Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#255652 - 08/05/2005 11:04 no memory error
MRB
new poster

hi guys
any ideas why I now get "no memory error" after synchronising with emplode, all soft ware is the latest and is running on a mkIIA, I have ordered pcats memory upgrade, will that cure it?. any help most appreciated. Also does anyone know someone who will install the illumination kit that I already have. I am in the UK
thanks

#255653 - 08/05/2005 16:01 Re: no memory error [Re: MRB]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Please specify the exact text of the error message, word for word. And please specify exactly where this message is appearing. Is it on the player's screen, or is it on the Windows screen?

Also, you say the software is "the latest", but do you mean the latest alpha version (3.0 alpha) or do you mean the latest stable final version (2.0 final)?

Also, are you synching with USB or with ethernet, and what version of Windows are you using? If you're using USB and Windows XP, make sure to read the FAQ about how USB+XP is tricky and needs you to hand-install an updated USB driver.

#255654 - 08/05/2005 17:13 Re: no memory error [Re: tfabris]
MRB
new poster

Exact text on the Empeg screen which flickers on and of at random is no_memory error
Software version 2 - beta 13
Hijack ver 246
synching via Ethernet and using Win XP Pro

hope this helps

#255655 - 08/05/2005 20:30 Re: no memory error [Re: MRB]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
You really ought to be more forthcoming with information.

Even just telling us that the "no_memory error" text was surrounded by a box outline would have told volumes here.

If you want help, you've gotta provide info!!

Now, in this case, the "no_memory" message is courtesy of Hijack, telling us that the software on your machine has run out of memory. This means it probably boots up fine and gets to the point where it is playing music, or about to play music. Then it dies. Most likely due to a corrupt MP3 file or corrupt playlist.

But without you volunteering more info.. fix it yourself.

Cheers

#255656 - 08/05/2005 20:57 Re: no memory error [Re: mlord]
MRB
new poster

So there was I a mere rookie of 7 posts looking for some guidance from your goodselves and and yes I did miss out the box surrounding the error, but do I know any better, certainly not, your tone seems a bit strong and I only hope from a guy with 6k plus of postings that you just having a bad day. Constructive criticism goes a long way, rather than a kick in the nads - give us a break
thanks anyway

#255657 - 08/05/2005 22:54 Re: no memory error [Re: MRB]
genixia
Carpal Tunnel

Can I ask why you think that you have the latest software? Or is that an assumption?

#255658 - 08/05/2005 22:58 Re: no memory error [Re: mlord]
webroach
old hand

Loc: Colorado
Wow. Not that it's really any of my business, and I'm sure I'm gonna get flamed for this, but I think that was pretty much uncalled for. Yes, MRB didn't give all the info necc. to properly diagnose his problem, but for goodness sake, he's only 8 posts in.

Give the poor guy a break and let's just help him fix his problem.

#255659 - 09/05/2005 00:08 Re: no memory error [Re: webroach]
mlord
carpal tunnel

If either of you take the time to actually *read* my reply, you'll notice I provided as much diagnosis as was possible with the information given, and asked for more info. That's PDG help for practically no cooperation from the beggar at hand.

Cheers

#255660 - 09/05/2005 00:21 Re: no memory error [Re: genixia]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Can I ask why you think that you have the latest software? Or is that an assumption?

Exactly. Both the s/w version (v2beta13) and the Hijack version (v246) are years out of date.

Cheers

#255661 - 09/05/2005 04:03 Re: no memory error [Re: mlord]
Schido
enthusiast

Loc: Probably lost somewhere in Wal...
maybe the v246 was a typo, and he meant v426?
Empeg Mk1 #00177, 2.00 final, hijack 4.76

#255662 - 09/05/2005 06:58 Re: no memory error [Re: Schido]
MRB
new poster

Hi Guys, Thank you for all your comments, things seem to of got off on the wrong foot, and I apologise for that.
To reiterate my fault this time without the panic factor.
Exact text on the Empeg screen which flickers on and of at random is no_memory error surrounded in a box
Software version 2 - beta 13
Hijack ver 426 (yes it was a typo)
synching via Ethernet and using Win XP Pro
I did take on board Marks comments and am currently re-synching my music database again from fresh. I don't know if this was the right thing to do as 21000 tracks are going to take some time, but hey it's under way as we speak.
Hopefully this will fix a bad playlist or corrupt mp3.
Once again thankyou for you help.

#255663 - 09/05/2005 07:01 Re: no memory error [Re: genixia]
MRB
new poster

You are quite correct in me assuming I have the latest software, I have followed the links on this site to obtain what I thought was the latest, should I be looking elsewhere I look to yourselves for guidance on where that could be found - thanks

#255664 - 09/05/2005 10:38 Re: no memory error [Re: MRB]
Attack
addict

Loc: Florida
Yeah a non-beta of 2.0 was released.
Click on "Latest Software" link on the top of this page
Click on "empeg car consumer software"

Also if your feeling daring you can run an alpha version of 3.0. Read in the "Announcements"area on this BBS to find were to download it. I would recommend only using Alpha8 as 7 and 9 are broken.

