Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#255682 - 11/05/2005 07:38 Re: no memory error [Re: pgrzelak]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Quote:
With the 21000 tracks, the interesting question is not the number of tracks - it is the number of playlists. I have never had trouble loading huge numbers of MP3 files, but I can and will crash the sync every time when trying to upload a large quantity of playlists at the same time.

This is good and important info, thanks.

Someone remind me, when I get back home on the 17th (I'm currently off on a jaunt), to create a FAQ entry specifically about dealing with large numbers of tracks and all of the things that can go wrong related to it. And also to link that FAQ entry from the drive upgrade guide.

Oh, and Mark:
We love you. We really do. Please don't get mad.

And everyone else:
Go easy on Mark. We've all had our moments. Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.

#255683 - 11/05/2005 13:55 Re: no memory error [Re: MRB]
matthew_k
pooh-bah

Loc: Berkeley, California
I don't think anyone's mentioned it. The likely culprit is a lot of information in the ID3 tags. I beleive all of each ID3 tag is stored in the database, thus making not only the number of tracks important but the extraneous information included.

Matthew

#255684 - 11/05/2005 15:29 Re: no memory error [Re: pgrzelak]
edsmiata
addict

Loc: New Jersey
Paul,

FWIW...i have felt that this player, and the board, is catering to those who like to tinker with programming and tweaking the player in order to make it 'more powerful' and/or 'efficeint'.

I wonder then if the Empeg was 'closed source' would there in fact be any problems to troubleshoot.

Hence...the fact that the player was originally designed to provide the user with a quatity of songs that up to that point in time was not available is no longer its main focus

playing around with the code is now main topics of discussion in these boards....the primary use of the unit is secondary, at best

I dont pretend to know a fraction of what you guys are talking about when it comes to memory, kernels, digital whatever....all i know is that i can bring 10K songs along with me, all neatly arranged in playlists for ease of selection...and boast that i own a product that was, and is, unique and most probably will never make it to prodution again...

perhaps these boards are bored with the topic as there is pretty much nothing left to talk about!

Ed

#255685 - 12/05/2005 10:41 Re: no memory error [Re: tfabris]
rob
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge UK
Quote:
Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.

..haven't seen him online for a while..

Rob

#255686 - 13/05/2005 15:41 Re: no memory error [Re: rob]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
ROFL

PS: Regarding your user-icon-avatar thingy. I finally got to see some "Invader Zim" while staying with friends in Seattle. Saw the episode where that animation came from. Hilarious show. Favorite quote from the show so far: "HAVE YOU THE BRAIN WORMS?!?!?!"

#255687 - 15/05/2005 17:33 Re: no memory error [Re: tfabris]
rob
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge UK
You expect me to pay to be on this filthy machine?
Quote:
"HAVE YOU THE BRAIN WORMS?!?!?!

Prepare yourself, hideous creature of meat and hair. Your incredible love adventure begins NOW!

#255688 - 15/05/2005 17:42 Re: no memory error [Re: tfabris]
webroach
old hand

Loc: Colorado
My favorite exchange ever in the show is when Zim is trying to test Gir's new guidance system, and they end up getting hopelessly lost in the city. When Zim tells Gir to use the guidance chip to get them home...

GIR: Oh, I left it at home.
ZIM: You left what at home?
GIR: The guidy... Chippy... Thingy.
ZIM: Why would you do that?!
GIR: To make room for the cupcake!

...after which a cupcake pops out of Girs head.

#255689 - 18/05/2005 21:02 Re: no memory error [Re: pgrzelak]
schofiel
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wareham, Dorset, UK
This "shift" started around the end of last year, and I had been feeling more and more worried that things/attitudes were changing. This was one of the reasons I started the "Rob'll Fix It" sponsorship thread in December/January. The responses I got confirmed my feeling that there had been a subtle change here that I had somehow missed. The soul had gone.

It feels even worse now. Flames and massive political/religious discussions have taken over from music and fun. Sorry, not what I am really interested in
One of the few remaining Mk1 owners... #00015

#255690 - 18/05/2005 21:03 Re: no memory error [Re: rob]
schofiel
carpal tunnel

Where is the Lord God when we need him?

#255691 - 19/05/2005 02:17 Re: no memory error [Re: schofiel]
robricc
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
The state of this community is really a just shadow of what it used to be. There's no more excitement for the empeg player. Most people that have an empeg couldn't do without it. Even so, lots of people are beginning to sell their spares. That's a testament to the quality of aftermarket support, but indicates people are losing interest (from my point of view).

I, for one, still check this board constantly throughout the day. For the past few weeks I’ve noticed hours go by during the day without a single post in any forum. This used to be unimaginable.

