Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#254178 - 14/04/2005 08:53 Best drive configuration
CrackersMcCheese
pooh-bah

I've now got 3 hard drives and a DVD-RW and I'm not 100% sure if I've got them setup for maximum performance. Currently I have:

Main HDD as primary master
2nd HDD with mp3s, video etc as primary slave
DVD drive as Secondary master
3rd HDD with mp3s etc as secondary slave

Is this totally screwed up? Should I maybe have my main HDD and DVD burner on the same IDE channel?

#254179 - 14/04/2005 09:21 Re: Best drive configuration [Re: CrackersMcCheese]
peter
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge, England
Quote:
Is this totally screwed up? Should I maybe have my main HDD and DVD burner on the same IDE channel?

Well, the two considerations are (a) two devices on the same channel have to take turns using it, and (b) sometimes (perhaps only on Windows?) if you mix device speeds on one channel, it goes at the slower speed even when talking to the faster device. So if you often use a lot of bandwidth to both your primary master and primary slave simultaneously, you might improve things by moving them to separate channels. But if your DVD drive doesn't understand Ultra133 (or whatever the speed of your primary master is) then you shouldn't do that, because it might destroy the performance of whatever it shares a channel with.

Peter