Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#250912 - 21/04/2005 20:06 Re: The final decision [Re: andym]
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK
Quote:
Actually, do you Londonites know about a TV service that seems to run over ADSL? I saw an advert on the tube last time i was down there, it certainly looked like it was London only, probably due to the proximity to an exchange required for 8 meg ADSL.

That would be Home Choice http://www.homechoice.co.uk/

Available to about 1.25 million London homes:

P.S. I don't think HomeChoice relies on 8Mb lines, they only use 2.3Mb of bandwidth for the TV stream.

#250913 - 22/04/2005 06:47 Re: The final decision [Re: andy]
andym
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manchester UK
I wonder if it relies on specific kit in the exchanges then.

Andy M

#250914 - 22/04/2005 07:06 Re: The final decision [Re: andym]
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK
I believe it does. If I remember rightly they have their own DSLAMs in the exchanges in question.

#250915 - 22/04/2005 07:54 Re: The final decision [Re: andy]
andym
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manchester UK
No doubt to keep the the video stuff on a seperate network, which I imagine it relies on to deliver a drop-out free TV service.

Andy M

#250916 - 22/04/2005 10:43 Re: The final decision [Re: andy]
tman
carpal tunnel

They use Local Loop Unbundling so they can stick their own equipment in the exchange as you say. Bulldog does LLU as well.

#250917 - 24/04/2005 18:12 Re: The final decision [Re: drakino]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
DirecTV is offering a $200 rebate to (former?) Voom customers.

#250918 - 24/04/2005 18:20 Re: The final decision [Re: wfaulk]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Heh cool. Vulture move, but cool.

#250919 - 24/04/2005 23:49 Re: The final decision [Re: wfaulk]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Quote:
DirecTV is offering a $200 rebate to (former?) Voom customers.

Yeah. The installer that did Voom told me about that. I was the 3rd person that asked "What happens when they switch to MPEG4". They are going to try and dig an answer out of their escalation path and get back to me.

#250920 - 30/04/2005 17:22 The fat lady has not sung! [Re: drakino]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Well, I had planned to go through with upgrading Dish last night. I turned on the TV, hit the Voom button, and instead of the Voom is dead message, it instead was a Voom programing is not dead message. My Voom service will continue at least through Sunday currently, and at that time Dish will be offering a much better deal then DirecTV.
Quote:
Customers can sign a one-year agreement and receive six free months of HD programming with high-definition receivers in up to two rooms at no charge. For a limited time, those who sign up can also receive more than 180 standard definition channels for only $19.99 a month for the first three months, plus a free DVR upgrade, with next-day installation.

Much better then the $200 rebate offer DirecTV did. Oh, and they are doing equipment leases through this, so MPEG4 migration won't affect me beyond having to cable up a new box at some later date.

Seems patience is a good thing in this case. With the rumors that not all the Voom people filming content, people were suspecting some deal to move the programming elsewhere. Noone expected it to happen so soon though.

#250921 - 03/05/2005 03:32 Re: The fat lady has not sung! [Re: drakino]
drakino
carpal tunnel

*sigh*. I forgot how bad Dish is about offering anything to existing or past customers. Out of curiosity, does DirecTV get really problamatic as an existing or previous customer when trying to get new equipment? At this rate, it might be cheeper to go DirecTV. To get the equipment I want from Dish, I'm looking at nearly $800 and a self install. Popular rumor says DirecTV is adding channels in June, and some of those might be from the Voom service.

It would be nice if Dish did the same thing T-Mobile does. I can take advantage of any new cell phone deal by simply signing up for a new contract.

Voom wise, the box is still working fine to display off the air shows. The only noticible problem is the red satellite dish icon on the front, and of course the menus and such taunting what I can no longer receive.

#250922 - 03/05/2005 14:27 Re: The fat lady has not sung! [Re: drakino]
DWallach
carpal tunnel

DirecTV's new high-tech satelite is now in orbit. They haven't (so far as I know) announced an exact date for when they're going to start using it. Odds are, you'll get a much better deal as a new customer rather than an existing customer. On the other hand, they're running that Voom promotion.

If it was me, I'd just suck it up and wait until June and see what they do. You could well be an early adopter of their next-generation MPEG-4 boxes (and, presumably, some new kind of dish that can receive the original three satellites as well as the new one).

#250923 - 03/05/2005 15:30 Re: The fat lady has not sung! [Re: DWallach]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
Have they said where in the sky the new satellites will be? The current positions strike me as very odd that they're so low. I'd hate to be in a wooded area in the northern US, since I'm only halfway up the coast and already we had to top some trees to get a signal.

#250924 - 03/05/2005 15:46 Re: The fat lady has not sung! [Re: Dignan]
DWallach
carpal tunnel

Here's the location of the satellite (from Sea Launch's web site). You tell me how those numbers transfer to a location in the sky...

#250925 - 03/05/2005 16:24 Re: The fat lady has not sung! [Re: DWallach]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Woah, I have no idea. I was just thinking about what kind of angle they'd be at. As long as they aren't any lower than their old ones, I won't have a problem.

#250926 - 03/05/2005 17:02 Re: The fat lady has not sung! [Re: Dignan]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Quote:
The current positions strike me as very odd that they're so low.

"Low" is a relative term. Actually, every television satellite is at the same altitude. They're in a very carefully-managed ring around our planet that orbits exactly above the equator at an exact altitude. They call that "geostationary", meaning that the satellites orbit at exactly the same speed the earth turns. This allows the satellite antennas to stay pointed at a satellite without having to move and track it.