#255665 - 09/05/2005 11:23 Re: no memory error [Re: MRB]
mlord
carpal tunnel

The 21000 tracks is probably the real culprit. No need to re-upload the works, as it will likely make zero difference.

There's another thread around here somewhere that discusses issues related to that. Hopefully Tony or someone will pitch in with a link to it.

Definitely upgrade to v2.00 final or v2.01 final software before doing much else.

-ml

#255666 - 09/05/2005 18:33 Re: no memory error [Re: webroach]
edsmiata
addict

Loc: New Jersey
pity these boards have to become so personal...if we all wanted this much abuse we would all be married....

im with u MRB...mlord is being a pompus idiot

#255667 - 09/05/2005 18:58 Re: no memory error [Re: mlord]
Attack
addict

Loc: Florida
Quote:
The 21000 tracks is probably the real culprit. No need to re-upload the works, as it will likely make zero difference.

There's another thread around here somewhere that discusses issues related to that. Hopefully Tony or someone will pitch in with a link to it.

Definitely upgrade to v2.00 final or v2.01 final software before doing much else.

-ml

Here is the thread with the patch

#255668 - 09/05/2005 20:48 Re: no memory error [Re: Attack]
bonzi
pooh-bah

Loc: Croatia
IIRC, this Mark's patch only makes room on scratch partition for the current running order and data such as number of times a particular tune has been played. I am affraid that the only way that database resulting from this large a collection will fit in memory is, well, more memory.
Dragi "Bonzi" Raos Q#5196 MkII #080000376, 18GB green MkIIa #040103247, 60GB blue

#255669 - 09/05/2005 21:10 Re: no memory error [Re: bonzi]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Oh, that's what that was all about. Forgot that!

I wonder if the person has a Mk2 rather than a Mk2a player?
Or perhaps some 3rd party apps loaded?
Or perhaps an unnecessary "ReserveCache=" line in the config.ini file?

Otherwise, I believe others here have 21000 tracks working on Mk2a machines.

-ml

(duh.. of course I'll likely get flamed again for trying to help here)

#255670 - 09/05/2005 22:05 Re: no memory error [Re: bonzi]
MRB
new poster

This leads me back to my initial post, I guess I will have to wait for pcats memory upgrade - roll on order 30

#255671 - 09/05/2005 22:16 Re: no memory error [Re: MRB]
SonicSnoop
addict

Loc: Triangle, VA
I wonder if all the songs/software were wiped out (I know this would suck to do) and install the 2.0 final and newest hijack and install only say 1 playlist worth of songs and play them see if you get the problem.
-D Modifying and Tweaking is a journey, not a destination................................ MKIIa : 60gig - 040103286 - Blue - v2 + PCATS tuner MKIIa : 20gig - 040103260 - Blue - v3a8 + Mark Lord Special Edition Cherry Dock

#255672 - 10/05/2005 04:42 Re: no memory error [Re: edsmiata]
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK
with all respect, Mark has earned the right to be a pompus idiot, just occasionally...

#255673 - 10/05/2005 10:36 Re: no memory error [Re: MRB]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Quote:
This leads me back to my initial post, I guess I will have to wait for pcats memory upgrade - roll on order 30

There are others on this BBS with around 21000 or more tracks on their Mk2a players; I wonder what is different between their setups and yours.

Brad -- you tuning into this?

-ml

#255674 - 10/05/2005 11:25 Re: no memory error [Re: mlord]
pgrzelak
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Greetings!

Sorry. I have not been online as much lately. With the 21000 tracks, the interesting question is not the number of tracks - it is the number of playlists. I have never had trouble loading huge numbers of MP3 files, but I can and will crash the sync every time when trying to upload a large quantity of playlists at the same time. I suspect that the playlists are handled differently from regular files, and that there is a fixed memory limitation (variable initialization?, structure size?) that is getting overflowed with too many playlists.

When it locks up with emplode, is it during the playlist phase of the upload, or during individual MP3 files?

#255675 - 10/05/2005 12:42 Re: no memory error [Re: mlord]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
You were helpful, except for this shot:

Quote:
But without you volunteering more info.. fix it yourself.

If you'd just said "I can't help" instead of "fix it yourself", all would be good.

And it's not like he didn't provide the information you needed at this point. He has no way to know that the fact that it's in a "box outline" is relevant. Do you describe the decoration of a dialog box when reporting errors in a GUI? Sure, you and I and a few other can detect when it's Hijack onscreen instead of the player application, but most can't. In fact, you were able to deduce without error the fact that it was in a "box outline", which would imply that that information is redundant anyway.

In addition, you gave a reasonable explanation for what might be happening and implied how to solve it. So what was the information you were unable to provide because he didn't provide enough information?

