Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#248964 - 11/02/2005 10:12 Sensible
schofiel
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wareham, Dorset, UK
At the risk of starting another round of political argument, here is a link to a well-written argument that is worth reading. I am not posting this to inflame, annoy or otherwise upset people here, as so often seems to be the case these days on this board.

No, what I want is for you to go through the article and read it carefully, before putting on your high-explosive hat, and let it sink in - especially the last couple of paragraphs.

If you are curious as to who the writer is, he's Oliver Postgate, co-creator of Bagpuss, The Clangers, Ivor the Engine, Noggin the Nog, The Pogles, and other works of high-quality children's TV. You can have a look at other musings under the same URL.
One of the few remaining Mk1 owners... #00015

#248965 - 11/02/2005 10:40 A Gentler World [Re: schofiel]
schofiel
carpal tunnel

... and here's how he did it.
One of the few remaining Mk1 owners... #00015

#248966 - 11/02/2005 13:33 Re: A Gentler World [Re: schofiel]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
Way cool!

#248967 - 11/02/2005 16:54 Re: A Gentler World [Re: schofiel]
loren
carpal tunnel

Loc: SLC, UT, USA
First off... very well written piece. Second... why the F haven't I heard of this guy?! That looks amazing. I'm off to do some research on him. Wonder If I can find any of his work here in the US.

#248968 - 11/02/2005 17:07 Re: A Gentler World [Re: loren]
schofiel
carpal tunnel

I am astonished - close to Ray Harryhausen in vintage, and in innovation - all done on a shoestring. Yet you've never heard of him - and you worked at ILM? Apparently, GL watched these (and James Cameron, amazingly enough) for ideas!

I would recommend "The Clangers" on DVD which is the most easily accessible stuff. The first time you see it, you will either fall over laughing in disbelief, or - more likely - you will be captivated by the images he has put onto the screen, and wonder at the fact that they were being produced just before Eagle landed at Tranquility.

If there is interest, then let me know and I will arrange for a viewing at the empeg meet in the Summer - yet another reason to come to the party

PS We have this guy to thank for Wallace and Grommit and Chicken Run from Aardman Animations - Nick Park (twice an Oscar winner for animation - see various Pixar movies for "quotes") was apparently also inspired by his work in stop-motion.

#248969 - 11/02/2005 17:24 Re: A Gentler World [Re: schofiel]
loren
carpal tunnel

Loc: SLC, UT, USA
<--Crawls under couch.

In my defense, it was a bit before my time, and in another country.

But man, I LOVE guys like this who just invent techniques out of necessity. Brilliant. I've always secretly wanted to do stop motion rather than CG.

#248970 - 11/02/2005 17:44 Re: A Gentler World [Re: loren]
cushman
veteran

Loc: Erie, CO
Like this? (Done with a cheap webcam).

#248971 - 11/02/2005 19:32 Re: Sensible [Re: schofiel]
peter
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge, England
Quote:
Bagpuss, The Clangers, Ivor the Engine, Noggin the Nog

The animation wasn't even the best bit. Not so long ago I was getting into my brother's car for some journey somewhere, and was all-of-a-sudden transfixed by the voice on the radio. It turned out that Pick of the Week were rerunning a clip of an Oliver Postgate interview. I can't remember what he was talking about, but the sound of his voice was like butterbeans and chocolate digestives and childhood and warmth all wrapped up into one thing. It's an incredibly soothing and mellifluous voice, even when I later heard him relating the dizzying absurdities of Elastic Planet -- although perhaps it's just that I watched all those programmes when I was very, very young. I bet there's a whole generation of Brits who, if you said to them, in the right tone of voice, "Professor Yaffle, a carved wooden bookend in the shape of a woodpecker" would dissolve into reverie...

Peter

#248972 - 11/02/2005 20:08 Re: Sensible [Re: schofiel]
benito
new poster

Interesting indeed. Well written, only slightly flamey and thoughtful. However the author does that which is warned against:

"...casual thinking can often consist almost entirely in choosing, collecting and comparing the conveniently-labelled goods that happen to be about."

"President Bush, and indeed his friend and henchman Tony Blair..."

Henchman?

It's a good article, but it's biased. But then why shouldn't it be? Being equivocal or ambivalent would weaken the impact of the author's meaning.

Of course, perhaps I'm being biased against those with bias =)

#248973 - 12/02/2005 00:22 Re: Sensible [Re: schofiel]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
The first step towards that must be a rejection of bluster, brave fancy and the convenience-packaging of weasel-words, coupled with a genuine readiness to recognise and accept the full reality of a situation, whatever it may be.

All hail President Bush: "My mind is made up. Don't confuse me with facts!"

tanstaafl.