Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#259320 - 20/09/2006 13:26 Re: I have worked out what is causing it, just don't know why [Re: andy]
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK
Looking at the Hijack patches, it looks like Mark removed the "turn off screen" option in Hijack back in 2004 with version 352 (presumably for this very reason). Unfortunately I am still on 309

Time for an upgrade me thinks...

#259321 - 20/09/2006 16:18 Re: I have worked out what is causing it, just don't know why [Re: andy]
frog51
pooh-bah

Loc: Edinburgh, Scotland
Good to hear you managed to sort it - I still hadn't managed to find my old info and was toying with delving into the dash again to find out.

I heartily recommend v462 (or 463 if you need it:-) - it has so many lovely fixes and tweaks for things. From 309 to 462 will need a quick revisit of your config file options, but they are documented in the FAQ and various posts.
MkII, 80Gb SSD in dock

#259322 - 20/09/2006 17:29 Re: I have worked out what is causing it, just don't know why [Re: frog51]
andy
carpal tunnel

I'm on v462 now and am much happier with it all now.

I would still be interested to see what changes you made to the adapter, as at the moment the only change I made was to cut powered aerial and feed it to my amp remote. So if you do manage to track down the details, send them over.

Is it normal for an empeg and/or Scooby for it to take 20 seconds for the empeg to detect the ignition being turned off. The same issue means that if you:

- turn off the ignition
- remove the empeg
- come back a few minutes later
- reinsert the empeg

it then turns on straight away, rather than waiting for the ignition. If you don't then turn on the ignition it then turns off again when the ignition voltage drops low enough.

I have to troubleshoot the tuner now, I'm getting just about no signal at the moment (I tried giving the Scooby harness aerial wire 12V in case there was an amp, which didn't help). I'll have to dig out my other tuner and see if it has the same problem.

Time to go and read up on tuner troubleshooting.

#259323 - 21/09/2006 12:26 Re: I have worked out what is causing it, just don't know why [Re: andy]
andy
carpal tunnel

Quote:

Time to go and read up on tuner troubleshooting.

A very silly one this, I simply hadn't pushed the tuner plug far enough into the aerial adapter. The tuner is now working well.

#259324 - 21/09/2006 12:59 Re: I have worked out what is causing it, just don't know why [Re: andy]
JBjorgen
carpal tunnel

Loc: Columbus, OH
That switched line sounds weird. Not like any one I've ever dealt with. I'd be looking around in the dash or the fuse box for a true switched line that's either on or off....none of this fading out slowly bs.

#259325 - 21/09/2006 13:19 Re: I have worked out what is causing it, just don't know why [Re: JBjorgen]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Yeah, um... Any chance that the wire you're using for switched line is actually the line for interior illumination?

#259326 - 21/09/2006 14:28 Re: I have worked out what is causing it, just don't know why [Re: tfabris]
andy
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Yeah, um... Any chance that the wire you're using for switched line is actually the line for interior illumination?

Don't think so, the car doesn't have that slowly dimming interior lighting function that some do. I am 100% sure that the line that slowly drops when the ignition is off is the one used by the OEM headunit.

There are no lines on the OEM harness that operate in the expected on/off way. I have checked them all.

I have also checked all the fuses to find one that has power only when the ignition is on. I could only find two, but they only have power when the headlights are on.

I must have missed one, as I know that the cigarette light socket only have power when the ignition is on.

I'm going to put up with the behaviour as it is for now. It works well enough for our Europe trip. I'll sort it out properly later.

#259327 - 21/09/2006 14:41 Re: I have worked out what is causing it, just don't know why [Re: andy]
JBjorgen
carpal tunnel

Loc: Columbus, OH
Quote:
I must have missed one, as I know that the cigarette light socket only have power when the ignition is on.

Perfect. Just tap that wire when you get the chance. I'd imagine it's not too far from the empeg, so it should be easy to run the wire.

#259328 - 27/09/2006 11:31 Re: Scooby amp install [Re: andy]
ithoughti
old hand

Loc: Boston, MA USA
hey Andy, are you on www.NASIOC.com?

I know it's 'north american subaru impreza owners club' but there is a ton of info you can find in the forums.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2