Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#261332 - 25/07/2005 23:55 Rush meets Marilyn Manson? Name that tune.
FireFox31
pooh-bah

Loc: East Coast, USA
<rambling preamble> Driving home from work tonight, not in my Fearsome Five-speed Furious Five-cylinder, but in my sister's hefty-wagon. So, no empeg, combined with oddball underground music on the only radio station I ever listen to, forced me to the only *other* radio station I listen to: New Jersey's biggest talk radio station's evening rush hour guys. You can imagine how thrilling that is.

The rush hour guys played a bit of a song and were commenting how cool it was. Through the thick texture of hardcore speed industrial, I heard someone (something?) barking out the lyrics "...and what you think about his company is what you think about society...", quite possibly while the singer was choking himself.

<the actual question> So, what DO you get when you cross Rush with Marilyn Manson or Trent Reznor or Front Line Assembly? Has anyone heard this rework of "Tom Sawyer", and if so, who is the artist? Being a fan of Rush and a fan of (almost) all things techno, I'm actually interested in finding this track. Any ideas?

#261333 - 26/07/2005 01:09 Re: Rush meets Marilyn Manson? Name that tune. [Re: FireFox31]
webroach
old hand

Loc: Colorado
Heh.

TOO easy!

It's (obviously) a cover version of "Tom Sawyer", performed by Mindless Self Indulgence. It's on the "You'll Rebel To Anything" album.

What do I win?

#261334 - 26/07/2005 01:33 Re: Rush meets Marilyn Manson? Name that tune. [Re: webroach]
webroach
old hand

Loc: Colorado
Hrm. Now that I think about it, it could also be Deadsy. They did a version of Tom Sawyer, too. On their "Commencement" album.

#261335 - 26/07/2005 02:22 Re: Rush meets Marilyn Manson? Name that tune. [Re: webroach]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Quote:
performed by Mindless Self Indulgence. It's on the "You'll Rebel To Anything" album.

Heh, this brings up one of my recent odd ways to buy new music. This track, along with two others I liked from two other bands was used in a World of Warcraft video that some player made to show off an Alliance raid on Horde towns. That led to me buying 2 cds so far, and I'm tracking down the third still.

Not sure where buying music based on video game movies is ranked against one of my other methods; buying based off of music heard in a movie trailer.

#261336 - 26/07/2005 07:51 Re: Rush meets Marilyn Manson? Name that tune. [Re: FireFox31]
pgrzelak
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
You mean that there is actually a decent radio station in New Jersey? I never knew that! That is one of the reason I first started burning audio CDs (in the office on a "state-of-the-art" DOS based, rack mounted 1x SCSI burner) and then moved to the empeg oh so many years ago...

#261337 - 26/07/2005 12:22 Re: Rush meets Marilyn Manson? Name that tune. [Re: webroach]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
I don't know why, but I would guess Deadsy. I saw them at the family values tour (worst concert ever up until STP came on). They played that there and I couldn't believe that they were. It was not very good. No offense to people who are into them, but I couldn't stand them.

Ugh, what a terrible show...

#261338 - 26/07/2005 13:50 Re: Rush meets Marilyn Manson? Name that tune. [Re: Dignan]
RobotCaleb
pooh-bah

Loc: Austin
MSI ROCKS!
Deadsy, OTOH, BLOWS!

#261339 - 27/07/2005 22:50 Re: Rush meets Marilyn Manson? Name that tune. [Re: RobotCaleb]
FireFox31
pooh-bah

Loc: East Coast, USA
Ok, I'll try to track down MSI. Thanks for the input!

Paul, yes, the good radio station in NJ is Princeton University - 103.3 FM. Quality classical all morning, jazz and far out stuff mid day, then indie and whatever else the college student DJs pick in the afternoon. Never the same thing twice.