Without new software being hyped, why would most users come here? The empeg crew isn’t even posting about new hardware here. I’m not saying it’s their duty to, but that would be exciting. It would be like people being attracted to this board to hear the latest news about Pearl, the Visteon unit, or version 1.1.

How many times can you talk about fun things like what your favorite beer is? God forbid you even think about driving after drinking said beer. You will be flamed. Did I just say God? I must be some churchy kook and must be flamed. Did I just call churchy people kooks? Now I really must be flamed!

I admit that I usually am a pretty negative person, but I think Rio really dropped the ball on a lot of things. All the possibilities that could have come from the empeg code base have gone nowhere. Yeah, we got ogg support but very little else since the firesale. The Karma is at the end of its life and its successor is nowhere in sight. Who the hell is Cowon and where do they come-off bringing something like this to market while Rio is competing against every factory in China that can put a memory chip, LCD screen and headphone jack into a plastic housing? Why is a screen-less iPod Shuffle even considered over a Rio Forge?

This community is falling apart fast. Key figures don’t post for months at a time. Fewer meets are happening. Fewer and fewer people attend meets that do happen. People are growing up and getting more responsibilities like jobs, marriages, kids, and houses. Cars are becoming increasingly difficult to put an empeg in.

How many people are going to the European meet? It’s 7 weeks away and I don’t know anything about it other than the dates and my flight number. I’m not saying Rob S should be hyping it every day, but nobody is talking about it.

This board may exist for many years to come and I will see it to the end. But, it is becoming a much different place.

#255692 - 19/05/2005 16:42 Re: no memory error [Re: matthew_k]
MRB
new poster

HI Guys, unfortunately been in Rome on business since my last post but here's an update on what I have done to rectify things. Please bear in mind I may not have needed to do this but needs must.
1 - Stripped the player to check the 2 80gig drives I installed where ok etc
2 - Rebuilt the drives with the hard disk builder
3 - Defragged and scanned my music library for errors (4 - bad segments were found and rectified)
4 - Checked every single one of the 22121 tracks with Ashampoo on my music hard drive (few errors found)
5 - Rechecked them with a small utility called wimpck-english-0.03 (for piece of mind)
6 - Installed Emplode ver 2.00 only
7 - Synched the above 22121 tracks
8 - Guss what! - no errors whatsoever (yes I do realise that it was a Hijack generated error)

With great respect to Mark, should I install the latest Hijack now or wait until I get my ordered memory from Pcats, what do you think?

#255693 - 19/05/2005 17:29 Re: no memory error [Re: schofiel]
bonzi
pooh-bah

Loc: Croatia
Quote:
This "shift" started around the end of last year, and I had been feeling more and more worried that things/attitudes were changing. This was one of the reasons I started the "Rob'll Fix It" sponsorship thread in December/January. The responses I got confirmed my feeling that there had been a subtle change here that I had somehow missed. The soul had gone.

I have to admit I was also a bit surprised at how few people expressed interest in sponsoring 3 beta (actually, obtaining it; I thing that virtuall all who were interested were also willing to participate in sponsoring it). True, three years ago it would be unthinkable not to be interested in a new piece of good empeg software. But, empeg was then an exciting new toy; now it is simply a part of our lives, like good old comfortable slippers. The atmosphere of the board is different: before we were like partying youngsters; now we prefer to have a beer and chat about our children. The soul has not gone; perhaps the youth has.

Quote:
It feels even worse now. Flames and massive political/religious discussions have taken over from music and fun. Sorry, not what I am really interested in

I am certainly responsible for many of those political/religious discussions (if only for a very occasional flame). Understand me: there is no place that I know of with so many intelligent people with different geographical, political, professional and what not background. Those are important or at least very interesting topics for me, and I genuinely wish to hear coherent opinions different from mine. However, after several "everybody is against us" reactions I am much more careful now and sometimes resort to private communication with some board members. Again, pitty: that way you mostly hear from those who agree with you, anyway...

I believe I will finally make it to The Meet this year. I promise I will not be a bore, but if you judge I am spoiling the atmosphere, fell free to kick me and make me busy with another beer
Dragi "Bonzi" Raos Q#5196 MkII #080000376, 18GB green MkIIa #040103247, 60GB blue

#255694 - 19/05/2005 17:46 Re: no memory error [Re: robricc]
bonzi
pooh-bah

Quote:
God forbid you even think about driving after drinking said beer. You will be flamed. Did I just say God? I must be some churchy kook and must be flamed. Did I just call churchy people kooks? Now I really must be flamed!

Come on, it is not that bad. Though, we sometimes are too sensitive to 'flames' - are loud arguments not common among friends? One is cooly polite towards strangers, no?

Perhaps I am not as fired up about new developments as I used to, but it was very extiting to see that Patrick's memory board and Marks "raw partition hack" together with new high capacity disks will finally let me have all of my collection on my empeg, as guys@empeg intended.