So it may strike you as "odd", but the laws of orbital physics say that the birds can't be anywhere else but in that ring. It's the exact opposite of odd, it's the only orbit they can have.

In terms of their chosen slots within the ring, the direcTV satellites are placed to sit more or less above the middle of the USA, but they orbit down at the equator, so all the direcTV dishes have to point South.

"Low" to someone might mean that you're on the East coast, and so the dish has to point pretty far southwest. Or you might be on the East coast and so the dish has to point pretty far southeast. Or maybe you're in the extreme north of the US and therefore your dish has to point very close down towards the horizon. But technically all the satellites are at the same height, and unless you're in the shadow of a building or a mountain, you should be able to get a shot at the birds.

Yeah, topping trees is an issue, but there's almost always someplace you can go with the dish to get a decent shot.

#250927 - 03/05/2005 17:18 Re: The fat lady has not sung! [Re: tfabris]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Yeah, that all makes sense. And I do mean lower in a relative sense. That's my problem and the one that anyone with any trees has. Any reason why they can't just place them further out, thus meaning we can point higher up at every location?

Quote:
there's almost always someplace you can go with the dish to get a decent shot.

Almost. The only one that is pretty easy to hit is the normal one. The current two with the HD programming are much lower, and that's the reason we had to top trees. We had to cut out a heck of a lot of branches (about 10 feet high, 30 feet wide, and 40 feet back), and we're still on the edge. In a few years they're going to have to be cut again. That's why I'm hoping that we don't have to point any lower. Any lower and they've got to be cutting out a large portion of their possible audience.

#250928 - 03/05/2005 17:32 Re: The fat lady has not sung! [Re: Dignan]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Any reason why they can't just place them further out, thus meaning we can point higher up at every location?

Yes, there is a reason they can't do that.

Physics time.

You know the old story about Galileo dropping things off the leaning tower of Pisa? Goes like this. Everyone assumes that heavier things fall faster than lighter things. But Galileo says nuh-uh, everything falls at the same speed regardless of weight. The only thing affecting the speed of something's fall is air resistance.

So he gets spheres, that are the same size but one is hollow so it's much lighter. Drops them off the leaning tower. They hit the ground at the same time. *gasp* he's right, yada yada.

Well, how this applies to satellites is:

All a satellite is doing is falling at the earth and missing. And missing at a very exact angle and speed so that they stay in that perfect orbit and it never changes. No matter what the weight or size of the satellite, the orbital mechanics are the same because they fall at the same speed based on the earth's gravity, which is a constant.

If they were higher up, they would have to be going slower in order to maintain the orbit. If they were lower down, they would have to be going faster in order to maintain the orbit.

And there are satellites which do go faster and slower, and are at different altitudes, sure. But... and here's the trick... those satellites are not geostationary. They are spy satellites or mapping satellites or GPS satellites or just about anything other than TV satellites. They are criscrossing all over the sky, constantly moving.

Whereas the geostationary satellites seem to sit in a neat little ring exactly above the equator, not moving.

And that's the trick, in order for them to appear to "not move", they have to be at that exact altitude. If they were lower, or higher, they would move in relation to the ground.

See?

#250929 - 03/05/2005 17:35 Re: The fat lady has not sung! [Re: tfabris]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

For interactive map in real-time of most known satellites:

http://science.nasa.gov/Realtime/JTrack/3D/JTrack3D.html

#250930 - 03/05/2005 17:37 Re: The fat lady has not sung! [Re: tfabris]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

I gotcha.

So why are they so low?

#250931 - 03/05/2005 19:15 Re: The fat lady has not sung! [Re: Dignan]
DWallach
carpal tunnel

Quote:
So why are they so low?

Because you're so high.

The radius of the earth is 6378km (according to Google) . A geosynchronous orbit is 42,300km (from the center of the earth). That's pretty high up, but, of course, the further you are away from the equator, the more extreme the angle to a geosynchronous orbit. The only way they could solve the problem would be to use a constellation of moving satellites, as with the Iridium or GPS satellites, but I imagine that raises a number of tricky technical challenges.

#250932 - 03/05/2005 19:27 Re: The fat lady has not sung! [Re: DWallach]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Okay, that last one was a joke. Hence the and even an extra

But thanks for the extra info. That's interesting.

#250933 - 17/06/2005 05:29 Final Voom bill, and an important clairification [Re: matthew_k]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Well, the last part of this saga finally came today. I have my final bill of service, and a note on the back that states:

"Set Top Box Update: In connection with the shutdown of Voom's business, Voom hearby transfers all rights, title and interest to all Voom equipment in your possession to you for your continued use. Your Voom equipment may continue to be used to receive some off-air digital/HD channels for some period, although there will be no program information or technical support available. In the event that you no longer have use for the equipment it must be disposed of in accordance with all enviornmental laws and regulations."

http://voom.com/ now fully has converted to being a site about the ten current channels Dish broadcasts, and does hint at two things. One, the other channels are still coming back at some point. It also does not state that Dish is the official carrier of Voom, just that they are a current carrier of the channels.

I was kinda hoping DirecTV would have announced, well, anything by now. Looks like their $200 offer will go unused.

*edit* - Reading some other peoples experiences, it seems Voom refunded back any cost in buying equipment if you didn't lease, as long as you kept service all the way to the last day. Some people got refund checks of nearly $1200. This aparently is keeping in line with their tradition of trying to treat customers decently. The initial "charter" members got $300 per box refunds in mid 2004 when the equipment prices droped that much. While Voom was owned by Cablevision, they very much ran themselves like a small business willing to be nice to the customers. It's really a shame they no longer exist as a provider.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2