Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#248200 - 31/01/2005 20:25 Good wireless email device?
Dylan
addict

Loc: Virginia, USA
I'm trying to find a good wireless email device/service for my wife. She doesn't need it to be a phone, in fact she'd probably prefer to have a seperate phone. It needs to have text input better than T9 (QWERTY keyboard preferred) and it needs to be able to retrieve from POP email accounts. T-Mobile doesn't work at our house and I'm not sure about Sprint. Verizon and ATT/Cingular are fine.

I thought I would be able to find a device for under $200 and service for around $25. It looks like I was wrong on that one. Blackberry was my first choice but plans seem to be at least $50. That's more then we are willing to pay.

I think Sprint's data plan is a $15 add on for the Treo 650. But I don't see a standalone data service for the Treo. The device is $310 after rebates from Amazon. This seems to be the best option but not ideal.

Cingular has a $20 data plan though I'm not clear whether that can be used with PDA phones and whether it requires a voice plan. They only have the Treo 600. They also have some new LG phone with a QWERTY keyboard but it's marketed for teens to do IM and it's not clear whether it has an email client. It claims to run Java but I don't think it's an open platform otherwise.

Am I missing something? I expected this to be an easy thing to find. But everything seems to be marketed at teens doing IM/SMS or if it is designed for email it is priced for corporate accounts. And, BTW, is it illegal or something for wireless providers to make good web sites?

#248201 - 31/01/2005 20:39 Re: Good wireless email device? [Re: Dylan]
DWallach
carpal tunnel

Cingular's $20 data plan is something you add onto an existing account. Standalone, they want to charge much more for Blackberry or data-only plans. The cheapest way to get a Treo 600 going would be $20 for unlimited data on top of the $29.99 calling plan. Things get better if you've already got a Cingular phone. You can get a FamilyTalk plan, getting plenty of minutes for one phone, and pay $20 for unlimited data for the second phone. I don't see any easy way to buy a data-only plan.

T-Mobile offers a $30/month unlimited Internet plan that is what you really want, pricewise, but you have coverage issues.

Verizon wants $50/month, either for a PDA or a Blackberry.

So, when you say "T-Mobile doesn't work", do you mean zero coverage or just poor coverage? It may be the case that the data service is usable, even if/when voice service sucks. You're getting best-effort, which may be good enough for the price you want to pay.

#248202 - 31/01/2005 20:54 Re: Good wireless email device? [Re: DWallach]
Dylan
addict

Well I do have an Audiovox 5600 on ATT. I haven't had any reason to switch to Cingular so I haven't. Plus, I'm not sure if Cingular will officially support my phone. But maybe it's worth doing so now. It's too bad they only have the 600 and not the 650. Do you know if their Blackberry phone can be used as a generic data device without the special Blackberry service?

TMobile gets no coverage at all at my house. TMobile won't even let me initiate service from my zip code and friend's phones get no service.

#248203 - 31/01/2005 21:33 Re: Good wireless email device? [Re: Dylan]
SonicSnoop
addict

Loc: Triangle, VA
I believe Sprint has the Ogo, but I dont have one to say if its good or not. ( ogo.com )
-D Modifying and Tweaking is a journey, not a destination................................ MKIIa : 60gig - 040103286 - Blue - v2 + PCATS tuner MKIIa : 20gig - 040103260 - Blue - v3a8 + Mark Lord Special Edition Cherry Dock

#248204 - 31/01/2005 21:39 Re: Good wireless email device? [Re: Dylan]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
I know it's not what you're looking for, but I thought I'd just throw it in. Eventually I'm planning on getting a bluetooth PDA for this very reason. I have a Sprint phone and a $15 per month unlimited data plan, and I can use it as a wireless modem if I have a PocketPC PDA with bluetooth. Of course, this seems to only be possible with the SE T608. Boy, that's a lot of hurdles.

I will, however, say that I've had a positive experience with Sprint so far. I had TMobile for two years, I think. I would NOT recommend them. The best reception areas on TMobile have been as good or better on Sprint, and I've been in several places where TMobile gave me ZERO reception, but Sprint gives me FULL reception. That's just poor, if you ask me. I'm not talking about the middle of nowhere, either. I only live 15 minutes outside Washington DC.

#248205 - 31/01/2005 21:39 Re: Good wireless email device? [Re: Dylan]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Quote:
and friend's phones get no service.

Thats weird. My TMobile service will roam onto AT&T/Cingular when it can if no T-Mobile towers are around. And it doesn't cost me anything. I guess AT&T or Cingular may have only built GSM 850 towers in your area, the frequency that most TMobile phones don't usually support.

#248206 - 31/01/2005 22:20 Re: Good wireless email device? [Re: SonicSnoop]
matthew_k
pooh-bah

Loc: Berkeley, California
I didn't think sprint did, but I know AT&Cingular has the ogo. It's supposed to be exactly what you're looking for (cheap email (and IM) device). It's supposed to be cheap and plasticky, but there are rumors of hacking its bluetooth support, but I havn't gotten to the bottom of them yet.

Matthew

#248207 - 31/01/2005 22:47 Re: Good wireless email device? [Re: matthew_k]
Dylan
addict

Ooh..go.... this looks promising. $100 for the device and $20/month for unlimited messaging. That's precisely what I was looking for. I'll have to do some research and see if people like it.

#248208 - 01/02/2005 00:06 Re: Good wireless email device? [Re: Dylan]
Dylan
addict

I love this forum. I appreciate all the replies but the Ogo is the winner. $80 and $15/month since I'm an ATT customer. That includes unlimited email/IM/SMS. The IM is a real bonus since my wife's company blocks AIM and she misses it.

#248209 - 01/02/2005 00:11 Re: Good wireless email device? [Re: Dylan]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
No no, my friend. It's $80. And the base plan is $18 a month. That is one cool looking device. I may be scrapping my initial plan and going for that thing!

*edit* Scratch that question. You can supposedly use any POP3 account *edit*

The one addition they could make that would push me over the edge would be a basic calendar or scheduler.

*edit*
The last thing I have to wonder is why there isn't an internet browser built in. Oh well.

Edited by Dignan17 (01/02/2005 01:22)

#248210 - 01/02/2005 00:19 Re: Good wireless email device? [Re: drakino]
robricc
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Quote:
My TMobile service will roam onto AT&T/Cingular when it can if no T-Mobile towers are around.

T-Mobile and Cingular at one point started a company called GSM Factory (aka GSM Facilities) together. This entity put up towers and T-Mobile and Cingular paid into it based on percentage used per area or tower (I don't recall all the details). I know these shared towers were put up in at least NY-metro, Nevada, and parts of California. I cannot find a website for GSM Factory, but there is more info on how it work on HoFo which is where I heard about it.

I have one of the new 64k SIMs from Cingular which is post-ATT buyout and is supposed to prefer Cingular and ATT towers. However, at work my phone prefers to be on a T-Mobile tower with 2 bars of reception rather than the ATT tower with 4 bars. I guess this is one of those towers since I do work in the NY-metro area. At my house, my phone prefers to live on CellOne's GSM 850 towers which is a roaming agreement ATT had. Around my town where there is spotty T-Mobile service (spotty T-Mobile service = the norm), my phone still prefers CellOne.

#248211 - 02/02/2005 23:35 Re: Good wireless email device? [Re: Dignan]
Dylan
addict

I received the Ogo today. I could nitpick about a couple of things but overall it's a nice device for what it's designed to do. Both the hardware and service are about 1/3 the price of any other option I found so I think it's a fantastic bargain.

Certainly, a browser would be desirable. I'm guessing it's omitted because they wouldn't be willing to give that much GPRS bandwidth at the $20ish price. Then once you get into metered plans you lose the fixed cost aspect that makes it appealing for parents to give to their teenagers.

#248212 - 02/02/2005 23:41 Re: Good wireless email device? [Re: Dylan]
Dylan
addict

Oh, regarding the bluetooth and hacking. The device will pair up as a modem and you can use a laptop/PDA to retrieve email without any special configuration. But ports other then 110 are blocked. So someone set up a proxy on port 110 that works if you change your browser's settings. See details at www.ogomatic.com .

#248213 - 03/02/2005 14:02 Re: Good wireless email device? [Re: Dylan]
SuperQ
addict

Loc: Berlin, DE
I personaly _love_ my Sprint Treo 650. It is a lot more than just a hand held email device.

If you have AT&Cingular in the area.. the Nokia 6820 might be a good choice.. it's also a decent phone. and at $99.. it's cheap.

#248214 - 03/02/2005 15:40 Re: Good wireless email device? [Re: SuperQ]
Daria
carpal tunnel

Loc: Providence, RI
Treo 650 is out for Cingular now.

#248215 - 04/02/2005 09:43 Re: Good wireless email device? [Re: SuperQ]
julf
veteran

Loc: Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Quote:
Nokia 6820 might be a good choice.. it's also a decent phone. and at $99.. it's cheap.

Have to agree - I switched from using the 9200 series (Communicator) to a 6810, and haven't looked back. The 6820 is pretty much the same phone, but with the camera. I don't do much email on the phone, but the keyboard and display are surprisingly handy.

#248216 - 08/02/2005 13:50 Re: Good wireless email device? [Re: Dylan]
Dylan
addict

The Ogo has been a huge hit with my wife. She is usually luke warm towards technology but adores this device. It chirps and makes little happy sounds. It's easy to use. It reminds me of the TiVo in it's design philosophy.

Admittedly, it's limited and isn't the device I would choose for myself. But it's very well designed for it's intended purpose and audience. The only significant complaint she has is the battery life. It won't make it through a full day of heavy usage. But it charges through a mini-USB port which is convenient. (She's been bored at work and I get the impression she's been spending most of her day tapping away on it.)