I will never sell my spare (I am more likely to buy more); perhaps I might give or lend it to some friend of mine. And I am probably finally coming to The Meet.

Otherwise, I mostly agree.
Dragi "Bonzi" Raos Q#5196 MkII #080000376, 18GB green MkIIa #040103247, 60GB blue

#255695 - 19/05/2005 18:13 Re: no memory error [Re: MRB]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
Quote:
With great respect to Mark, should I install the latest Hijack now or wait until I get my ordered memory from Pcats, what do you think?

I may be more than a little biased, but.. definitely install the latest Hijack. It has zillions of useful features built-in, at least a few of which you'll rapidly find to be indispensible. As for *which* features, that's different for each of us.

My favorite is still the "PopUp0" menu on the short knob press -- allows easy access to functionality that normally requires the remote control (or navigating a complex series of menus).

Cheers

#255696 - 19/05/2005 18:29 Re: no memory error [Re: mlord]
bonzi
pooh-bah

Quote:
My favorite is still the "PopUp0" menu on the short knob press -- allows easy access to functionality that normally requires the remote control (or navigating a complex series of menus).

Mine too. Next is suppression of regular fscks.

#255697 - 19/05/2005 18:49 Re: no memory error [Re: bonzi]
frog51
pooh-bah

Loc: Edinburgh, Scotland
I got the no memory error for the first time today, eventually traced it to ttsclock seeming to grab too much memory and not let go, so sadly as I keep adding music, ttsclock has to go...for now

I have got extra RAM physically in my empeg, but that darned wire from pin124 on the StrongARM to pin 14 was just too awkward. Wonder if I can bribe some steady handed solderer to complete the job for me at Amersfoort!

Worth a bottle of Highland Park whisky?

(I guess emphatic is taking up some memory, but I love it - that and hijack are the two essentials on my empegs)
MkII, 80Gb SSD in dock

#255698 - 19/05/2005 20:05 Re: no memory error [Re: bonzi]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Loc: Detroit, MI USA
Quote:
I have to admit I was also a bit surprised at how few people expressed interest in sponsoring 3 beta

IIRC, a lot of people were interested but:
a) Rob seemed distressed that people (including myself) didn't understand how much money he was actually asking for. I seem to remember a lot of people, in just a few short days, saying they'd love to contribute.
b) Hugo piped in and hinted that it may not be realistic or that some of these things may have already been worked on.

At that point, a lot of us assumed there were some discussions going on between Hugo and Rob, that perhaps could have taken place prior to the creation of the thread. So, in addition to understanding that some of us wanted to see what was going to pan out between Hugo and Rob, I wouldn't consider a lack of disposable income (once we were told our offers of 50 bucks here and there) the same thing as lack of interest.

What got me down were all of the "conditions" put on some people's money demanding such and such features. But I guess that's understandable too. Maybe we're spoiled getting all those Hijack, Jemplode, emphatic, Logoedit, empegface, Palitir, etc, updates for free.

#255699 - 19/05/2005 20:20 Re: no memory error [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
bonzi
pooh-bah

Quote:
Rob seemed distressed that people (including myself) didn't understand how much money he was actually asking for. I seem to remember a lot of people, in just a few short days, saying they'd love to contribute.

Well, perhaps we did not realize at first the effort was estimated at about 6 man-months or so, or did not do out arithmetic afterwards...

Quote:
What got me down were all of the "conditions" put on some people's money demanding such and such features. But I guess that's understandable too. Maybe we're spoiled getting all those Hijack, Jemplode, emphatic, Logoedit, empegface, Palitir, etc, updates for free.

Yes, and many people said "well, 2.0 final is good enough". But I think that Rob is right that three years ago he would have no trouble collecting enough "sponsorships" to work on this full time.

#255700 - 20/05/2005 00:46 Re: no memory error [Re: robricc]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
The state of this community is really a just shadow of what it used to be.

True, but this is a normal and completely predictable state of affairs as core members of the bbs "age out" of the system one by one.

There are no new empegs to replenish the membership, and bit by bit people move on to different interests in their lives and leave the community.

Besides that, really, how much discussion of our beloved empegs can we do after five or six years of incessant chatter? We've pretty much said all the obvious stuff, and the remaining stuff is so esoteric as to not be of that much interest to the non-technical user.

I have long ago lost interest in the empeg-related discussions, not because they are uninformative or uninteresting, but because my player with v2.0 final software is rock solid and stable, and it does everything I am even remotely interested in having it do! I use my player to play music, and the occasional audiobook. That's it. I don't need nor want more memory or more hard drive space or a GPS application or a way to display the lyrics or games or who knows what else. I have no quarrel with those who do, indeed, I have a lot of respect for people with the knowledge and determination to make such things work. But reading about such things holds little interest for me, and I suspect that my viewpoint may be that of the majority of current and former bbs members.

