Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#246632 - 17/01/2005 07:43 Empeg developing glitches on tracks?
Dviant
new poster

Tried to search but didn't find a good answer, other than others have had the problem.

Well, I've had my Empeg MkIIa for a few years now. Its been very good to me, generally, over the years, but I notice that some tracks have become corrupt with time. Nothing major, but it is a little disconcerting to hear a sudden <p0p> or <ScrEEch> while I am cruising down a country road. Sometimes tracks seem to have had several minuites of silence tacked onto the end!

I'm wondering why are the files getting corruped? I would think if it were the head of the disk crashing into the platter it would cause a much greater error (IE: HD failure), and AFAIK the tracks are read only when actually in the car so they shouldn't be "modified".

Another thought I have had, though it seems unlikely, is that it could be due to my IDE cable. I have had isolated "No Hard Disk Found" errors once in a great while. Could that be contributing to the cause?

Its not a huge deal, I dont mind reloading every once in a while, I would just like to have some idea of the cause!

Thanks.

#246633 - 17/01/2005 07:52 Re: Empeg developing glitches on tracks? [Re: Dviant]
webroach
old hand

Loc: Colorado
Dviant,

I don't know that others here will necc. agree with me, but you need to do the following:

1) Buy a new drive cable from Stu (see the Eutronix link at the top of the page).

2) Put the new cable in your Empeg (attached to the proper places of course )

3) Enjoy problem free audio!

Seriously, I had this same problem and it went away the second I replaced the cable. I would recommend the extra-length cable.

Just my $0.02.

#246634 - 17/01/2005 11:15 Re: Empeg developing glitches on tracks? [Re: Dviant]
tman
carpal tunnel

It's in the FAQ actually Probably a dud cable or a bad IDE header on the motherboard.

#246635 - 17/01/2005 13:11 Re: Empeg developing glitches on tracks? [Re: Dviant]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Loc: Detroit, MI USA
It could also be a bad chip. that happened on my Mk2, but it's really rare.

#246636 - 17/01/2005 15:33 Re: Empeg developing glitches on tracks? [Re: Dviant]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Quote:
Sometimes tracks seem to have had several minuites of silence tacked onto the end!

This might just be the tracks themselves. Some albums have CD-ROM data tracks at the end, which, depending on your ripper software, get turned into long silent gaps at the end of the last track of the album. Also, sometimes "bonus tracks" on albums get ripped as lastsong+silence+bonussong. Check your original source MP3s on the PC to see if that's what's happening in those cases.

For your other problems, definitely read the FAQ entry that TMan linked above for the explanation and repair information.

#246637 - 17/01/2005 17:31 Re: Empeg developing glitches on tracks? [Re: tman]
schofiel
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wareham, Dorset, UK
NO, it's MOST LIKELY to be the cable - the IDE "problem" is just not that frequent.

I have them here at [email protected]
One of the few remaining Mk1 owners... #00015

#246638 - 17/01/2005 18:39 Re: Empeg developing glitches on tracks? [Re: Dviant]
matthew_k
pooh-bah

Loc: Berkeley, California
No one seems to have mentioned the big question here - do the tracks have the same problems and at the exact same spots each time you play them? (IE: Can you rewind and hear the same glitch?)

The drive cable is most likely, but it won't cause predictable repeatable errors. If, as you imply, your tracks were clean when uploaded and developed glitches while living on the hard drive, you've managed to do something very odd to them. It's also possible they always had the glitches, but your mp3 software on your computer dealt with the errors better.

Matthew

#246639 - 17/01/2005 19:06 Re: Empeg developing glitches on tracks? [Re: matthew_k]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Well, I've had my Empeg MkIIa for a few years now. Its been very good to me, generally, over the years, but I notice that some tracks have become corrupt with time.

I'm assuming that the songs have been on his player for several years and this is recent. You are correct in mentioning that some programs like Winamp do a better job of dealing with "bad" files than the empeg at times.

#246640 - 17/01/2005 19:58 Re: Empeg developing glitches on tracks? [Re: matthew_k]
Dviant
new poster

Investigating what tracks I can remember had errors. Should have made a list but its a little... disconcerting to be writing something while driving.

I'm honestly begining to think its the tracks, and not the player. For the most part at least. A couple errors I have actually traced to the source CD itself. A couple are tracks that have come from friends (who arent nearly as picky as me). Apparently WinAMP handles them alot better than the Empeg, but I can hear the errors if I'm listening for them. There are others tracks but I can't find them yet.

In a month or two I am planning to do a drive swap/upgrade. Just to be safe I'll get a new cable and have a look at my header when I open it up. I'm just going to reload everything so If I continue to have errors and everything else looks good it is definitely the tracks.

I appreciate the help, though.

#246641 - 17/01/2005 20:04 Re: Empeg developing glitches on tracks? [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
Dviant
new poster

Quote:
I'm assuming that the songs have been on his player for several years and this is recent. You are correct in mentioning that some programs like Winamp do a better job of dealing with "bad" files than the empeg at times.

Some tracks, yes. I only dock it every 4-6 months to upload new tracks. And some of those I have left on the Empeg for years. Some stuff I just never seem to get tired of.

#246642 - 17/01/2005 20:04 Re: Empeg developing glitches on tracks? [Re: Dviant]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
You said you'd gotten "hard disk not found" errors intermittently. A properly functioning player will never, under any circumstances, show that error message. So I think a certain number of your glitches are very likely a disk drive or disk connection issue.

It's true that some of the glitches could be in the source files themselves, so it's good to check them out. And the silent bits at the end of some tracks could very well be the source files. But since you also got the hard disk not found error, I wouldn't count on all the glitches being the source files. You're not gonna get that lucky.

#246643 - 17/01/2005 20:49 Re: Empeg developing glitches on tracks? [Re: Dviant]
schofiel
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wareham, Dorset, UK
Just press and hold the number 7 button on the empeg/Rio remote which marks the track. You can then connect with emplode later on and find the tracks you marked.
One of the few remaining Mk1 owners... #00015

#246644 - 19/01/2005 15:49 Re: Empeg developing glitches on tracks? [Re: schofiel]
Wood
new poster

Loc: Boston, MA
I was receiving Hard Disk Not Found messages and hearing glitches in some of my tracks also. Before I replaced the cable, I replaced the jumper on the Slave drive and my problems vanished.

I'm not sure how frequently a 'bad jumper' would cause problems but it saved me the hassle of replacing the drives/cables.

(Of course this wouldn't be an issue in single-drive players)

-Steve

#246645 - 19/01/2005 19:22 Re: Empeg developing glitches on tracks? [Re: Wood]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Perhaps you also re-seated the cables while playing with the jumper. A "bad" cable and "loose" cable act the same way - both are intermitent. Someone here even talked me into putting dielectric grease (the same stuff you use for car light bulbs) on the connectors and it seemed to cure my problems (after repeated playing with a new cable didn't help.)

#246646 - 20/01/2005 09:49 Re: Empeg developing glitches on tracks? [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
pgrzelak
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Keep in mind that the laptop hard drives used have a slightly narrower pin pitch for the jumpers. If you are using a jumper that was made for desktop hard drives, it will be slightly loose and might lose contact.