Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#254598 - 04/05/2005 05:55 Re: Toy for the 13 steppers [Re: tanstaafl.]
canuckInOR
carpal tunnel

Loc: Portland, OR
I don't generally worry about crossing the lines -- I'm typically struggling with my concentration long before I get to the point of wandering over lines, so I'd have pulled off before your rule ever came into effect. I had a pretty scary experience several years ago with being tired -- I mistakenly took an overdose of cold medication, and, after a day of trying to stay awake at work, I went home. Halfway there, I pulled off into a golf-course parking lot to take a nap. I have a vague recollection of deciding to continue on home, but I don't remember if I'd taken the nap, or not. I woke up in bed with no memory of the remaining drive home. You're not going to get where you're trying to go, if you're dead.

#254599 - 04/05/2005 07:12 Re: Toy for the 13 steppers [Re: canuckInOR]
frog51
pooh-bah

Loc: Edinburgh, Scotland
After a couple of weeks of 20+ hour days driving, I remember waking up in the fast lane of the M74, seeing my exit and just managing to get off the road (3 in the morning, no other traffic thank god)...sadly I then managed to lose control up theexit ramp and take off my wheels by firing sideways over the roundabout at the top.

Since then I insist on work requirements taking 2nd place to my safety...and then some! It just isn't worth it otherwise.

On a similar note I overheard some truck drivers on a ferry to Ireland talking about how they register with multiple companies to get round the rest regulations. And they discussed how many of them had caused fatal accidents. Only one of the group hadn't!!!!!
MkII, 80Gb SSD in dock

#254600 - 04/05/2005 07:56 Re: Toy for the 13 steppers [Re: frog51]
andym
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manchester UK
I very nearly nodded off on the M1 into London one morning a couple of years ago, I'd set off from Manchester at about 5AM. Since then I insist on heading down the afternoon before and staying over night. I don't think I actually fell asleep, I could just feel my head go, which was quite scary.

That stuff about the lorry drivers was quite scary. I remember nearly being run off the road in thick fog by a lorry driver who didn't like the speed I was doing. It's all very well for them they're unlikely to kill themselves. The lorry in question had one of those 'How's my driving?' stickers on the back so when I got to safety I ran it and complained. Never heard a thing back.

Andy M

#254601 - 04/05/2005 12:15 Re: Toy for the 13 steppers [Re: frog51]
Redrum
old hand

Yea, falling asleep at the wheel killed my brother. Nothing to mess around with. Howver I think he had a problem there. He fell asleep at a Star Wars movie one time. No way you could do that without having issues.

#254602 - 04/05/2005 12:39 Re: Toy for the 13 steppers [Re: tfabris]
lectric
pooh-bah

Loc: New Orleans, LA
I once had very minor dental work done. NO2 was involved. I waited a little while after, to make sure I was ok from the gas and proceeded to drive home. I felt great until all of a sudden I realized that the lane I was driving in closed in about 30 feet, and I was doing 40. It's a good thing I was driving the sports car, not the jeep, or I never would have been able to stop in time. Point is, I felt great, but it took me an entire 30 seconds or so for it to register what all those silly signs on the side of the road telling me to merge left really meant. Scared me so much I called my dad to come pick me up and take me home. Imagine if someone in front of me hit their brakes and it took me 30 seconds to realize what THAT meant.

#254603 - 05/05/2005 01:46 Re: Toy for the 13 steppers [Re: Redrum]
canuckInOR
carpal tunnel

Loc: Portland, OR
Quote:
He fell asleep at a Star Wars movie one time. No way you could do that without having issues.

Nowadays, I thought that was the preferred option.

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4