#255676 - 10/05/2005 13:18 Re: no memory error [Re: wfaulk]
mlord
carpal tunnel

While I don't normally respond to personal attacks upon myself, this thread is getting ridiculous. Since Bitt is a friend of mine, I'll reply *once* only:

Quote:
So what was the information you were unable to provide because he didn't provide enough information?

If I knew what the vital missing info was, there'd be no need to ask for more info. Duh! In this case, a later post by the same person mentioned 21000 tracks, which turns out to be rather important here -- totally invalidating the inital theory I posted. Knowing that at the outset would have helped. But other people also have 21000 tracks, and don't have this problem. So there's still more info somewhere that might help figure out what is different in this scenario.

My days helping others here are now done with.

Cheers

#255677 - 10/05/2005 13:55 Re: no memory error [Re: mlord]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
The thing is, Mark, you were being helpful, but then you had to take that cheap shot at the end.

I think folks here overreacted slightly. You probably didn't mean it in the way it came across. But that doesn't mean that I don't understand their reaction.

I know that as a software developer, you expect better bug reports, and usually get them, and when you don't, it's because the reporter is either lazy or incompetent. But you're dealing with end users here. They're completely different animals. They don't know what's important and what's not important. I'll admit that his first post was skimpy, but we asked for more information, and he provided it -- every piece he was asked for. If you think that the number of total tracks is relevant (and it is), then you need to ask for it. Maybe we should have a boilerplate for making help requests. It would be nice if people could know what's important and what's not, but there's just no way that he could have known to provide that information without being asked for it.

And, Mark, I'm not attacking you, personally or otherwise. I'm just pointing out that you definitely came off as abrasive. You either need to expect people to be defensive about that or make sure you don't come off as abrasive. If your last sentence is any indication, you've taken the latter course, to an extreme. That's certainly within your rights. You've given us a lot of stuff with no expectation of payback, and we appreciate it. And we'd continue to appreciate it. But that doesn't mean that people aren't allowed to be upset when dismissed abruptly. (Again, I'm inclined to think that that came off differently than what you intended simply based on the fact that you were helping.)

As for everyone else, and I should have said this before, if you have a problem with Mark, you should talk to him about it, or if you have to make rude remarks about him (in the guise of being supportive of someone else), at least do it behind his back. Calling him a jerk to someone else while pretending he isn't "standing" right there is just rude, and there's no call for it. Again, if you think he was being rude, tell him. Otherwise, keep your public mouths shut.

#255678 - 10/05/2005 17:53 Re: no memory error [Re: wfaulk]
SonicSnoop
addict

Loc: Triangle, VA
Maybe Tony could revise this thread to indicate more info thats needed when asking for help so there is no question? Just a thought.
-D Modifying and Tweaking is a journey, not a destination................................ MKIIa : 60gig - 040103286 - Blue - v2 + PCATS tuner MKIIa : 20gig - 040103260 - Blue - v3a8 + Mark Lord Special Edition Cherry Dock

#255679 - 10/05/2005 18:33 Re: no memory error [Re: mlord]
rob
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge UK
There are so few new owners these days that I think we're forgetting how to help them! If empeg ownership becomes an elitest clique where folks are derided for not phrasing their plea for help quite right, then I guarantee there will be no community at all before long. We should welcome new owners with open arms - that's one more player pumping out tunes instead of rusting in a garage.

I hope our long standing and often esteemed empeg friends remember back to a time not so many years ago when I and others laboured through thousands of posts of repetitive questions to help get this community off the ground. Believe me, some of today's highly respected owners were a support nightmare at times

This post isn't aimed at Mark (I'm not sure I was ever called upon to help him with any problem - it was more the other way around!) but I think this thread is touching on an emerging theme within our group.

Rob

#255680 - 10/05/2005 19:15 Re: no memory error [Re: rob]
pgrzelak
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
...an emerging theme within our group...

I wish I could say "I don't know what you mean" or pretend that it is not true. But I also feel that there has been a shift, slow but gathering speed. It is not just support or user questions, either. For me, the entire feeling of the board is different somehow. I find myself more guarded, posting less and less, avoiding or skipping more and more threads.

Part of that is my own. I know I am less patient than I should be. With other distractions, I find it harder to spend the time listening or helping out.

Part of it is the board. Rob, I believe you are correct on that theme building, but that it is far wider than just a few threads or questions.

Wherever this leads, even if it is to the dissolution of the board / community, it was and still is to a large degree the best internet community I have ever seen and had the pleasure (well, most of the time... ) to be associated with.

#255681 - 11/05/2005 06:54 Re: no memory error [Re: rob]
peter
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge, England
Quote:
Believe me, some of today's highly respected owners were a support nightmare at times

Incidentally Mike turned to me yesterday and said, "You read the BBS a lot, what do <these symptoms> mean is wrong with my screen?"

Peter

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >