Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#252621 - 08/04/2005 10:26 Re: Dr Who [Re: wfaulk]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

Loc: Atlanta, GA
Quote:
like we were trying to get back to where we were when our text adventure game crashed. (Exit. N. Show Paper. E. Z. Z. Take sphere. Exhale. Etc.)
Ah the memories . . .

#252622 - 08/04/2005 16:51 Re: Dr Who [Re: andym]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Not only was Chris Eccleston in it, it was written by the same guy who's doing the new Doctor Who, Russell T. Davies.

#252623 - 08/04/2005 17:02 Re: Dr Who [Re: wfaulk]
andym
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manchester UK
Yup, and it was filmed at my old faculty building at Uni, all the bits in the Police station that is.

Andy M

#252624 - 25/05/2005 23:24 Re: Dr Who [Re: andym]
WirelessOne
new poster

Loc: Sugar Land, TX, USA
It only occoured to me today that many of regulars here are actually located somewhere that the New Dr. Who is broadcast. I don't know about all of you, but I have been a fan since I was a kid and I love the new series. My kids (5 and 7) just can't wait for the next episode to come out each week. I think Christopher makes a great doctor and I will be sad to see his short run end. The only thing I can say negative about the new series is that it would have been nice if they would have stuck to the old 4 to 6 part format. I think it really left you wanting more and brought you back next week. With great things like the TiVo, you can get 'em all and never miss an episode. I know it will be top of my TiVo wish list when they decide to broadcast it here in the states. I'll also be first in line to buy the DVD box set when they release a Region 1 version.

So, what do you all think about the show now that they are about 1/2 way through the first season, and in general how is it being received over there in it's target audience / region?

--Steve

#252625 - 26/05/2005 02:05 Re: Dr Who [Re: WirelessOne]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Quote:
So, what do you all think about the show now that they are about 1/2 way through the first season, and in general how is it being received over there in it's target audience / region?

I know I'm not in its target region, but I think it's brilliant, best Doctor ever.

Hopefully I can talk about stuff containing spoiler material here?

I thought the Dalek episode was brilliant, watching the normally carefree Doctor completely snap when he first saw the Dalek was just a fantastic bit of acting, totally emmy-worthy, or whatever the British equivalent of that is.

He and Rose totally click, they've got a great chemistry.

The bit where Rose asks him who he is, and he gives her the speech about how he can feel the Earth moving beneath his feet at a thousand miles an hour... Wonderful and chilling and neat.

Wonderful one-liners throughout the series. My favorite so far is: "Lots of planets have a North." Especially how that one gets used as an occasional callback joke.

I'm practicing saying "Fantastic" the way he says it. Back in the old days, we used to count the number of "EEEeeexcellent"s that the bad guys said in Dr. Who episodes. Now I'm going to count the number of "Fantastic"s the Doctor says.

But it totally and utterly sucks in one important way:

WE DON'T GET IT OVER HERE YET, meaning I have to resort to downloading it. Sigh.

Now, mind you, that means I get a decent widescreen 16:9 presentation, in relatively high resolution, so it looks really good on my HDTV. I'm actually seeing it in a lot better quality than I would if it were coming over BBC America.

But still. I'd rather not have to resort to downloading in order to watch the thing. Sigh.

#252626 - 26/05/2005 16:28 Re: Dr Who [Re: tfabris]
WirelessOne
new poster

Loc: Sugar Land, TX, USA
No problem about spoilers. I'm all caught up as well.

I agree about the performance when the Doctor first sees the Dalek: Fantastic!

I had noticed the callback joke of the "lots of planets have a north". Just overall good stuff.

The Doctor and Rose really do have a chemistry. I wonder how that will go with the next Doctor. Also, they have fooled me a couple of times with the Boyfriend and the Smart Kid from the Dalek episode where I thought we were going to have a second sidekick.

I've caught myself dorpping a few copies "fantastic" into my daily conversation as well. When my wife is around she just rolls her eyes. She tolerates (and even quietly enjoys) my Dr. Who fandom (I've got about 20gigs of empeg dedicated to Dr. Who audio dramas and well over 100 videos from the original series), but she just can't resis giving me a hard time when some of it comes out in public. My fav is my "Hard Rock Cafe Gallifrey" t-shirt. One good thing is that I get a new video or two for each Birthday/Christmas, etc.

Not that I know anything about this "downloading" you speak of... but WOW the quality of those things (that I saw on some machine in an internet-cafe one day while passing by) IS really great. Whoever is "ripping" those things down must be directly recording the digital stream. I agree that the quality is better than what we would get over a local broadcast.

--Steve

#252627 - 26/05/2005 16:57 Re: Dr Who [Re: WirelessOne]
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK
Quote:
Not that I know anything about this "downloading" you speak of... but WOW the quality of those things (that I saw on some machine in an internet-cafe one day while passing by) IS really great. Whoever is "ripping" those things down must be directly recording the digital stream.

BBC1 (the channel it is broadcast on in the UK) is in clear on both digital satellite and digital terrestrial. So it is easy to capture the original mpeg stream straight off air with a PCI DVB-S or DVB-T card.

#252628 - 18/06/2005 22:52 Re: Dr Who [Re: andy]
andym
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manchester UK
Digging up an old thread here, and some possible spoilers...

Well, so much for Christopher Eccleston departing being a surprise, the seemed to have moved onto David Tennant quite smoothly, almost like they knew he was leaving before they finished filming.

Andy M

#252629 - 07/04/2006 17:45 Re: Dr Who [Re: andym]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
I'm sure all the Brits who are interested already know, but since the first season only just started airing in the US like a month ago, the new season (series ... whatever) of Doctor Who apparently starts April 15, 2006.

Get those BitTorrent clients warmed up....

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2