My interest in the bbs is now almost entirely the Off Topic forum. I love the disccusions of religion, and politics, and whatever else comes up there, and despite what some people are saying, I cannot recall ever seeing anything that could truly be called flaming. The people on this bbs are certainly the most intelligent, knowledgable, and articulate people with whom it has ever been my privilege to associate, and as long as people like bonzi, pca, altman, schofiel, tfabris, wfaulk, jeffs, mlord, mlwest, peter, rob, robricc, se_sport_driver, kayakjazz, julf, and a host of others (I know I've left out a lot of people, and I apologize for the omission) contribute to this board, I can guarantee that I will be here too, and hopefully even make a few contributions of my own.

In the long run, though, everything must come to an end. When this community finally goes away, I will mourn its passing. But... life goes on.

tanstaafl.

#255701 - 20/05/2005 06:58 Re: no memory error [Re: bonzi]
julf
veteran

Loc: Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Quote:
[I believe I will finally make it to The Meet this year.

Great! I will again do what I did last year - fly in from the US in time for the meet (yes, live in Amsterdam, but have to spend July 4 in New Jersey - nonnegotiable).

Unfortunately this might be the first year I *won't* bring Yet Another New Vehicle. Due to this winter having been extremely busy, I still haven't gotten the 101 EW truck on Dutch plates...

#255702 - 20/05/2005 12:00 Re: no memory error [Re: julf]
frog51
pooh-bah

Loc: Edinburgh, Scotland
Well, I hope lots of folks turn up - this will be my first year at Amersfoort
MkII, 80Gb SSD in dock

#255703 - 20/05/2005 13:17 Re: no memory error [Re: frog51]
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK
We were leaving making our decision on whether to come or not for when the sign-up page went up. We didn't expect that to be left so close to the date of the meet...

(not meant as a dig against RobS or anyone else involved in organising the event)

#255704 - 20/05/2005 14:50 Re: no memory error [Re: robricc]
mtempsch
pooh-bah

Loc: Gothenburg, Sweden
Quote:
How many people are going to the European meet?

Me definately. Been changing ADSL-supplier (0.5-> ~14 Mb/s), been battling my laptop hardware wise (fan and drive) and software (need XP etc for work [which I hope to be back to in not too long...] Anyone seen XP boot up and act as if there were no accounts (local) at all (no user icons on the [presumedly] login page, nothing happens on Ctrl-Alt-Del ? Started on reboot after the latest patches. Safe, last known good config all do the same...
Since two weeks also spending half the days doing work related rehab and evaluation.

#255705 - 21/05/2005 08:12 Re: no memory error [Re: mtempsch]
bonzi
pooh-bah

Quote:
Since two weeks also spending half the days doing work related rehab and evaluation.

Ugh, half a year has passed since the last post in "Status of mtempsch" thread, and I thought you were as good as new for months! How are things going healthwise?

Cheers!

#255706 - 21/05/2005 14:09 Re: no memory error [Re: bonzi]
mtempsch
pooh-bah

Loc: Gothenburg, Sweden
Quote:
Quote:

Ugh, half a year has passed since the last post in "Status of mtempsch" thread, and I thought you were as good as new for months! How are things going healthwise?

Cheers!

Pretty good!

Checked out of [live in] rehab Jan 28, been home, doing a bit of physiotherapy to build on the strength of the left side for an hour twice a week as well as a bit each day at home with elastic bands. Once the outdoor temperature elevated above b---y cold and the rain stopped I started riding the bike back and forth to the physiotherapy (bit less than 4 km away) Makes you feel a lot more "normal"... Still not allowed to drive . did a checkup of the vision Feb 28 and till had dropout of the lower left quadrant of the left eye (from initially being both upper and lower left quafrants on both eyes). Doesn't bother me in the daily activities at all, but still means they wont let me drive yet. Still hopeful as it feels like it's improved since the checkup. As of 2 weeks I'm back in rehab but geared towards checking atatus before a [hopefully] retun to work. Trying to determine capacity, any possible residual problem areas etc etc.

But generally quite OK. No running yet, but walking freely with just a minor occasional limp.

#255707 - 24/05/2005 19:34 Re: no memory error [Re: andy]
schofiel
carpal tunnel

The event is on - don't you worry.

The date is fixed - it's in the calender (has been since last year). It's fixed because people need to book tickets a long way ahead to get low prices. Some are travelling half way around the world to get to it.

The only thing missing is the booking website: the costs are similar to last year, the organisation is the same.

Best of all - you lot are going to be there to have some fun together: something it seems we are all forgetting to do.

Be there (need I say it?) - or....

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2