_servers=1 in your config.ini... I think that's the command. I had the same issue when using my car computer...

Thanks for the reply. I defintely have dc_servers=1 in config.ini, but will double check.

How do I get Tony's interface? My poor laptop is only 300MHz though so it might not have enough umph to run the software.

Cheers
-Ted

#244537 - 22/12/2004 15:03 Re: XML/Web interface in car to replace broken display [Re: TedP]
Mach
old hand

Loc: Texas, USA
In the downloads section of RioCar.org (see link at the top of this page)

http://www.riocar.org/download.php?op=getit&lid=63

#244538 - 22/12/2004 15:56 Re: XML/Web interface in car to replace broken display [Re: Jemmi]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Quote:
The only drawback is the immense CPU usage of Empegface...

It shouldn't consume much CPU at all. Especially with the latest versions since it doesn't do an idle loop any more and instead relies on a timer.

If you're running the latest version and it's still consuming too much CPU, change the screen refresh frequency so that it has some time between screen refreshes.

#244539 - 22/12/2004 15:58 Re: XML/Web interface in car to replace broken display [Re: tfabris]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

From the readme.txt:

Quote:
A Word About CPU Cycles
-----------------------

To control the number of CPU cycles that the program
consumes, adjust the time between screen refreshes in
the configuration screen. This also controls how much
network bandwidth is used. The less time between screen
refreshes, the more CPU cycles will be consumed.

The program should only consume CPU cycles when it is
actively grabbing screen images from the player and
displaying them. To consume as few CPU cycles as possible,
minimize it to the system tray, or show only the remote
and leave the face hidden.

#244540 - 23/12/2004 15:12 Re: XML/Web interface in car to replace broken display [Re: Jemmi]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Loc: Detroit, MI USA
Quote:
BTW, Tony's Empegface is a much better thing for using as a display in car. I have a 7" touchscreen (with broken touchscreen) and I resized one of his examples using the instructions and have it fit width wise across my screen and it's in direct sight when driving as opposed to looking down.

Pictures?

#244541 - 23/12/2004 19:01 Re: XML/Web interface in car to replace broken display [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
Jemmi

It has been very cold here and the Lilliut monitor I have has issues with brightness due to the cold and due to low temps I have virtually stopped using the computer. Perhaps whe I get it up and going again

#244542 - 23/12/2004 22:33 Re: XML/Web interface in car to replace broken display [Re: Jemmi]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

And therein lies the biggest difference between an empeg and a custom built car-computer.

(Yeah, I know that you're doing both, and I think that's very cool. I'm just pointing out why those who make the custom computers just for MP3 playing have a harder road than we do. )

#244543 - 24/12/2004 13:33 Re: XML/Web interface in car to replace broken display [Re: tfabris]
pgrzelak
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
<groan>