Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#25581 - 25/01/2001 07:38 Wires... what color does what...
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Loc: Detroit, MI USA
some of the wires are colored for my empeg included harness, but some aren't....

what do te ORANGE, WHITE and GREEN wires do? The BLUE one says "Ant. Remote" but I am assuming that is for the amp right?

Also, the adapter I got from Crutchfeild has a red 12 v. wire, but I don't see where this would connect to on the empeg?

12gig Mk. II BLUE
Detroit, MI USA
www.PfeifferBeer.com

#25582 - 25/01/2001 09:42 Re: Wires... what color does what... [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
Smoker_Man

Loc: Calgary, CANADA
Yes, the blue one is the Amp. remote line, it turns on the amp when the empeg turns on.

As for the Orange, Green, and white(headlight sensor) lines, are you looking to use the rectangular wiring harness? or are you going to use the rca's and the 4or5 wire connector?

I dont remember exaclty which wire goes where, but when I get home I will look at my spare docking sleds and can reply with more info.

I would recommend not using the rectangular wiring harness(although it does have all the neccessary connections, remote & speakers) I would use the rca's and the less wires harness, you will need to splice (butt-splices work great) the amp remote, 12vdc ground, headlight sensor, etc.

This is a better way to do this, I will see if I can pull my docking sled out slightly to snap some pics of all the connections.

But I am sure someone has already done that, actually, look at loren cox's empeg install pics, I think (if I remember) he actually has a couple of shots with the sled not in place, but all the connections made.

does this help?

Smoker_Man
#080000449 MkII - 36Gb Blue

#25583 - 25/01/2001 09:57 Re: Wires... what color does what... [Re: Smoker_Man]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

I looked for his pics... but couldn't find them...

So the white is the dimmer eh?... How does power get to the empeg? I see the "memory 12v" cable, but is there a place to plug in my 12 v red wire? The car stereo (factory) in my car lets me turn on the radio even when the car is turned off... so maybe I wont need it.

thanks!

Brad

12gig Mk. II BLUE
Detroit, MI USA
www.PfeifferBeer.com

#25584 - 25/01/2001 10:24 Re: Wires... what color does what... [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
I don't understand why there's confusion for you, every wire should be carefully labeled, and there are also notes on the wiring in the Empeg user's manual. You did get one with your empeg, right?

Okay, the wires break down as follows (I got these values from the user manual PDF file, please double-check that your player has each of these colors before connection to make sure that I don't have an out-of-date version):

BLACK - Ground. Connect this to either the car frame or the car's wiring harness ground wire.

YELLOW - Permanent power input. Connect this either directly to the battery (via a fuse of course) or to the car's wiring harness permanent +12v power connection (sometimes called "memory).

ORANGE - Ignition sense input. This is the one that allows you to turn the Empeg on and off with the car's ignition. Connect this to the car's wiring harness ignition +12v power line.

WHITE - Headlight sense input. This is how the Empeg knows when you turn on your headlights so that it can dim the display (dimmer value adjustable in the "settings" menu). Technically, it doesn't really sense the headlights, it senses the dashboard lights. Connect this to the car's wiring harness dashboard lighting power line.

BLUE - Amplifier remote power control line. This tells the amplifier when to activate. Connect this to the blue wire on your amplifier(s). NOTE: Do not attempt to power the amplifiers via this line, your amps should be connected directly to the battery via a fuse block.

GREEN - Mobile phone mute input. Connect to the mute wire of your mobile phone.

RCA OUTPUT PLUGS (4) - Connect to your amplifier.

RCA INPUT PLUGS (2) - Connect to whatever you want to use as an AUX input to the Empeg.

SMALL BLACK ROUND CONNECTOR - Microphone input. Not used in the current version of the software, but in the future it will be used for voice recognition.

SMALL WHITE CONNECTOR - AM/FM Tuner module connector. Will be used when the AM/FM tuner modules become available.

Okay, does that answer all your questions?

#25585 - 25/01/2001 10:36 Re: Wires... what color does what... [Re: tfabris]
Smoker_Man

Loc: Calgary, CANADA
hehe, answered all mine!

So thats what the little wiring harness is for....duh!

Yup, that is pretty much the description of what does what.
In my install, I spliced the yellow, orange and black connectors, to use my old tape/cd-changer deck as the aux unit.

But thats where my install is different.

Smoker_Man
#080000449 MkII - 36Gb Blue

#25586 - 25/01/2001 10:44 Re: Wires... what color does what... [Re: Smoker_Man]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

So, did you guys, like, not get manuals or something? All that stuff's in the manual...

#25587 - 25/01/2001 12:29 Re: Wires... what color does what... [Re: tfabris]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

I um... sorta lost my manual last week at work! I am wondering if one of my co-workers is reading up on it! :) But, only SOME of the wires on the harness that came with the empeg are labeled on mine... And, I don't have an Orange Ignition Sensor wire on my factory sensor, but there is a Red one labeled "12 v.Power" so I am thinking that is for the ignition?

Just found the PDF of the users manual! Thanks!!

12gig Mk. II BLUE
Detroit, MI USA
www.PfeifferBeer.com

#25588 - 25/01/2001 12:34 Re: Wires... what color does what... [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

And, I don't have an Orange Ignition Sensor wire on my factory sensor, but there is a Red one labeled "12 v.Power" so I am thinking that is for the ignition?

Either my PDF copy of the manual is an old one, or the wires changed colors since the manual was written, or the wire changes color from one connector to the next.

But if all the other colors match up, and you don't have any extras, then yeah, that'll be the ignition wire. (Red usually is ignition in most car installations, and in fact I was surprised when the manual said orange. I can't remember what the color was when I installed the Mk2.)