Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#245974 - 09/01/2005 16:17 Wireless ethernet bridge recommendation?
larry818
old hand

Loc: Fullerton, Calif.
Hi All,

I need a recommendation for a wireless ethernet bridge and I'm thinking since the empeg bbs guys know everything worth knowin', this is the place to ask.

I have an office about three blocks from my house and I plan to use an 803.11g wireless ethernet bridge to connect the two. I already have the yagi antennas I intend to use, but I need the bridges.

I had in the past, before it met the concrete at a high rate of speed, a Stinksys gen 1 WET11, which never functioned properly and was prone to crashing. Linksys tech support was clueless as to how to cure these problems, stating that they never heard of problems with the WET11, even tho several folks have posted to usenet with the exact same problems and have stated they called Stinksys about it, so Linksys is out.

Thinking that Netgear is pretty good, I found the WGE101 which seemed to do everything I want except WPA (WEP only), but does support multiple downstream IP addresses. The WGE111 (game adapter) appeared to be an updated 101 with WPA, and I found no mention of downstream IP adresses, so I took a chance and bought it. It turns out that the antenna is not removable and the "game adapter" supports only one downstream IP address. I suppose I could use another router (no problem) but I need to tap in my yagi antenna.

So, what I would like to find is a stable device like the WET11, wireless g spec, with a removable antenna, that isn't $600. Any suggestions?

Also, anyone know how to get the case off a Panasonic KX-TG4000b? I've removed all the screws and it's still attached somewhere in the middle. I want to add an antenna connector so I can get phone coverage over the three blocks.

Thanks,

Larry

#245975 - 09/01/2005 17:47 Re: Wireless ethernet bridge recommendation? [Re: larry818]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
Quote:
So, what I would like to find is a stable device like the WET11

Didn't you just say it was unstable?

I have had no problems with my WET11, and have used it for at least 3 different network devices (a PC, my Play@TV, and a Tivo) without any problems. All were able to connect to my network right out of the box. I'd at least give the 802.11g version a shot. You can always return it, and it's way less than $600.

#245976 - 09/01/2005 19:28 Re: Wireless ethernet bridge recommendation? [Re: Dignan]
larry818
old hand

Quote:

I have had no problems with my WET11, and have used it for at least 3 different network devices (a PC, my Play@TV, and a Tivo) without any problems. All were able to connect to my network right out of the box. I'd at least give the 802.11g version a shot. You can always return it, and it's way less than $600.

Um, I meant like a WET11 that's stable.

I found that there were two versions of the WET11, and mine was the first. The second, I've heard it said, as much as anything can be said to be "heard" on usenet, is supposed to be good. What bothers me about Linksys was their denial of any known issues with the WET11, rather than trying to help me.

It seems the WET54G rev 2 now supports wpa, so I may try it.

Oh, yeah, 802...

Thanks!

#245977 - 09/01/2005 19:57 Re: Wireless ethernet bridge recommendation? [Re: larry818]
tman
carpal tunnel

The WRT54G can do bridging as well. Any version is fine but if you want to hack it then a v2 one is best since it's faster and has more RAM. The speedbooster stuff can be turned on as well, there isn't aren't hardware differences between a v2 unit and a speedbooster unit.

#245978 - 10/01/2005 08:46 Re: Wireless ethernet bridge recommendation? [Re: larry818]
sn00p
addict

Loc: South London
Quote:
Quote:

Um, I meant like a WET11 that's stable.

I found that there were two versions of the WET11, and mine was the first. The second, I've heard it said, as much as anything can be said to be "heard" on usenet, is supposed to be good. What bothers me about Linksys was their denial of any known issues with the WET11, rather than trying to help me.

It seems the WET54G rev 2 now supports wpa, so I may try it.

Oh, yeah, 802...

Thanks!

Good luck trying to find one, I couldn't get a V2 anywhere (although you may have more luck if you are in the US), in the end I managed to get a WET54GS5, but that doesn't work properly with an xbox when you run with RADIUS/WPA/EAP-TLS - but does work correctly when just running WPA/PSK (Can't see why authentication should make any difference here)!

I've emailed them, but who knows whether or not they'll respond.

#245979 - 10/01/2005 12:47 Re: Wireless ethernet bridge recommendation? [Re: tman]
larry818
old hand

Quote:
The WRT54G can do bridging as well. Any version is fine but if you want to hack it then a v2 one is best since it's faster and has more RAM. The speedbooster stuff can be turned on as well, there isn't aren't hardware differences between a v2 unit and a speedbooster unit.

I have the WRT54G also. I'm about to try the Satori firmware replacement on it, as the Linksys firmware lacks some very basic stuff, like a site survey so I can tell if someone managed to break my security.

#245980 - 10/01/2005 12:54 Re: Wireless ethernet bridge recommendation? [Re: sn00p]
larry818
old hand

Quote:
(Can't see why authentication should make any difference here)!

I've emailed them, but who knows whether or not they'll respond.

This is why I don't like stinksys. My experience is their stuff doesn't work as it should (the WET11 would pass ms network communications, but block any tcp/ip stuff) and tech support will just deny there's a problem. Sounds like tech support at the last company I worked for.

I have found that linksys tech support always does respond, tho.

#245981 - 11/01/2005 10:45 Re: Wireless ethernet bridge recommendation? [Re: larry818]
sn00p
addict

Loc: South London
Quote:

I have found that linksys tech support always does respond, tho.

I sent them an email saying that the product doesn't work with an XBOX when WPA/RADIUS/EAP-TLS is enabled, I gave them detailed information on what I did and said that in the same configuration but using WPA/PSK it works.

Their response:

"Technical support don't support helping with radius configuration."

They've just got a rather terse response asking them to actually read the email because it's a bug in their software - not my inability to configure radius, ffs I even told them that both the radius server & the WET54GS5 have happily authenticated, morons.

Adrian

#245982 - 11/01/2005 13:02 Re: Wireless ethernet bridge recommendation? [Re: sn00p]
larry818
old hand

Quote:

Their response:

"Technical support don't support helping with radius configuration."

This has been my expeience with them. I prefer to give my business to companies that care.

Are there any?

#245983 - 11/01/2005 17:43 Re: Wireless ethernet bridge recommendation? [Re: larry818]
schofiel
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wareham, Dorset, UK
I would prefer to give my business to companies where the staff are sufficiently educated to use good English
One of the few remaining Mk1 owners... #00015

#245984 - 11/01/2005 17:52 Re: Wireless ethernet bridge recommendation? [Re: sn00p]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
I will say that I've only once called Linksys tech support while trying to get a very annoying DSL modem to talk properly with a router. They were actually able to help me just fine. I've never tried email, though.