Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#245877 - 07/01/2005 21:46 Christmas comes early
srhodes
enthusiast

Loc: Derbyshire, UK
All,

Felt I had to share. I had a great Christmas and hope you all had the same.

However, this week I have received 3 items that have got me even more excited.

The first, a new anamorphic widescreen version of my favourite film of the 80s. Recently released in Australia, I ordered it on Christmas Eve and it arrived this Wednesday. The film? The Wraith. Sadly typical teen movie but I have always loved it. It came out on Region 2 DVD a few years ago and I was sadly disappointed by the transfer. It wasn't even video quality and the image was seriously clipped. Haven't looked at the new one yet but it won't be long.

The second, the CD of my favourite movie soundtrack of the 80s. You may have guessed that this is ... The Wraith. A fantastic score with my favourite song of all time. I never knew that it had made it to CD but apparently there were some pressings in Japan and Germany. These occassioanlly filter through ebay but I got mine off iOffer.com. Even though it is digitally remastered the quality is a little disappointing, but still better than the attempt I made of copying to wav from tape then converting to mp3. I can always hear every glitch and it really narks.

The third, we are now a 2 empeg family. My new one arrived today. Only 18GB and still with v1.01 on it. In it's original box with 2 spare original lenses, all the cables and remote and software and stickers etc, etc, etc. I'm just putting v2 final on it now. This has prompted some slightly off the wall discussion in my household. 2 empegs ... 1 for me .. 1 for SWIL. So, they need names. I'm tempted with ... well ... this is probably just a UK thing, but when you see a couple with matching attire they are called ?????? and Hilda. The question is, do I fill in the blanks with Harold or Howard. Anybody know what that phrase is?

Boy, did I need to get THAT off my chest.

2x80GB Mk II with Illuminated buttons

#245878 - 07/01/2005 22:09 Re: Christmas comes early [Re: srhodes]
schofiel
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wareham, Dorset, UK
Good man...
One of the few remaining Mk1 owners... #00015

#245879 - 07/01/2005 22:52 Re: Christmas comes early [Re: srhodes]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Some quick googling reveals that Howard and Hilda Hughes were a dress-alike couple on the sitcom Ever Decreasing Circles.

#245880 - 07/01/2005 23:05 Re: Christmas comes early [Re: wfaulk]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
Not to be confused with Harold and Maude.

#245881 - 08/01/2005 16:55 Re: Christmas comes early [Re: wfaulk]
srhodes
enthusiast

Quote:
Some quick googling reveals that Howard and Hilda Hughes were a dress-alike couple on the sitcom Ever Decreasing Circles.

I remember that show, but I think the phrasing has been around longer than that. Of course, that could be the reason for the character names. If it is Howard and Hilda then that means I'm wrong ... again. I prefer Harold and Hilda and may go for that anyway.

As an aside, I got spare amber and red lens with my new player and it came fitted with a blue lens. I'd forgotten what a nice colour the blue lens is.

#245882 - 08/01/2005 19:43 Re: Christmas comes early [Re: srhodes]
webroach
old hand

Loc: Colorado
Good god. That has to be one of the coolest Charlie Sheen movies ever. If only for the car.

Congrats on the new goodies.

#245883 - 11/01/2005 06:01 Re: Christmas comes early [Re: webroach]
srhodes
enthusiast

Well, I watched it on Saturday night. Transfer is soooo much better than the naff old R2 version. But, best of all, I still really enjoy the film. Not so for the other person forced to watch it.

#245884 - 11/01/2005 20:41 Re: Christmas comes early [Re: srhodes]
webroach
old hand

Loc: Colorado
Quote:
But, best of all, I still really enjoy the film. Not so for the other person forced to watch it.

Surely they at least were able to appreciate the excellent soundtrack?

#245885 - 12/01/2005 10:22 Re: Christmas comes early [Re: webroach]
srhodes
enthusiast

Most of the soundtrack was appreciated. No choice seeing as it was blaring out of the speakers.