Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#256716 - 24/05/2005 08:22 Re: The good of the community... [Re: rob]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Loc: Detroit, MI USA
Quote:
Quote:
I hadn't really noticed anything other than hugo and rob don't post too much anymore.

Actually we post a lot in the private break away community that you guys aren't allowed to know about!

Rob

I believe this actually. My "Pop Will Eat Itself" seemed to pull Hugo out of the woodwork pretty quick.

#256717 - 24/05/2005 09:31 Re: The good of the community... [Re: mlord]
andym
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manchester UK
Quote:
Piss off, Andy!

Thank you for that. This might make Amersfoort interesting this year. In future I'll try not to express an opinion that is incompatible with the thoughts of senior members.

Andy M

#256718 - 24/05/2005 10:31 Re: The good of the community... [Re: andym]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
Sorry about that Andy (really).

I just no longer feel welcome on this BBS, and the ongoing negative postings directed at me are having an effect. Especially when they come from people I've met in person and shared the odd brewsky or two with.

Ahh.. those were the days.

I believe I'll take a break, now.

#256719 - 24/05/2005 11:31 Re: The good of the community... [Re: mlord]
Daria
carpal tunnel

Loc: Providence, RI
Quote:
Sorry about that Andy (really).

I just no longer feel welcome on this BBS, and the ongoing negative postings directed at me are having an effect. Especially when they come from people I've met in person and shared the odd brewsky or two with.

I guess I missed something. If it was me, I'm sorry. If it wasn't, well, I'm still sorry, but that's less meaningful.

#256720 - 24/05/2005 11:42 Re: The good of the community... [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
webroach
old hand

Loc: Colorado
Good for you, Brad, starting this thread. I think it was much needed.

I just, for some reason, found myself rereading this thread. Maybe everyone concerned could do the same. It was nice to see how people all came together on this board and showed their true quality.

Just a thought...

#256721 - 24/05/2005 12:03 Re: The good of the community... [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
What is going on???? This really is quite bizarre. I feel like one of those background people in the movies, and I'm just sitting at the bar when the action comes bursting through the front window.

I know my place. I'm pretty much useless in the forums here as a source of help when compared to the helpful people here. As such, I never read the other forums anymore because I can be of no help, and I've been content with my empeg for...oh...4.5 years. So I'm fine with just reading the Off Topic forum and getting help from the wonderful people here.

Imagine my surprise when, having been here every day, I suddenly see this stuff about how the BBS is in decline, everyone here is mean and unhelpful, and everyone is suddenly mad at Mark!

This message board is my most frequent stop on the web. I keep a tab open in Firefox all day long, and refresh dozens of times a day, and not just because I frequently have a question out there, but because I enjoy reading the threads here because they're actual conversations.

We're as strong as ever, people!

#256722 - 24/05/2005 12:31 Re: The good of the community... [Re: mlord]
rob
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge UK
Quote:

Speaking as one of the baddies who thought your posting was a little curt in that support thread, I think I should also comment on how blown out of proportion this whole thing has become. I'm sure the original issue was a misunderstanding of the "tone of voice" which is easily misinterpreted on a BBS. Either way it doesn't seem like a big deal on the scale of things.

The responses have been inflated on both sides, leaving a few of us (I suspect) wondering if we actually want to turn up to Amersfoort this year. I was quite looking forward to my first year of sitting at the back and not having to say anything

Peace!

Rob

#256723 - 24/05/2005 13:33 Re: The good of the community... [Re: rob]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Rob, you'll *never* count as a "baddy" in my books. And do have a grand time at Amersfoort, folks. I'll be thinking of y'all, and so will your (hijacked) players.

Cheers

#256724 - 24/05/2005 14:14 Re: The good of the community... [Re: rob]
Taym
carpal tunnel

Loc: Roma, Italy
Quote:
blown out of proportion this whole thing has become

So true. On the other hand, this also means that people involved are sensitive and care about each others' opinion. Which is good, and deserves respect and understanding. And, it also means that all people involved are intelligent, good hearted, and wise enough, and they definitely are, to understand that misunderstandings do happen to everybody, but what really matters in such cases are the intentions behind people's actions or statements. So, if I am allowed to give a suggestion, please put a smile on your faces, and shake hands.
You are all too smart and nice to let this thing go on any longer. I have little time to be here, and still I fight every day to find few minutes and stop on the empeg bbs, where I feel so welcome in spite of everything. I doubt my job will ever allow me to come to Amersfoort, and still I hope and try every year. You know why? Because you're so cool. And interesting. And welcoming. And that's the reason why this place still exists. Just stop giving importance to a misunderstanding, because we all see that's all it was.
MK2a #040103216 * 100Gb *All/Colors* Radio * 3.0a11 * Hijack = taympeg

#256725 - 24/05/2005 18:43 Re: The good of the community... [Re: mlord]
Laura
pooh-bah

Loc: Greenhills, Ohio
You're always welcome to come to the Indiana meet

*waves*

MKI #017/90

whatever

#256726 - 24/05/2005 19:41 Re: The good of the community... [Re: Laura]
mlord
carpal tunnel

[waves]

Thanks, Laura. I think I'll be a last-minute definite-maybe as usual. September 23-25 are the dates I have in my calendar right now. Are those firmed up?

