Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#246565 - 15/01/2005 00:16 Does any one know much about Macromedia Director
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK
It looks like I might be about to get involved in porting a Macromedia Director app from the PC to the Mac.

I am trying to work out how difficult the process is going to be. It is complicated by the various Xtras that the app uses, including SeqXtraRuntime.x32 (parsing, playing back and recording MIDI), budapi.x32 (used for ini file reading, WinAPI specific stuff), MD5Hashing.x32 (used for MD5 hashing).

It would seem that the basic UI functionality "should just work", because that side of it is cross-platform, right ?

Anyone have any hints or tips ?

P.S. I know very little about Director, my exposure to it amounts to downloading the trial copy to open the 5MB Director file I have been given and nosing aroung the Lingo

P.P.S. is there a simple way of extracting all the Lingo sourcecode from a Director file ?

#246566 - 15/01/2005 00:19 Re: Does any one know much about Macromedia Director [Re: andy]
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK
I'm guessing that Xtra files are basically platform specific, meaning that if there isn't a Mac OS X version of an Xtra that the app uses I am in trouble ?

#246567 - 15/01/2005 05:19 Re: Does any one know much about Macromedia Director [Re: andy]
adavidw
addict

Loc: Utah, USA
Yes, Director "apps" themselves are totally cross-platform, but as you suspected, the Xtras are targeted for specific OSes. If it wasn't for the Xtras, porting would just be a matter of testing on both platforms to shake out any platform-specific Director bugs.

As far as the best way to get to the Lingo source, I don't know. My Director-fu used to be pretty good, but that was 7 years ago.