Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#251724 - 15/03/2005 11:24 reboot command?
ukengb

Loc: United Kingdom
How can I reboot the empeg from the command line?

Sounds silly as there is a reboot command, but that and shutdown -r and init 6 all simply seem to restart the player app, whereas the 'site reboot' command via ftp does a true reboot.

So how can I get that same functionality from the command line?

#251725 - 15/03/2005 11:35 Re: reboot command? [Re: ukengb]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
Here's my reboot script:

Code:

#!/bin/sh
sync
rom
ro
echo reboot > /proc/empeg_notify

Invoking reboot this way causes a true reboot for me. I believe Hijack's taking care of business there. I also think Hijack tries to make sure the drives are mounted ro before it reboots, but you know, belt and suspenders.

#251726 - 15/03/2005 13:27 Re: reboot command? [Re: tonyc]
ukengb

Loc: United Kingdom
Ah that makes sense, thanks.

I did read somewhere Mark said that the site reboot command does the ro stuff first, but other reboot commands do not. But I cannot remember exactly what it was and in any case I might have got that the wrong way round. Trouble is I cannot find that post again.

Anyone know what reboot does what?

Also, how can I at the remote end of an ftp link find out if the ro command worked (so I don't reboot while it's still rw)? Or if site reboot handles the ro then maybe I don't need to worry.

#251727 - 15/03/2005 14:18 Re: reboot command? [Re: ukengb]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
Quote:
...but that and shutdown -r and init 6...

Which makes sense, because all that shutdown does is signal the init script. Since, on the empeg, init is a custom executable, it doesn't behave the same as a real init script, and simply restarts the player.