Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#260805 - 19/07/2005 09:38 The Harry Potter VI thread (SPOILERS)...
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
No spoilers in this post, but just in case...

So, anyone else finished reading it yet?

#260806 - 19/07/2005 10:01 Re: The Harry Potter VI thread (SPOILERS)... [Re: Roger]
pgrzelak
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Greetings!

Finished it on Sunday morning. At this point, I am waiting for the audiobooks so I can encode / load them. I expect the US / Jim Dale version (ick) today. The UK / Stephen Fry version (YES!) from amazon.co.uk when it is published in August.

Edit: I am pretty sure I know who R.A.B. is also...

#260807 - 19/07/2005 11:39 Re: The Harry Potter VI thread (SPOILERS)... [Re: pgrzelak]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Quote:
I am pretty sure I know who R.A.B. is also...

Damn you :-)

Now I need to scour the other 5 books to see if I can work it out...

Only I can't find my copy of "Phoenix".

#260808 - 19/07/2005 11:45 Re: The Harry Potter VI thread (SPOILERS)... [Re: pgrzelak]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Finished it on Sunday morning.

Got it Saturday lunchtime, finished it Sunday night.

#260809 - 19/07/2005 11:51 Re: The Harry Potter VI thread (SPOILERS)... [Re: Roger]
pgrzelak
carpal tunnel

You have a PM... <evil grin>

#260810 - 19/07/2005 13:10 Re: The Harry Potter VI thread (SPOILERS)... [Re: Roger]
Heather
addict

Loc: NY
Got it friday night. Finished it Saturday evening. I've got a pretty strong idea of who RAB might be as well.

So, my question is, who thinks Snape is still working for the order?

"I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." -Susan B Anthony

#260811 - 19/07/2005 13:20 Re: The Harry Potter VI thread (SPOILERS)... [Re: Heather]
pgrzelak
carpal tunnel

Moot point. Even if he was, he certainly would not be welcomed at the moment. The best he can hope for is to go it alone. I am sure he will not survive book 7.

#260812 - 19/07/2005 13:30 Re: The Harry Potter VI thread (SPOILERS)... [Re: Roger]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

Loc: Atlanta, GA
It was delivered to my doorstep on Saturday afternoon . . . unfortunatly I left the house at 12:00 for Georgia so I missed. My sister did buy the CDs, though, so I've at least started the book (through the first chapter).

Jeff

#260813 - 19/07/2005 13:31 Re: The Harry Potter VI thread (SPOILERS)... [Re: JeffS]
pgrzelak
carpal tunnel

BEWARE: You are in the spoilers thread. I strongly recommend you swap to the other thread if you wish not to be, well, spoiled...

#260814 - 19/07/2005 15:15 Re: The Harry Potter VI thread (SPOILERS)... [Re: pgrzelak]
Heather
addict

Loc: NY
Quote:
Moot point. Even if he was, he certainly would not be welcomed at the moment.

Not exactly. Didn't he and Dumbledore have several arguments about how he MUST do something he didn't want to do? That could well have been it, and someone else in the order may have known of the plan. Not entirely out of the question Killing Dumbledore himself also allows an out for Malfoy, who in his hesitation kinda points to his not being and evil prick in his own right, but that way because that's what mom and dad expect of him and have made of him. Better to sacrifice Snape and give Malfoy a way to distance himself from the other Malfoys (as sirius was an embarassment to most of the blacks).

So paul, mind PMing me your theory on RAB so I can compare notes?

"I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." -Susan B Anthony

#260815 - 22/07/2005 02:57 Re: The Harry Potter VI thread (SPOILERS)... [Re: pgrzelak]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

I just finished . . .

Quote:
I am pretty sure I know who R.A.B. is also...
I have a guess that seems to make sense. Care to share your thoughts?

#260816 - 22/07/2005 03:01 Re: The Harry Potter VI thread (SPOILERS)... [Re: pgrzelak]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Moot point. Even if he was, he certainly would not be welcomed at the moment.
Perhaps, but I think that Snape was working for good somehow and it'll all come to light. Voldemort is an Archtype of evil- Snape doesn't seem to be.

Plus, he could have easily attacked Harry for real in that last scene, but he didn't. In fact, he even prevented Harry from casting an unforgivable curse.

#260817 - 22/07/2005 08:12 Re: The Harry Potter VI thread (SPOILERS)... [Re: JeffS]
pgrzelak
carpal tunnel

Valid points about Snape. I think you are right - he was protecting Harry with the unforgivable curses. But he will never be trusted, and will likely be attacked by the Order on sight. He may turn on Voldemort at the end (along with Pettigrew, perhaps), but I still doubt he will survive book seven, or that he will have anything but a neutral reputation (like Regulus or Karkaroff) at the end.

Speaking of Regulus Black, Sirius's younger brother... A former Death Eater, later tried to get away from it and was hunted down and killed by Voldemort and crew. They say it only took one day for him to be found and killed... He really must have really pissed someone off for some reason...

JKR has never given his middle name, but his uncle's name was Alphard...