Cheers

#256727 - 24/05/2005 21:07 Re: The good of the community... [Re: mlord]
bonzi
pooh-bah

Loc: Croatia
Quote:

We have not met, regrettably, but I hope you will take my word for this: I (and, I am sure, everybody here, including those with 'negative posts', which, presumably, includes myself ) wish very much to continue enjoying not only your contributions, but also simply your company here. Hijack, 'zillion tunes hack' and technical advice aside, I enjoy very much your photos, geocaching advice, contribution in political threads (where we are often on 'the same side', if that expression makes sense)...

Now, perhaps we should follow good advice by several posters here and just drop it.

Cheers!
Dragi "Bonzi" Raos Q#5196 MkII #080000376, 18GB green MkIIa #040103247, 60GB blue

#256728 - 24/05/2005 21:35 Re: The good of the community... [Re: mlord]
Laura
pooh-bah

Loc: Greenhills, Ohio
Dates are now September 16th - 18th and since it's at my house, it doesn't matter if people come at the last minute. You can either stay here free or there are hotels near by.

MKI #017/90

whatever

#256729 - 26/05/2005 11:10 Re: The good of the community... [Re: bonzi]
boxer
pooh-bah

Loc: Yorkshire UK
What a bittersweet thread, how saddening and how sad......and yet how encouraging that people feel so strongly about this, the best of all possible BBS's: So diverse and shared by so many interesting people.

Throughout my personal and business career you have those letters, conversations and latterly emails where you wish you could pull the words back and swallow them - I'm sure that people in this thread must feel that way about things that they've posted.

Amersfoort is at the very top of things I look forward to each year and for my part, I shall be looking forward to picking up conversations and renewing friendships with people whom I know are friendly, accommodating and interesting: That's a definition of an Empegger - and there are many that I still hope to meet, either at the meet, or as as I make my way around the universe.

I recall meeting Jim Hogan a couple of years back, the first thing that he said to me was: "I know who you are, you talk just the way you post" and that for me sums it up, so many people that I know that I'll get along fine with because I know them from this, as I say, best of all possible BBS's.

#256730 - 26/05/2005 12:50 Re: The good of the community... [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
Phoenix42
veteran

Loc: MA but Irish born
I like this place, I probably visit it too often in the opinions of my employer, and many of the conversations are over my head - you don't want my playing with a soldering iron, and my Linux extends as far as fsdk'ing my emepg and only then with the instructions for the FAQ.

So I definitely get more from then I give to this community, I've always felt free to ask dumb techie questions and not felt looked down upon. Heck I've often asked questions after I've blown something up at work and you lot have saved my bacon.

Oh hang on, I have helped out others here, I mailed PCA batteries on a few occasions, and I felt a little bit of pride looking at some of his creations. Fantastic stuff.

As for someone feeling bruised...this place is actually very civil and that's a good thing, there are enough places out there with extremists. I think most people here have a healthy respect for others and accept that others can have different opinions.

#256731 - 27/05/2005 01:44 Re: The good of the community... [Re: Phoenix42]
lectric
pooh-bah

Loc: New Orleans, LA
I for one am mainly a lurker, but I feel some strong attachment to several of you people, none of whom I've ever actually met. I must say that it literally scares me that something could happen to this board. This is the ONLY BBS I'm a member of, and likely will be the only one in the foreseeable future. I must say, I haven't been able to check nearly as often in the recent past due to some personal problems so I have -=NO=- clue what everyone is upset about. It hurts me to see people that I respect angry at each other. I wouldn't know what to do if it weren't for the help of those on this board.

Mark, no matter what I owe you too much to ever be upset with you. (especially since I don't know why people are upset). But I want you to know that I think fondly of you at LEAST twice a day. (When I get in my car to and from work ) PLease know that you are certainly appreciated here.

As to the other aggrieved party, I don't even know who it is, but I can honestly say that there is no-one on this board that I wish weren't here.

Anyway, I'll quit dribbling on about nothing and start lurking again.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2