Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#25256 - 20/01/2001 07:37 Thanks everyone - it's working
crewe

Loc: London, UK
I have managed to upload some tunes! I still can't get VPC to work (either with USB or ethernet), but who cares?! Last night I created a new TCP/IP setting just for the empeg, and suddenly JEmplode saw the empeg and everything started working.

Here's what I did, step-by-step (for those who are interested):

1. Borrowed a PC. (First one didn't have a CD drive, 2nd one's CD drive was broken! So I went on line and....)
2. Downloaded latest Emplode software and empeg car software (slowly...)
3. Drank a lot of coffee and tapped my fingers on the desk.
4. Hooked up empeg with serial cable (very old PC so no USB)
5. Launched Emplode software. Doesn't launch - need Winsock 2.
6. Download Winsock 2 from web. (Slowly...)
7. Launch Emplode. Needs newer version of Internet Explorer to work.
8. Download IE5.5 (reeeeally slowly).
9. Ok. Launch Emplode. Woo-hoo - it works!
10. Upload latest empeg car software to empeg.
11. Empeg car shows up in emplode and starts downloading from player.
12. Assign the following info to the empeg:

IP addres: 10.1.1.1
Subnet: 255.255.255.0

13. Cheer up, go home.
14. Plug empeg into Mac via ethernet crossover cable.
15. Create new TCP/IP setting on Mac with the following info:

Connect via: Ethernet built-in
Configure: Manually
IP Address: 10.1.1.2
Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0

16. Launch JEmplode.
17. Set JEmplode options to 'Ethernet Broadcast' and click OK.
18. JEmplode brings 'empeg car 10.1.1.1' into view and starts communicating with the empeg.

So that's what worked for me.
Thanks to all of you for your ideas and help!

Sally

#25257 - 20/01/2001 07:42 Re: Thanks everyone - it's working [Re: crewe]
schofiel
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wareham, Dorset, UK
Exactly right. Congratulations, and by goodness are you patient.

Now, are you in on the track day?

One of the few remaining Mk1 owners... #00015

#25258 - 20/01/2001 07:55 Re: Teack Day [Re: schofiel]
crewe

Now, are you in on the track day?
Where's it going to be? I _love_ Brands! - it's there that I smashed the Roadster! : ( But if it wasn't for that smash, I wouldn't have thought about a respray... or a new interior... or 'proper' car audio... and hence, the Empeg, so...

I've also driven at Silverstone and Goodwood - Goodwood is lovely, but Brands is more fun. God, that hill! : ) Like a rollercoaster!

#25259 - 20/01/2001 08:04 Re: Teack Day [Re: crewe]
schofiel
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wareham, Dorset, UK
I used to race Pro-Am Yamaha 250 2-strokes in the early 80's and I had great fun on and off the track at Brands. However, it was coming out of Craner and going into Graham Hill that someone clipped my back wheel and caused a big crash while I was leading for the first time in my limited track career.

I went straight on, my left knee whacked the kerb at about 60 mph, and I stood up running, watching the bike bounce into the air before ploughing into the tyres. At this point, I realised the knee really hurt, and simultaneously, realised how much my jaw was gonna hurt when I had to tell Jerry I had smashed his brand new powervalve LC when I got back to the pits....

Haven't been back since, unforch. Haven't seen Jerry for a few years, either....

#25260 - 20/01/2001 09:48 Re: Thanks everyone - it's working [Re: crewe]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Fantastic. Now you can use JEmpeg. Sorry VPC never worked, though.

But now that you've got ethernet going on the Mac, you should be able to use VPC via ethernet (using the same settings) and that ought to work. For example, if you ever need to re-configure the Empeg with the real Emplode since JEmpeg doesn't have that particular capability.

Question: Somewhere during that whole procedure on the PC, did you manage to upgrade the Empeg player with the 1.02 software upgrade? What version of the player software are you running now? (You can check via the "About" menu on the front panel.)

Now, the only thing remaining is to set up your ethernet configuration so that your internet connection, the airport, and the Empeg all coexist peacefully without needing any configuration switching. Or do they currently work fine this way?

#25261 - 20/01/2001 09:51 Re: Thanks everyone - it's working [Re: tfabris]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Oh, and one other thing...

Empeg guys... this very patient lady has just given you a graphic example of why there should be the ability to set the player's IP address from the front panel...

#25262 - 20/01/2001 09:55 Re: Thanks everyone - it's working [Re: tfabris]
crewe

Somewhere during that whole procedure on the PC, did you manage to upgrade the Empeg player with the 1.02 software upgrade?
Yes, I upgraded the Emplode software and the player software. It's running 1.02 now.

Now, the only thing remaining is to set up your ethernet configuration so that your internet connection, the airport, and the Empeg all coexist peacefully without needing any configuration switching. Or do they currently work fine this way?
At the moment I am changing my TCP/IP settings back and forth to go on line or to load the empeg. It's not such a hassle - I'm just glad to get it working.

I'll try the VPC ethernet thing - that makes sense. Just got to make sure that VPC is using the Mac's TCP/IP settings rather than it's own. I remember seeing this option somewhere, so I should be able to sort that out ok. It's just quicker to launch JEmplode than VPC Emplode (VPC is so slow, but things will improve when I get my G4).

#25263 - 20/01/2001 10:03 Re: Thanks everyone - it's working [Re: crewe]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

At the moment I am changing my TCP/IP settings back and forth to go on line or to load the empeg.

It would probably be fairly easy to get the two things coexisting peacefully.

I don't know how it's done on the Mac, but on the PC you actually get two separate options for TCP/IP settings: One for the local LAN and one for the dial-up connection. If the Mac has something similar, then it should be a snap. Mr. Comb?

#25264 - 20/01/2001 14:22 Re: Thanks everyone - it's working [Re: tfabris]
mcomb
pooh-bah

Loc: San Carlos, CA
Actually that is one thing that is somewhat lacking under Mac OS 9. It is not really designed with multiple network interfaces in mind. She could use Location Manager to easily switch between the two though. The "right" solution would be to setup the airport base station using NAT and DHCP and give both the empeg and the mac 10.x.x.x addresses via DHCP with the airport. Then plug the empeg into the airport (or into a small hub plugged into the airport). Then she can have internet access and work with the empeg at the same time. Also, the empeg (or any other computer plugged into the hub) can have internet access at the same time. -Mike

#25265 - 20/01/2001 14:25 Re: Thanks everyone - it's working [Re: crewe]
mcomb
pooh-bah

Loc: San Carlos, CA
Congratulations! Glad to hear you got it working. -Mike

#25266 - 21/01/2001 08:19 Re: Thanks everyone - it's working [Re: mcomb]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Also, the empeg (or any other computer plugged into the hub) can have internet access at the same time.

Or any computer wirelessly connected to the airport...