#260818 - 22/07/2005 10:06 Re: The Harry Potter VI thread (SPOILERS)... [Re: pgrzelak]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Speaking of Regulus Black,
Yeah, exactly who I was thinking . . .

#260819 - 22/07/2005 11:08 Re: The Harry Potter VI thread (SPOILERS)... [Re: JeffS]
Tim
veteran

Loc: Arizona
Quote:
Perhaps, but I think that Snape was working for good somehow and it'll all come to light. Voldemort is an Archtype of evil- Snape doesn't seem to be.

Plus, he could have easily attacked Harry for real in that last scene, but he didn't. In fact, he even prevented Harry from casting an unforgivable curse.

Didn't he say something along the lines of the Dark Lord wanting to kill Harry himself? If so, he didn't so much as save Harry as avoid pissing off Voldemort.

- Tim

#260820 - 22/07/2005 11:31 Re: The Harry Potter VI thread (SPOILERS)... [Re: Tim]
pgrzelak
carpal tunnel

That is also true.

Hmmm... A random theory that might be amusing to think about. Remember Dumbledore discussing horcruxes, and that the snake (a living thing) might be one? And how dangerous it was to make one from a living entity with a mind of its own?

I wonder if Voldemort might have tried making infant Harry one. That might explain why Harry was not killed, the strange link they have, etc.

Mere speculation.

#260821 - 22/07/2005 11:56 Re: The Harry Potter VI thread (SPOILERS)... [Re: Tim]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Didn't he say something along the lines of the Dark Lord wanting to kill Harry himself?
Yeah, which makes for a very good excuse of not taking Harry out himself while he has the chance.

One of the only questions yet to be resolved in the story is why Dumbledore trusted Snape, so it'd be kind of weird to discover why he did in the last book, only to realize he was wrong. Rather we've been set up to think Snape cannot possibly be good, and we know how much JKR likes to pull the rug out from under us.

It seems to me, though, that the ONLY evil thing Snape has done so far (since he's claimed to be good) is to kill Dumbledore. Yet Dumbledore was clearly seeking him out at that point and they'd had words earlier about something Snape did not want to do. And all of this was after Dumbledore's speach about not fearing death. What do you think Dumbledore was pleading for Snape to do at the end? Rescue him? If that's all Dumbledore expected, he'd hardly have had to plead with one of his own to do it. Instead, he froze Harry so he couldn't be invovled and then stalled for enough time that Snape could come and kill him.

I could be wrong on all of theis, but I don't think Dumbledore is easily deceived- and he stood up for Snape pretty hard.

#260822 - 22/07/2005 12:03 Re: The Harry Potter VI thread (SPOILERS)... [Re: pgrzelak]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

Quote:
I wonder if Voldemort might have tried making infant Harry one.
Yeah, I've thought of that- it certainly fits with the whole "he chose you" thing. However, I'm not buying it for this story. It seems a little too dark. Would Harry have to kill himself in order to destroy Voldemort? Of course, that'd only be if Voldemort was successful . . .

If he were, though, that might explain how Voldemort used Harry to get his body back . . .

Funny thing on me. . . . I always thought that of the previous books, the second sort of had the weekest link to the overarching story. It seemed that the diary was sort of a diversion and an excuse to deal with Voldemort without actually having him in the story. Boy was I wrong!

#260823 - 22/07/2005 12:12 Re: The Harry Potter VI thread (SPOILERS)... [Re: JeffS]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Would Harry have to kill himself in order to destroy Voldemort?

But that doesn't fit the prophesy: "only one can survive".

#260824 - 22/07/2005 12:27 Re: The Harry Potter VI thread (SPOILERS)... [Re: Roger]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

Quote:
But that doesn't fit the prophesy: "only one can survive".
I don't think so, because then neither would survive. Plus, it'd make for a crummy ending!

#260825 - 22/07/2005 12:33 Re: The Harry Potter VI thread (SPOILERS)... [Re: JeffS]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

Oh, one more thing about Snape. We're sitting here thinking that obviously Snape is evil because he killed Dumbledore when about one chapter earlier Harry did almost the same thing by force-feeding him that potion- doesn't that seem a bit coincidental? If the potion had killed Dumbledore we'd have forgiven Harry because Dumbledore knew it was for the best and asked Harry to do it. Now we know Dumbledor asked Snape to do something for him but we don't know what it was. It seems to me Harry was not the only one following difficult orders.

#260826 - 22/07/2005 14:49 Re: The Harry Potter VI thread (SPOILERS)... [Re: Roger]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

Here's an interesting interview with JKR about the book. At first she seems a little amused at the idea of Regulus being RAB; however, at the end she really starts hinting that Regulus might come into the story some more. She doesn't really say much about Snape, other than she's not going to shut down the theory that he was working on DD's orders.

One the note for Regulus, it seems a lot of people are suggesting that he is still alive- that he is actually Stubby Boardman. We'll see I suppose . . .

#260827 - 22/07/2005 15:26 Re: The Harry Potter VI thread (SPOILERS)... [Re: JeffS]
pgrzelak
carpal tunnel

Ah well. "All these questions, and many more, will be answered in the next episode..."